Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UCONN vs Babson PT MBA Decision Assistance

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

UCONN vs Babson PT MBA Decision Assistance [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2012, 09:22
Hello,

I am requesting opinions if you had to make a choice between programs. I am considering applying to UCONN's Part time MBA program or Babson's Fast Track this fall. I have three main interests for General Management, Finance, or Entrepreneur. Hard to choose at this point. Company reimbursement will pay all of UCONN and half of Babson's MBA program. Graduated undergrad ten years ago. Also I plan to stay in New England. Is the extra cost worth the investment at Babson?

Thank you!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCONN vs Babson PT MBA Decision Assistance [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2012, 20:26
Go with what's best for your goals. If you have a lot of entrepreneurial ambitions, go w/ Babson. UConn has a bigger name throughout New England however and your tuition is covered.

I don't have that luxury of deciding how much money my employer will pay me to go to school, because they won't, but at least I can leave them whenever I want. Make sure that you are aware about how long you may have to stay with your employer if they pay your bill.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: UCONN vs Babson PT MBA Decision Assistance [#permalink] New post 22 Jan 2012, 19:44
Thank you for your response, I appreciate it - curious do you feel Babson's MBA program would be considered a significant step up over UCONN for general management? Really struggling with the ROI - Also, Thanks for the note about the company commitment
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status: schools I listed were for the evening programs, not FT
GMAT 1: 640 Q47 V32
GMAT 2: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 3: 660 Q43 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE: Research (Other)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 50

GMAT Tests User
Re: UCONN vs Babson PT MBA Decision Assistance [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2012, 20:47
I'm not particularly familiar with UConn and Babson, and I'm not even from New England. But my gut is telling me that Babson is better than UConn overall, but UConn has a larger alumni base, and a much more active one too, at least in large part due to the fact that the women's basketball and men's basketball teams are elite powers, esp. the women's team. however, the UConn PT program according to their website is in Hartford, Stamford, and Waterbury, which aren't closer to Boston, which is where I assume you are closer to. So if you are a great networker, etc., UConn looks like a good choice.

If you live closer to Boston than Hartford, I would strongly consider Boston College (I even got solicitations from them a month ago but I'm in DC so no point applying there). It also has a large and active network like UConn does, and is an overall better program than UConn and Babson, minus entrepeneurship. If your employer is willing to pay for your MBA, then I would think that they would be willing to pay for Boston College as well, unless the CEO at your company is from UConn and is bitter about BC's departure to the ACC perhaps. but that is a very petty reason for not footing some of the bill at one of the best regional programs in New England (I know HBS and MIT are there, but they are more national).
Re: UCONN vs Babson PT MBA Decision Assistance   [#permalink] 23 Jan 2012, 20:47