Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 19:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2008, 19:58
One of my pals here just told me a story of major woe:

she accepted an internship with a pretty major CPG company, in a major city. This was back in January, I think. They called her this week and said that due to "cost issues" they are re-vamping her offer: her new role is doing some B2B stuff - not CPG - in a small city in the middle of nowhere. Oh, she is SO NOT HAPPY.

She's scrambling now to see if she can come up with a plan b. Geesh. No fun.

The moral: even when you think you're safe, sometimes you're not.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2008, 20:52
Wow, that is rough. What would plan b be? Can she decline their offer if she finds another? I mean is this regular conduct or pretty rare?

Good luck to her.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2008, 04:08
Seriously, I will go to talk with the career service in school. The company probably goes to black list.

aaudetat wrote:

she accepted an internship with a pretty major CPG company, in a major city. This was back in January, I think. They called her this week and said that due to "cost issues" they are re-vamping her offer: her new role is doing some B2B stuff - not CPG - in a small city in the middle of nowhere. Oh, she is SO NOT HAPPY.

SVP
SVP
Schools: The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2008, 06:04
career mgmt is in the know, and watching carefully to see what happens. I'm not at liberty to say much about the new project, but it's actually pretty cool. My friend realizes that, but is not thrilled about Tiny City and is also worried that she doesn't have the skills needed, and won't get the support. It's a pretty new idea for this company, so one of those high risk, high reward propositions where you get a lot of latitude, but not much help. And it's just not what she signed up for, so that's a major shock.

They're sending her a new offer letter, so she can choose to sign it or not. And in the meantime, she's getting in touch with companies she'd recruited with to see if there might still be any room for her. I'm not sure when the new offer will expire, but it seems only appropriate to give her some time to mull it over.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2008, 18:21
I hope things turn out well. I've found that the unexpected twists and turns often lead to the most surprising success stories. Maybe this will turn out to be a very positive twist.

How to Get Into a Top MBA Program
http://www.squidoo.com/topmbaprograms
How to Ace the GMAT - 3 Proven Tips
http://EzineArticles.com/?id=1247291

Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2008, 09:38
aaudetat wrote:

I haven't heard of anything similar yet, but it is definitely in the back of everyone's mind. It's just awkward accepting an offer and then speaking with the company once a month, maximum. Sometimes you think they might have forgotten about you! :roll:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 37 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell [#permalink] New post 25 Mar 2008, 14:05
When I graduated in 2001 Spring, for my Masters, it wasn't just internships, but full time jobs that were rescinded because of the economy, this was even before 9-11. So this is not shocking to me. I was lucky to have one company that did not rescind their offer.

That's good that your friend is getting a choice to rethink, but yeah, it's not a good position to be in.
Re: ugh - a stoThe ry from internship hell   [#permalink] 25 Mar 2008, 14:05