Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Apr 2014, 19:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UK work visa abolished for internationals

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Status: Taking heavily leveraged but calculated risks at all times
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools: HBS '15, Stanford '15
GMAT Date: 01-31-2012
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 27 [1] , given: 12

UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 11:22
This post received
KUDOS
Hope you guys have read the latest international student work visa regualtions in UK, according to which post MBA job seeking window is completely removed.

What this means is, if you get a job offer before graduation, you will be one of the chosen 20,000 (the limit of internationals is capped at around 20,000 annually now). If not, you have to pack your bags and head home.

Whereas in the US, you have an OPT of a year for the MBA students and in Canada, you get a working visa for 2 years post graduation.

In the light of these new regulations, how many of you would rather not study in UK??
3 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 14 [3] , given: 2

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 17 Mar 2011, 00:49
This post received
KUDOS
Hey folks

I found a good article over here, which to me sounded clearer than all others. I decided to put it in the drawings so we could discuss it.
Is there a knowledgeable person who could confirm my understanding of the visa changes?

uk-visa-changes

The article is here:
http://www.globalvisas.com/blog/uk-immigration-cap-a-comprehensive-breakdown.html
3 KUDOS received
Official Business School Representative
Followers: 17

Kudos [?]: 32 [3] , given: 0

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 11:54
This post received
KUDOS
More details of the student visa changes have emerged.

http://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.co ... ent-visas/

The details are actually very promising. They mean that the best way to work in the UK for a non-EU citizen will be to do an MBA in the UK because you can switch to Tier 2 without counting towards the annual quota, and your employer does not have to use the resident labour market test. If you are not studying for an MBA, the only possibility for you to work in the UK, if you are applying from outside the country, will be to find an employer who will sponsor you and count you against the Tier 2 annual quota of 20,700.

As always, I have to make the caveat that I am not an immigration lawyer and these are my quick thoughts from reading the documents.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge University.
2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)

Kudos [?]: 21 [2] , given: 3

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2011, 05:28
This post received
KUDOS
I guess a lot of questions that people have will be answered on reading this speech by damian green

http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/media-cent ... ion-reform

I feel LBS should not be impacted too much as I am assuming it would be a part of the "highly trusted sponsors" group mentioned in the speech. The aim of these reforms is mainly to curb abuse of the current visa policies and not to ban non EUs to work in UK. If they do that it will have an impact on their school's ranking as well as on the revenue they generate. Having said that, you really never know what they may decide so fingers crossed and hoping that the final policy is in our favour.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 2

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2011, 23:51
This post received
KUDOS
As i posted on the London Business School 2011 Thread,

Guys, no need to worry... check what LBS sent to its current students:

As non-EU students will be well aware, the Home Office is currently drafting reforms to Tier 1 General and Tier 2 visas. It is also in the consultation stage on reforms to Tier 4 and Tier 1 Post Study Work visas. The consultation is still underway, and there are still many unanswered questions, but we wanted to update you on what we know at this stage and what the School is doing to try and influence the situation.

Along with the Dean, we have met with the UK Border Agency and immigration lawyers to discuss the Home Office's consultation. We continue to work closely with recruiters to help them understand the potential consequences of the changes.

Although it is not definite at this stage, it looks likely that there will be a phased introduction of the new arrangements. If the Tier 1 Post Study Work visa is discontinued, it seems probable that those graduating in 2011 will not be affected. The School will lobby for this change to be phased in over a longer period to try and ensure that those graduating in subsequent years will not be impacted, but there is no certainty at this stage. Another major focus for the School is lobbying for students who are already on a Tier 4 visa to be able to transfer to a sponsored Tier 2 visa without counting towards the employer's cap.

The School and the Student Association have each prepared a response to the Home Office's consultation document, detailing our arguments against the proposed reforms. The consultation period closes on Monday 31 January.

Immigration lawyer briefing session

Fragomen, a leading immigration law firm, will be holding a further briefing session for students to update you on the latest developments. This session has been provisionally booked for Friday 18 February - please look out for more details and reserve your place on Career Central.

To see copies of past communications about the immigration reforms, please visit Portal > Career Services home page > Visa/immigration.

