Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 19:52

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UK work visa abolished for internationals

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 10:28
The Tier 1/2 changes will affect MBAs and after the introduction of the last Labour administration, the current Tory/LD administration would like to scale back the level of immigration, particularly on low skilled level. MBAs who invested $50,000 in tuition fee alone are unlikely to end up being unemployed. To my knowledge, the current quota for Tier 1 is 38,000. Deans advocate that applicants with jobs of 30,000 plus p.a. should be eligible for visas. Does the Home Office agree?

The Immigration Minister D. Green took a tougher public stance in recent interviews and argued that local jobs should be filled with British and EU graduates first. There will be some changes in the UK Border Agency's rules given the current political climate and pre election manifesto.

I would add that the consultation is in full swing with some serious lobbying. Bschools argue that foreign students bring income to the economy and create jobs in higher education. Point out that other countries (France, Canada) may hoover up foreign students. Benefits of good will in growing economies in EE and Asia.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2011, 11:32
Tories have cut benefits, increased taxes and generally made the masses worse off, something that people weren't unaware of before they voted. Memories of last years of Thatcher and Major are still alive. Even then they voted Tories in. Primarily for one reason: the Tory immigration policy.

Failing to show progress on that front means another long winter of opposition in Parliament for the Tories. Unfortunately, stopping immigration is something they cannot do one year before elections. Outsiders have to be denied entry now for there to be a visible change in 2015. All it means a very tough time for outsiders in UK.
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS (R2), LBS (R2), Wharton (R2), GSB (R2), Sloan (R2)
WE 1: 3 yrs - MNC Bank
WE 2: 3.5 yrs - MNC Bank

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 12:33
I think the new visa proposals may impact chances of non-EU students getting into LBS and the % intake may fall. I guess LBS may do this because if the proposals come into effect, it may be left with a big bunch of unemployed students in 2013 thus impacting its ratings.
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2011, 21:37
Ankeet wrote:
I think the new visa proposals may impact chances of non-EU students getting into LBS and the % intake may fall. I guess LBS may do this because if the proposals come into effect, it may be left with a big bunch of unemployed students in 2013 thus impacting its ratings.

Ankeet, that's a brilliant thought! It does make sense for the UK programs to either cut the number of intake places (less likely i guess) or to simply balance the intake towards EU nationals.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD Class of J'12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 13:46
I don't think so LBS or any other "good" UK schools will have the problem.

As the limit of work permits are proposed to apply for people earning less than £40,000. And come on, if you come out of LBS/Oxford/Cambrdige and earn less than £40k than there is something wrong.

OR good UK schools start marketing their students to alumni outside the EU more, LBS has good international pool.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 3

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 06 Feb 2011, 15:56
cpandya14 wrote:
I don't think so LBS or any other "good" UK schools will have the problem.

As the limit of work permits are proposed to apply for people earning less than £40,000. And come on, if you come out of LBS/Oxford/Cambrdige and earn less than £40k than there is something wrong.

OR good UK schools start marketing their students to alumni outside the EU more, LBS has good international pool.

If the 40K requirement is a replacement for Tier 1 then let's make this clear. They ask you to show earnings of 40K for last 12 months. Coming out of uni, there ain't no way you could show that earning.

To restate the blooming obvious: No place for non-EU in UK.
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 9

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 09:49
This isn't 100% related, but does anybody have any insight/info on permission to work rights for dependents on Tier 4 student visas? As it stands right now, dependents are granted permission to work if the sponsor's program is more than 12 months. This clause in the Tier 4 visa program is potentially on the chopping block. I ask because I'm planning on attending LBS this fall, and without automatic permission to work for my wife, her career could be seriously disrupted and financing would be much more difficult.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 07 Feb 2011, 13:17
Those thinking that the Home Office will exempt MBAs with 40,000 GBP income p.a. from the cull. The latest statement still insists a cull in student visas, particularly pre degree courses are affected. But the figure of graduate student visa cull still stands with a cut of 20% for non EU students.

Primary targets of fast track visas are high end net worth investors with 5-10m GBP UK investment.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 05:54
mbaaspirant11 wrote:
I guess a lot of questions that people have will be answered on reading this speech by damian green

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ion-reform

I feel LBS should not be impacted too much as I am assuming it would be a part of the "highly trusted sponsors" group mentioned in the speech. The aim of these reforms is mainly to curb abuse of the current visa policies and not to ban non EUs to work in UK. If they do that it will have an impact on their school's ranking as well as on the revenue they generate. Having said that, you really never know what they may decide so fingers crossed and hoping that the final policy is in our favour.

