Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: Cranfield SOM
 Q46  V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: UK Student Visa [#permalink]
scorpioguy wrote:
Airicka

From your post it sounds like you might have mailed the visa application. Why don't yuo try for a walkin at the NYC consulate.

I did not face this issue as my qualification and university name was exactly like on my degree certificate.

Hey Scorpio Guy:

When I submitted my first application to the New York British Consulate, I did not have an option to do a walk in. I see that is available now and I strongly encourage everyone to do the walk-in if they can. I will most definitely be doing a walk in on my second application.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
For those of you who have gone to the walk-in hours (specifically in Chicago):

What, pray tell, is meant by a "walk-in by appointment only"?!?! To me the two seem contradictory. On the Consulate's page it states that an appointment is mandatory and gives a link for information on how to make an appointment. Upon clicking, one arrives at a page where the word appointment does not even appear.

So, my questions are two: first, those of you who have done this, did you make an appointment? Second, HOW did you make the appointment? I can't find an applicable number on the website.

Thanks for any info, and good luck to everyone in this seemingly over-complicated and under-informed process!
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
I got my visa from Chicago. A walk-in is just that. You can go to the security at the UK Embassy and let them know that you are a student applying for a visa. They will let you in.

The walk-in hours are Monday - Thursday between 10 and 11. FYI - if you arrive early they will ask you to come back at 10:00 AM.

The excerpt from the Worldbridge website is given below:

The UK Border Agency at the British Consulate-General in Chicago is offering a walk-in service for points-based system Tier 4 students only at the following times:

1 June 2009 - 30 September 2009 (excluding Memorial Day, 23 June, Independence Day and Labour Day)
Monday - Thurs
10:00 – 11:00 only (no late arrivals will be admitted)

In order to be admitted to the UK Border Agency you will need to demonstrate that:

1) you have completed an online application for points-based system Tier 4
2) you have paid the fee online
3) you have had your biometrics taken
4) you have brought your passport and supporting documents (a list of which will be emailed to you on completion of your online application).

Where possible, we will complete the application the same day, with a pick-up time of 15:00 – 16:00 Monday-Friday.

Please note: we cannot guarantee that you will be able to obtain a same day result until we see your application - you will be informed, on presentation of your documents, when your application is likely to be completed.

acrich wrote:
For those of you who have gone to the walk-in hours (specifically in Chicago):

What, pray tell, is meant by a "walk-in by appointment only"?!?! To me the two seem contradictory. On the Consulate's page it states that an appointment is mandatory and gives a link for information on how to make an appointment. Upon clicking, one arrives at a page where the word appointment does not even appear.

So, my questions are two: first, those of you who have done this, did you make an appointment? Second, HOW did you make the appointment? I can't find an applicable number on the website.

Thanks for any info, and good luck to everyone in this seemingly over-complicated and under-informed process!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A walk-in is just that, but "by appointment only" sounds like just that as well. I didn't know which to believe, but if you're telling me you've done this and they let you in without an appointment, I'll default for walk-in. Thanks for your help!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
I think NYC is the only consulate that actually requires an appointment (which you obtain via email). For Los Angeles and Chicago, you just show up anytime during the scheduled sessions.
Current Student
Send PM
MJ2009 wrote:
greenoak, this sounds worrying... On the visa letter I have my undergraduate qualification listed as

Qualification level: Bachelors
Course Title: Economics

and the evidence is my transcript of which I submitted an original copy. The transcript states:

Programme: BSc
Major: Economics

Now in every sense of the world BSc = Bachelors, but since Airicka you have mentioned your case and I haven't got my visa, does either of you have any thoughts on this?

Had the opposite variation on mine (BSc on visa letter and Bachelors on transcript) and the consulate didn't even notice. That said, it seems every consulate (and even individual officers) varies on how strict they are -- so it may just come down to luck. :?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
prashok wrote:
Had the opposite variation on mine (BSc on visa letter and Bachelors on transcript) and the consulate didn't even notice. That said, it seems every consulate (and even individual officers) varies on how strict they are -- so it may just come down to luck. :?

Well.. I applied on 5th july and got the passport today. Over here in Riyadh (KSA) UK embassy has outsourced the visa application collection to an agency named VFS Global. Everything is basically walk-in (incld the Biometrics). Most importantly the slight variation of the degree title BSc to Bachelors was not of any concern.

Thanks for the input everyone and good luck with your respective visa applications. See you in London!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Does anyone know how long it takes the NYC UK Consulate to get back to you about a walk in appointment? I e-mailed them yesterday morning after I finished my biometrics but haven't heard anything back from them yet.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey all,

I'm going to the Chicago consulate on Monday and I've got one more question for all of you who have already completed this process. I had, of course, looked over the list of required documents and ensured that I had everything I needed. Now, however, reading Appendix 8, I've run across item 5.4:

"Have you been assessed by the sponsor by other means, for example references or a portfolio of artwork?"

