Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 07:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Ultimate Study Guide?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Ultimate Study Guide? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 10:18
I just discovered GMAT club and though I am thrilled with all of the information, I am also a bit overwhelmed! I took the GMAT the day after Christmas (bad idea!) and ended up with a 550. Boo! It was not what I had expected, as I'd been scoring above 600 in practice and was consistently missing no more than two verbal questions.

Anyway, I still want to go to school in Fall '08, so I am taking the test again in early March and sending in applications in the last round. Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but I feel that I have to try.

Anyway, I opted not to take a classroom course to prepare, so I used Kaplan guides on my own, and did a bunch of online and paper practice tests. I guess I probably studied for about eight weeks leading up the exam. Now, I want to wipe the slate clean and start with new learning materials. I don't live in a place where I can attend a course, and I have doubts about the superiority of an online course vs. independent study.

So, my question is, who makes the best study guide? Right now I am leaning toward the OGs, but I've read lots of posts here in favor of MGMAT. I don't want to have to use eight different books or go to 10 websites to find what I need. That seems overwhelming and feels like it will do more harm than good (I sort of felt like I crammed and over-studied last time, and I think it hurt me).

Any thoughts on a straightforward, simple approach to my retake?

Thanks!
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Schools: Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Ultimate Study Guide? [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2008, 14:05
I don't mean to be harsh but its hard to tell from your post. Everybody's starting level is different. You have to tailor your preparation to address your weak areas. Take a diagnostic test or two and identify areas in which you are not good and then come up with a study plan. As for me my weak area was sentence correction, so I browsed and found that MGMAT SC book was the best available. It did help me. So in summary identify weak areas, search on the forum, read through experiences of other users (some of them are very inspiring), determine what resources will work for you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: Ultimate Study Guide? [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2008, 08:30
I agree with the previous comment. You need to address your weak areas and concentrate on them.
I think Official Guide to Gmat does a great job covering all areas of the exam, but if you want to go in-depth, I'd recommend Manhattan Gmat, especially Sentence Correction booklet. This book lists questions in its book, but in order to solve those questions you need to purchase OG & its supplements.
Re: Ultimate Study Guide?   [#permalink] 18 Jan 2008, 08:30