Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ultimate GMAT Grammar - Using the Past Tense Forms of Verbs

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
GMAT 1: 600 Q44 V29
WE: Information Technology (Consulting)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 48

Ultimate GMAT Grammar - Using the Past Tense Forms of Verbs [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 05:27
this is from the Exercise 7 in the Ultimate GMAT Grammar book by gmatclub

7. I ___________________ (read) that story last year in literature class.

OA given :

7. I read (read) that story last year in literature class.

please tell me what's wrong with -

7. I had read (read) that story last year in literature class.

Live Life the Way YOU Love It !! :)

GmatPrep1 [10/09/2012] : 650 (Q42;V38) - need to make lesser silly mistakes.
MGMAT 1 [11/09/2012] : 640 (Q44;V34) - need to improve quant pacing and overcome verbal fatigue.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1275

Kudos [?]: 3587 [1] , given: 185

Re: Ultimate GMAT Grammar - Using the Past Tense Forms of Verbs [#permalink] New post 01 Aug 2012, 05:41
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Hi there,

In GMAT, we use past perfect tense to establish sequence between two past events one of which took place earlier than the other. We use past perfect tense for the event that took place earlier and simple present tense for the event that took place later to show the sequence. For example:

I had finished his dinner when Joe arrived.

This sentence talks about two actions - one of finishing dinner and the other of Joe arriving. Both these actions have taken place in the past. Use of past perfect tense us that the action of finishing dinner took place first and then Joe arrived. So the prior event has been written in past perfect tense and the later event in simple past. The sequencing has been correctly established in this sentence by using past perfect tense.

7. I read (read) that story last year in literature class.
In thise sentence, there is only one action that took place in the past. Hence, use of past perfect tense is incorrect. Moreover, when we present general information, we must use simple present/past tense, depending upon the context of the sentence.

The above mentioned sentence is presenting general information about what I did last year in the literature class. Hence, use of simple past tense "read" is correct here.

Use of past perfect tense has been covered in details with quiz in the e-gmat course content namely "Verb - Past Perfect".

Hope this helps.
Thanks. Shraddha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 39

Re: Ultimate GMAT Grammar - Using the Past Tense Forms of Verbs [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2012, 07:48
there is only one case in which past perfect is used and which is said above.

past perfect is not used to show an action begining before and continuing into a latter past action. question number 3 in og 12 illustrate this my thinking.

Is my thinking correct?, pls, comment.
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 2

Re: Ultimate GMAT Grammar - Using the Past Tense Forms of Verbs [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2012, 19:48
Expert's post
thangvietnam wrote:
there is only one case in which past perfect is used and which is said above.

past perfect is not used to show an action begining before and continuing into a latter past action. question number 3 in og 12 illustrate this my thinking.

Is my thinking correct?, pls, comment.

To indicate an action beginning before another and continuing on to the time of the later event, you usually would use the past perfect progressive--"I had been eating for 20 minutes when the rest of my family finally arrived at the restaurant." Note that the "Had been -ing" tense appears in far more wrong answers than correct ones on the GMAT. However, it is a real grammatical tense, and can be used properly in the right situation.

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Kaplan Reviews

Re: Ultimate GMAT Grammar - Using the Past Tense Forms of Verbs   [#permalink] 11 Aug 2012, 19:48