Please rest assured that the School is taking this issue extremely seriously and working hard to ensure the Home Office really understands our concerns. We will continue to update you as soon as more information becomes available.

Best wishes,
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: LBS (Admit), Insead (Admit), Wharton (Admit+$), Kellogg (Waitlist), HBS (Ding)

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2011, 06:03
This post received
KUDOS
1 KUDOS received

Kudos [?]: 32 [1] , given: 0

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2011, 14:08
This post received
KUDOS
I have posted an update on the Tier 1 Post Study Work Visa consultations on my blog at

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [1] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 09:02
This post received
KUDOS
Further analysis relevant for current students :

Switching provisions :
http://www.rec.uk.com/press/news/1492

"
While the general post-study visa route will end in April 2012, non-EU students graduating with a recognised degree and who have been offered a job paying at least £20k will be able to switch into Tier 2, the work permit route. Employers taking on graduates under these conditions will not be burdened with the time-consuming 'resident labour market test' that has caused delays in the pas
t."
1 KUDOS received

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 09:21
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks for posting that article about switching to Tier 2 without going through the labour market test. What I am trying to find out is whether someone could switch to Tier 2 without being counted against the annual cap of 20,700. The people who are currently on PSWs are allowed to do so as long as they are in a job for six months.

I have blogged some quick thoughts on this.
http://www.thecambridgembaadmissions.co ... udy-visas/
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS 2013, Foster, McCombs, Stanford, Kellogg, Haas (Interview, w/d), Fuqua (Interview, w/d)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [1] , given: 9

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 12:54
This post received
KUDOS
CambridgeMBA wrote:
More details of the student visa changes have emerged.

Thanks again, Conrad! That does appear very promising. While the PSW visa is an excellent incentive to obtain an MBA in the UK, they do seem to have built in a backdoor method of achieving a similar pathway to work. Although, I may be taking a somewhat narrow focus based on how most MBA grads are recruited. I would assume that any job offers still have to come from companies approved to sponsor Tier 2 visas, and while that list does include a good majority of companies that normally recruit MBA grads, some previous job opportunities (not to mention new, innovative ones) may be left out.

I'm certainly curious to learn more about the student entrepreneur idea in the last bullet point. I wonder if it's related at all to the recent start-up visa rules.

I'm obviously also very pleased that my wife won't have to compromise her career for me to attend LBS.
1 KUDOS received

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 23:00
This post received
KUDOS
You will have to find a job while you are in the UK and during the duration of your student visa. At the moment, the UKBA usually gives 4 extra months for students on 12 month programs.

Conrad Chua
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge.

Posted from my mobile device Image
1 KUDOS received
International BSchool Forum Moderator
International BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
WE: Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 34 [1] , given: 25

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 23 Feb 2012, 22:37
This post received
KUDOS
Yesterday I received an official LBS update on the UK visa, below is the data:Immigration reforms relating to non European Economic Area (EEA)/Swiss students

While the government is aiming to reduce overall numbers settling in the UK from outside the EEA/Switzerland, its reforms are supportive of graduates of UK business schools and universities. It is committed to helping the 'brightest and the best'. London Business School has been working with the government to help them understand the value of our students and we feel the immigration reforms are positive.

People coming to study in the UK can apply for a tier 4 visa: http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas ... /studying/

From April 2012, the government will remove unrestricted access to the labour market for those studying in the UK. However, they have made it easier for UK employers to sponsor international students they want to hire – employers just need to have a Tier 2 licence.
Almost 25,000 employers in the UK are Tier 2 sponsors - the full list is available on the UK Border Agency (UKBA) website and updated regularly. For those employers who do not yet have a Tier 2 visa, this is relatively easy and cheap to obtain and London Business School is proactively providing guidance to recruiters on how to do this.
Previously, an employer had to advertise the role even when they had a preferred candidate. Under Tier 2 legislation, if an employer has a preferred candidate in mind, for example a London Business School graduate, they will no longer have to advertise the role more widely (previously known as the Resident Labour Market Test). This makes the process more straightforward and cheaper for recruiters.
This more streamlined process is only applicable to graduates of UK universities and business schools. When recruiting from inside the UK, there is no cap on the number of UK-based graduates a company can hire. This includes graduates of London Business School. By contrast, recruiters will have restrictions on the number of graduates they can hire from outside the UK, including other European business schools.
The London Business School Career Services team is working closely with employers to help them understand the legislation and how straightforward it is to recruit from London Business School.