If yes, item 5.6 requires that you provide either the original reference or a copy of the reference together with an original letter from your sponsor confirming it's a true copy. My university has not provided me with either, and they did not include it in the "Documents used to make the offer" section of my visa letter.

So my question is, how important is this, and how have you all dealt with this item? It seems like a pretty superfluous document to me, but having done 3 visa applications in the past, I know how visa officers can be uber-picky. Thanks for any thoughts!
Current Student
 Q46  V40
Send PM
acrich wrote:
My university has not provided me with either, and they did not include it in the "Documents used to make the offer" section of my visa letter.

Based on the above I would answer NO the question in the appendix and just show the documents that the University listed in your visa letter.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi guys,

I am applying for my visa and have my appointment at the Los Angeles office next week.

I think I have all the documents I need. Although my school in the UK (is this my sponsor?) has given me some money as a scholarship, do you know how I note this in Appendix 8? On page 5 it says that it should be included in my visa letter, but if a letter from my school OK?

Also how did you guys go with bank statements? I have print outs and a notary stamped and signed the first page (there are two) is this OK? Does it need to be on letterhead paper? Or is a notary signing it OK?

Also what date do you use the exchange rate for from the Oanda website?

Lots of questions, hope someone can help!! Thanks :)
Current Student
Send PM
Cassandra wrote:
Hi guys,

I am applying for my visa and have my appointment at the Los Angeles office next week.

I think I have all the documents I need. Although my school in the UK (is this my sponsor?) has given me some money as a scholarship, do you know how I note this in Appendix 8? On page 5 it says that it should be included in my visa letter, but if a letter from my school OK?

Also how did you guys go with bank statements? I have print outs and a notary stamped and signed the first page (there are two) is this OK? Does it need to be on letterhead paper? Or is a notary signing it OK?

Also what date do you use the exchange rate for from the Oanda website?

Lots of questions, hope someone can help!! Thanks :)

For scholarships, it will probably depend on what your school says, as to whether you need to fill that out. LBS did not really give any specific instructions for this (and did not mention it on the visa letter either).

Bank statements should generally be paper originals, or be stamped by the bank. Not sure if notary would count as the same, but see if your local branch can add their location's stamp (and maybe attach a business card of the banker) -- that's what I did for Bank of America.

I used the exchange rate from the date of my application submission (filled it out just before I submitted), but it probably doesn't matter that much since the consulate will use the rate from their processing date if they need to.
Current Student
Send PM
scorpioguy wrote:
Based on the above I would answer NO the question in the appendix and just show the documents that the University listed in your visa letter.

Agreed with this -- the UK MBA programs in general make the references confidential to begin with, so there probably isn't an easy way to attach it anyway. I did not attach my LBS references and had no problems with the visa.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks prashok.

Yeah the notary attached her business card to the print-out, stamped it and signed it, it has the address of the bank at the top, but its more of a print-out rather than the standard Bank of America statements, think that's OK?

It's so hard to find out information as tried to call and e-mail Worldbridge, but they are no help!

What's LBS?

Oh also, do you think it will matter if I get a statement now after I applied online? Not sure whether when I go for my appointment they will want the statements to be from before my biometrics, seem silly that they wouldn't allow more recent ones though.

Thanks for your help! Getting nervous about making sure I have all the right info!
Current Student
Send PM
No problem! LBS is my school/sponsor... :)

It would be better to have the bank branch's stamp on it rather than a notary public, since that's what the embassy/consulate prefers. The most recent statements should be fine as the latest has to be newer than 28 days, I think. And remember, you should submit everything within 14 days of finishing your biometrics.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
prashok wrote:
No problem! LBS is my school/sponsor... :)

It would be better to have the bank branch's stamp on it rather than a notary public, since that's what the embassy/consulate prefers. The most recent statements should be fine as the latest has to be newer than 28 days, I think. And remember, you should submit everything within 14 days of finishing your biometrics.

Thank you!! Ah I see. Maybe you can help me with one more thing!... On the Appendix 8 on page 5 it says:

6.18 Put a cross (X) in the relevant box to confirm what evidence of financial sponsorship you have provided.

An original letter to confirm the financial sponsorship from an official financial sponsor or Government sponsor.
OR
You are receiving official financial sponsorship from your Tier 4 licensed sponsor (e.g. a scholarship), and details of the financial sponsorship are included in the Visa Letter.

I have a letter from my school stating I have part of my tuition paid through a scholarship so does that mean I mark the first one or does it need to be included in the visa letter?

Have you already got your visa? I can let you know how my appointment goes if you have not. :) My biometrics was on the 16th and my appointment is on the 29th so I can cutting it close on the 14 days! But maybe that doesn't matter if you have an appointment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
GMAT 1: 620 Q46 V47
GRE 1: Q155 V155
Send PM
To secure a UK student visa, it's crucial to demonstrate the required amount for fees and maintenance. Showing a surplus of around £5,000 beyond these costs can enhance your application's chances of approval. Ensure you meet MIT Institute specific financial requirements as well.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2