Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 22:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UMD Smith (with $60K) vs CMU Tepper

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

UMD Smith (with $60K) vs CMU Tepper [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 10:58
Hi guys,

I am debating between the two offers, UMD Smith vs Tepper. I guess it is a no brainer to most of the people, but what if we take the fellowship into consideration?

With the fellowship from Smith, the tuition difference is about $73,000. I will most likely get Graduate Assistantship in the second year at Smith, so the difference could be as much as $90,000 to $95,000. Also, i will need to get a loan for the tuition. by the time i pay off the loan, i bet the interest i paid is almost the same or even more than the amount i initially borrowed.

As you can tell, i am already lean towards Smith. and this is my reasoning (PLEASE, CORRECT ME IF I WAS WRONG):

1. I am NOT planning to get into the hottest field like finance or I-banks. I have some general management experience from running a start-up retail business. I want to get into a large retail or consumer product corporation such as Amazon, Walmart, or Target, focusing in Global sourcing / Supply Chain. It is not a extraordinary goal, so i think Smith is good enough to help me achieve it.

2. I have a BS degree in computer science. Even though my post-undergrad experience was not mush CS-related, I would use Information System Management as a backup post-MBA plan. Smith is pretty good at information system (i know tepper is better, but still, the $70K+ difference). Even though my sourcing/supply chain goal didn't go well, i still have more options.

3. It is true that Tepper has a higher average salary, and more % of people have job offers by graduation. But don't you think that is simply because it has a stronger student body to start with? For example, if all the Tepper students went to Smith instead, i guess they will achieve the same, or at least similar, high salary and employment rate, right?

4. I visited both schools. I can tell that Smith truly invested a lot of $ in its facility. They also talked about how they have been improving their career service since 2011. are those a good signs that they are truly catching up?

I know when it comes to MBA, most people say that go with the best one you can get in. If i had to pick between a free-ride with Smith and Cornell/Columbia, i will certainly go with Cornell/Columbia. But is there a big enough difference between Smith and Tepper to give up the fellowship i received from Smith?

Please give me some suggestions, thanks!!!
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2284

Kudos [?]: 8898 [0], given: 3671

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: UMD Smith (with $60K) vs CMU Tepper [#permalink] New post 17 Apr 2013, 11:14
Expert's post
The salary average differential is $15K and the rankings are 19 vs 37.

i think you will be fine at either school. Some suggest taking the money out of the equation since over a 40-year (or 20-year if you are lucky) career you are likely to reduce those savings to a negligible amount. However, going to Smith is definitely a SAFER option. Your earning potential may not be as high but your downside is pretty much nothing.

I would focus on:
1. Employability after graduation. Does Tepper have Amazon coming on campus? Does Smith have them?
2. Industries that Tepper and Smith Feed. Tepper is heavy in IT and Logistics/Operations which Amazon and Walmart would value
Tepper:

Smith:

Finally, Smith cast a poor impression on me when I met at one of the Career Fairs - their admissions team did not appear very knowledgeable about the space, other schools, and just left something to be desired of.

P.S. Faculty is important but so are your classmates - you will be learning A LOT together and having a higher caliber is very valuable as you will spend more time with them than with professors.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 1

Re: UMD Smith (with $60K) vs CMU Tepper [#permalink] New post 01 May 2013, 10:41
bb wrote:
The salary average differential is $15K and the rankings are 19 vs 37.

i think you will be fine at either school. Some suggest taking the money out of the equation since over a 40-year (or 20-year if you are lucky) career you are likely to reduce those savings to a negligible amount. However, going to Smith is definitely a SAFER option. Your earning potential may not be as high but your downside is pretty much nothing.

Hi, BB

i hope you still get a chance to see my response in this post.

i just find out that i am getting $30,000 from tepper, which shorten the "tuition gap" b/t the Tepper and Smith - to about $43,000.

in another word, paying $43,000 extra will get me a seat at Tepper. now does it becomes a [MUCH BETTER??] deal?

one other thing i kinda worry about is that everyone talks about Tepper's busy schedule and difficult curriculum. as a husband and a father of two young kids, i am wondering how much family quality time i need to sacrifice in order to do well at a school like tepper?

thanks in advance!
Re: UMD Smith (with $60K) vs CMU Tepper   [#permalink] 01 May 2013, 10:41