Useful sources of information include the UK Council for International Student Affairs website and the UK Border Agency website.

Students with passports from the European Union (EU), European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland have the same basic rights to work in the UK as UK nationals.
1 KUDOS received

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2012, 00:51
This post received
KUDOS
Re: the comment from Anaesthesum that post-MBA employment window is closed, and that even if you accept an offer, you will count against the 20,000 quota.

That isn't the case and has not been the case even when the visa regulations were tightened. The latest policy guidance note (wef June 2012) states

"56. Those seeking admission to fill a vacancy with a salary of £150,000 or above and all other
in-country applications (other than Tier 4 dependant switchers) are not affected by the
limit. Certificates of Sponsorship for these applications are known as “unrestricted” and
sponsors can assign these without first applying for permission."

So, if you are studying in the UK for an MBA and accept a job offer, then you are not counted against the cap. This comes back to the point that the only realistic route for a non-EU MBA student to work in the UK is by studying in the UK.

As always, my opinions are not legal opinions so read the latest policy guidance and make your own decision.

Conrad
Head MBA Admissions
Cambridge Judge Business School
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 109 [1] , given: 215

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 13 Nov 2012, 12:00
This post received
KUDOS
greatps24 wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:
Jock4MBA wrote:
There is an article in the recent The Economist issue, the author takes a critical view on the current UK immigration policy for students.

Do you have a link?

FYI:

economist-s-show-europe-s-including-uk-mba-charms-waning-142132.html

Cheers!
CEO
CEO
Followers: 52

Kudos [?]: 408 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 13:08
This has not been fully passed yet and is a hot political debate at the moment. There will be more clarity on this around March / April.

Anasthaesium wrote:
Hope you guys have read the latest international student work visa regualtions in UK, according to which post MBA job seeking window is completely removed.

What this means is, if you get a job offer before graduation, you will be one of the chosen 20,000 (the limit of internationals is capped at around 20,000 annually now). If not, you have to pack your bags and head home.

Whereas in the US, you have an OPT of a year for the MBA students and in Canada, you get a working visa for 2 years post graduation.

In the light of these new regulations, how many of you would rather not study in UK??
Manager
Manager
Schools: INSEAD Class of J'12
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 5

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 13:16
Anasthaesium wrote:

This reads too pessimistic and does not paint the correct picture as it lacks key factual information.
Firstly, there is a consultation going on about abolishing visa rules in favour of revised rules.

Secondly, a consultation does not mean law and debate will take place in parliament in May-June (Consultation ends sometimes in April 2011)

People who earn more than £40k will be exempt from the quota of work permits (should that go through the parliament).

So I would recommend people to do thorough research by visiting UK Home Office web site about consultation and make informed decision based on factual data than scaremongering.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 14:18
There was a good article in the FT (24 Jan, Business Education) about the Border Agency's new Tier 1 and Tier 2 visas for internationals outside the EU post graduation. Obviously Bschool deans are unhappy and up in arms, some lobbying under way. But a turnaround is unlikely in the current political climate.
Current Student
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE: Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 246 [0], given: 151

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2011, 17:56
btw, "international people" in the UK does not include European people, thus they don't compete for the visas

Club-MBA - Comunidad MBA en español | Mi Blog "Mi MBA en Chicago Booth"

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 37

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 27 Jan 2011, 14:47
yeah, if one is a citizen of the European union, he/she doesnt need a VISA>
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2011, 21:28
Guys, while all of you are thinking about the future of international student work visa regulations, its worthwhile to go on the UK Home Office web site and take part in their survey, they posted to get public opinion on current regulations and propositions on changes. This survey will let you learn more about current regulations and will give you all an opportunity to vote against proposed changes.
Re: UK work visa abolished for internationals   [#permalink] 30 Jan 2011, 21:28