Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 07:59

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 08:21
Hi everyone,

Can I please get your opinion on this. I was admitted to UCLA with about a half tuition scholarship and to NYU with no scholarship. My ultimate goal is to end up in investment management (might have to recruit for equity research out of school). NYU is a better in overall finance, but I hear buy-side opportunities are very limited. UCLA seems to have a great student investment fund with lots of buy-side connections on the west coast, although it will be still really tough to land any without prior investment management experience. there doesn't seem to be many equity research positions on the west coast.

I know a huge factor is if I want to end up living in california vs NYC, but coming from the South, both seem like they'd be great places to live in. I think my personality is a better fit at UCLA, and all the students/alumni absolutely love UCLA, but NYU would naturally offer more finance opportunities being in NY. What do yall think?

Thanks in advance
VP
VP
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 403 [0], given: 239

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 08:31
Expert's post
jon757 wrote:
Hi everyone,

Can I please get your opinion on this. I was admitted to UCLA with about a half tuition scholarship and to NYU with no scholarship. My ultimate goal is to end up in investment management (might have to recruit for equity research out of school). NYU is a better in overall finance, but I hear buy-side opportunities are very limited. UCLA seems to have a great student investment fund with lots of buy-side connections on the west coast, although it will be still really tough to land any without prior investment management experience. there doesn't seem to be many equity research positions on the west coast.

I know a huge factor is if I want to end up living in california vs NYC, but coming from the South, both seem like they'd be great places to live in. I think my personality is a better fit at UCLA, and all the students/alumni absolutely love UCLA, but NYU would naturally offer more finance opportunities being in NY. What do yall think?

Thanks in advance

Definitely think hard about where you want to be. Recruiting into Manhattan from UCLA is tough -- yes, you can land great finance jobs from there but you'll likely be in SF or Southern California.

It sounds like you like UCLA better but are looking at NYU because it's the 'right' finance choice. I know where you're coming from for sure but if I were you, I'd visit both campuses during admit weekend and see what the options are. Culturally they're pretty different and you might find you fit with one better over the other.

aerien

Why Yale | My Advice For Younger Applicants

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 304 [1] , given: 163

Premium Member
Re: UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 08:48
This post received
KUDOS
jon757 wrote:

I know a huge factor is if I want to end up living in california vs NYC, but coming from the South, both seem like they'd be great places to live in.

Unfortunately this is what it comes down to as UCLA places a huge chunk of their graduates in LA, and NYU naturally places in NYC.

It really depends on what type of finance jobs you're looking at. If you want wall street, NYU is the obvious choice. Otherwise, since you're coming from the south and aren't tied to either area, I'd do research on the two cities, not just the schools.

For instance, LA is very spread out, traffic sucks, but the weather is great, and places like Hermosa Beach, Huntington beach, etc, are a short drive away. New York may be congested, but it's very convenient to get around on foot or subway...even if you live in New Jersey.

Good luck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

VP
VP
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Followers: 25

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 19

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 09:54
Expert's post
This is posted in the “Part-Time MBA” forum, so I assume the choice is between the part time programs. My advice is to go to the school closest to you. It will make recruiting much easier, since you can just drop in on the company presentations, and network with the recruiters (as opposed to having to travel just for regular recruiting).

If this is for full time, you should really research a bit more about the opportunities to graduates as it relates to investment management. On appearance, both have similar placement rates Stern at 6% and Anderson at 7%, but it’ll be better to have a deeper understanding into these numbers.

Diversity

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:11
asimov wrote:
This is posted in the “Part-Time MBA” forum, so I assume the choice is between the part time programs. My advice is to go to the school closest to you. It will make recruiting much easier, since you can just drop in on the company presentations, and network with the recruiters (as opposed to having to travel just for regular recruiting).

If this is for full time, you should really research a bit more about the opportunities to graduates as it relates to investment management. On appearance, both have similar placement rates Stern at 6% and Anderson at 7%, but it’ll be better to have a deeper understanding into these numbers.

What the heck, I didn't mean to post it in the Part-Time forum. Thanks for the input everyone. I've done a lot of research on opportunities and specific programs in investment management, and I think it'd be really hard to break into from either (edge goes to NY). I've visited both schools and both were really great (edge goes to UCLA). I guess, like you guys said, it comes down to where I want to work afterwards. Going to move this to the full-time forum and get more opinions. Thanks again
Current Student
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE: Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 304 [0], given: 163

Premium Member
Re: UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:18
jon757 wrote:

What the heck, I didn't mean to post it in the Part-Time forum.

Moved it to the appropriate forum. I figured it was in the wrong place judging by the schools in your profile and people don't usually choose between NYU or UCLA PT.

You've got a great problem on your hands.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fWvub_WBho

Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2013, 10:19
Dood, the other people nailed it. Go where you'd like to work after graduation. You'll have to network regardless of which school you go to.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 96

Re: UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2013, 03:35
codytravers wrote:
Dood, the other people nailed it. Go where you'd like to work after graduation. You'll have to network regardless of which school you go to.

if you do decide on nyu or are really torn by the $. update them on ur accomplishments since applying, let them know they're your top pick, and let them know about the money to ucla. ask them to reevaluate you for merit scholarship.

first, like others said, focus on geography.
Re: UCLA (with $$$) vs NYU   [#permalink] 21 Mar 2013, 03:35