Positive speech for LBS!
indeed, fingers crossed
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 06:41
mbaaspirant11 wrote:
I guess a lot of questions that people have will be answered on reading this speech by damian green

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ion-reform

I feel LBS should not be impacted too much as I am assuming it would be a part of the "highly trusted sponsors" group mentioned in the speech. The aim of these reforms is mainly to curb abuse of the current visa policies and not to ban non EUs to work in UK. If they do that it will have an impact on their school's ranking as well as on the revenue they generate. Having said that, you really never know what they may decide so fingers crossed and hoping that the final policy is in our favour.

Certainly cause for some optimism. My main hope is that, should they remove dependent's right to work, they'll still allow for dependents on Highly Trusted Sponsor visas to work. I don't know if that's wishful thinking at present.

Based on my own feelings, hindering partners' ability to work and continue their own careers, not to mention significantly increasing the financial burden, is a significant disincentive to attend LBS or any other UK program over 12 months. Forcing dependents to acquire their own Tier 2 visa is hardly a consolation given how difficult and limited they are to obtain.
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 2

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 08:21
People

I read tons of material from the UK homeoffice and other public sources. One thing is unclear though: Did the government commit to any certain date when they would know what exact changes they are bringing in?

I would want to know for sure before I pay my deposit.
Intern
Intern

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2011, 15:27
The UK Council for International Student Affairs website has some good info about their stance on these issues. The link below is specifically to their lobbying efforts.

http://www.ukcisa.org.uk/about/lobbying.php
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 2

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2011, 21:44
ligett wrote:
People

I read tons of material from the UK homeoffice and other public sources. One thing is unclear though: Did the government commit to any certain date when they would know what exact changes they are bringing in?

I would want to know for sure before I pay my deposit.

i read somewhere that the final decision will come in April...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 9

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2011, 22:37
This very interesting. I hope I get an admission and they have favorable policy for top tier schools.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 20:26
Very interesting stuff, however, it doesn't clarify the post-study route yet, which is the main concern for folks here.

mbaaspirant11 wrote:
http://www.workpermit.com/news/2011-02-22/uk/uk-government-clarifies-upcoming-immigration-changes.htm

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2011, 05:52
I don't understand why LBS is not updating us on this topic!!
Intern
Intern

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 02 Mar 2011, 10:11
mbaaspirant11 wrote:
I don't understand why LBS is not updating us on this topic!!

I'll admit that I'm speculating a bit on this, but I suspect that at present, there is not much for LBS (or any other UK schools) to tell us. I emailed my point person at the school several weeks ago when I first caught word of the proposed changes, and I was informed at the time that, while no new information was available, LBS was in talks with the UK Gov't about this. I think it's safe to say that, while the school may be talking and lobbying behind closed doors, they can't really give us a play-by-play account of what is being discussed.

With that in mind, I'm personally left doing my best to gauge the situation based on what I read in the news and from the public figures involved. This is inherently a speculative endeavor. The link to Damian Green's speech gives me some cause for hope, as he does touch on the distinction between "highly trusted sponsors" and other sponsor categories, stating that the government's goal is not to damage the reputation of the UK's best institutions. It seems to me that this "highly trusted sponsor" category would provide a means to curb the types of abuse alleged by the UK Gov't while not affecting the country's best-known schools. The extent that the UK Gov't is able and willing to craft good public policy may determine whether they're able to achieve the changes they want without decreasing opportunities for UK MBA graduates (or spouse's right to work, which is my main concern right now).

Obviously, if anybody out there has any concrete information, I'd love to hear it. Until then, let the waiting continue. We'll hopefully be hearing soon.
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 3

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2011, 07:25
ya I also wrote to my point person recently and received a similar response of no comments.......I also quoted a article I had read recently (see link below) which was about India's take on this.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/India-ups ... 6013.aspx#

I was told they haven't heard of this before :)......and that I should follow the official ukba site.
Anyways, fingers crossed and hopefully as you mentioned already, they would just make a highly trusted category
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 12 Mar 2011, 07:04
Hi guys,

Does anybody have any news on the visa issue in the UK? The new tier 2 quota of 20700 is down from how much?

And if that is the case, will be impact be big in London based MBAs?

Thanks,

Mark
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: UCLA (R1 interview-WL), UNC(R2--interview-ding) Oxford(R2-Admit), Kelley (R2- Admit $$), McCombs(R2)
WE 1: SE - 1
WE 2: Engineer - 3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 3

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 14:51
When will the new rules be finalized?
Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals   [#permalink] 16 Mar 2011, 14:51