Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Sep 2014, 06:47

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

(Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 160 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 09:32
This post received
KUDOS
guys..my advice to you all is to take every question as if your life depends on it..get it correct..thats the winner's attitude..

everyone of should aim to get 51 on Q and 51 on V...

thats the winning attitude..

thats the key to success..each and everyone of us is capable of this feat..

just remember you have 2 mins/question..thats the discipline you need..
2 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 56

Kudos [?]: 435 [2] , given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2008, 14:39
This post received
KUDOS
To give you guys some more perspective - 4/11 RC questions were within 1st 7 and I got all those correct.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 30 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 09 Jun 2008, 07:19
I gave my GMATPREP exam and I was horribly timing myself....!!!!!!!!!!!! I had to guess the last 11 questions :roll: :roll: in quant of which I got 2 right and the remaining wrong... My strike rate in the first 12 questions was 9 (correct and 2 wrong).
I ended up with a score of 45 on Quant. Verbal is a whole different story!!!!!!!!!!!!! (let's not go there)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 06:20
Took the GPrep2 yesterday, I got 39 in verbal after 8 mistakes. I have seen much better scores after 8 wrong but I guess here I had 3 wrong in a row in the first 8.

My take, yes first 5-10 do have more weight!
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 13 Jun 2008, 07:59
mbawaters wrote:
Took the GPrep2 yesterday, I got 39 in verbal after 8 mistakes. I have seen much better scores after 8 wrong but I guess here I had 3 wrong in a row in the first 8.

My take, yes first 5-10 do have more weight!

I definitely agree. I took the GPrep1 a few nights ago and got a 44 in verbal after missing 7 questions. Only missed one out of the first 8. However, I did miss 3 out of the last 7, so that hurt some. But evidently not as much as missing them at the start hurt you.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 22 Jun 2008, 06:12
Wow, great analysis bsd!! +1

I guess it all makes sense. Now, I've been told that for RC, the questions are not adaptative. From what I understood, you are given a text with a set of questions based on the level of SC and CR questions you've answered before the RC (this would explain why you never start off with RC).

But then within the RC, the questions do not change. So whether or not you correctly answer your first RC question, the second question will be the same. This is what I've been told and having done PowerPrep 1 and 2 three times, I think it might be true :?
What do you all think?

If this is true, it would explain why in your experiment, when you answered only the RC questions correctly, you got a worse score than when answering SC or CR alone. :wink:

Keep posting your findings!!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 24 Aug 2008, 17:28
Awesome posts by bsd_lover and suyashjhawar.
kudos to both

But I think the algorithm in real test must be more complicated than what we see on GMATprep.

Nobody dies a virgin, life screws us all.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Instructor
Followers: 257

Kudos [?]: 683 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 25 Aug 2008, 11:26
This post received
KUDOS
There is a danger in drawing conclusions from a small sample size. I agree with Kevin that your Quant performance will have no effect at all on the questions you see in the Verbal section- the test would be unfairly biased if it did- and I expect what bsd noticed was just coincidence.

It is also untrue that SC questions are 'worth more' than CR questions, or vice versa, though I do agree that it's easier to improve on SC than on CR, so it is a good area to focus on during preparation for the test. I do suspect virflo is right in saying that RC questions come in batches- with one passage, some questions will be easier than others, though certainly some RC sets will be harder overall than other RC sets. As a consequence, it may be true that some RC questions are less important than others- those that are far from your ability level.

I do not agree at all with bsd's conclusion about the first ten questions, and take issue with the methodology. If you guess at the first 10 questions, and answer 2 correctly, that is an absolutely horrific performance. That's exactly how well you'd expect a ham sandwich to do on the first ten questions, by guessing. Since you're more than a quarter way through the test at that point, you don't have much time to recover. In addition, since only between 23 and 30 questions actually count (because of the presence of diagnostic questions), you may be more than one third into your test after ten questions. In any case, the conclusion is not relevant to any of us, since none of us will answer 8 of the first 10 questions incorrectly, unless we are genuinely sub-300 scorers on the GMAT. Yes, you can conclude from the result that it's a bad idea to guess at the first 10 questions, but I don't think that should come as any surprise. I agree entirely with terp, that the best strategy is to do as well as possible on every question, and it is certainly true that a series of bad answers at the end of a test can absolutely kill your score.

Nov 2011: After years of development, I am now making my advanced Quant books and high-level problem sets available for sale. Contact me at ianstewartgmat at gmail.com for details.

Private GMAT Tutor based in Toronto

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2283

Kudos [?]: 8879 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 01 Jul 2009, 20:58
Expert's post
Whoa - just stumbled unto this thread - fantastic job BSD_Lover!

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2009, 03:49
Kudos, bsd! Great, great, great analysis.

I'm not sure if it's out there - Is the GMATPrep scoring algorithm the same as the real GMAT? Does GMAC, ACT, Pearson VUE, state this explicitly?

Your performance on Quant has no correlation with your 1st Vebal question. I gauged this from GMATPrep - IMO
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 2

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 07:39
great job bsd

+2 for the hard work :-D

==============================================
Do not answer without sharing the reasoning behind ur choice
-----------------------------------------------------------
Working on my weakness : GMAT Verbal
------------------------------------------------------------
Ask:
Why, What, How, When, Where, Who
==============================================

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 3 [1] , given: 0

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 13:25
This post received
KUDOS
I have conducted similar experiments too.

My observations:
For Quants getting as many (~20-25) initial question correct helps boost the score. However this does not hold true in case of Verbal. If we were to believe that the GMAT is truly adaptive test, that questions get harder as you answer correctly and that the harder questions carry higher weight, then this whole scheme seems to fall apart for Verbal.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 2

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 21:45
I was wondering if the quickness of your answer affects your score. Does anybody know?

Say if I got lucky and guessed my last 5 questions right in whatever section in the span of 1 minute, would that score be higher if I had taken my time and answered them right in the span of 10 mins?

Thanks,
millhouse
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2283

Kudos [?]: 8879 [0], given: 3670

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2009, 21:55
Expert's post
I believe that timing in general does not matter with one exception several alluded to: it may ding you for answering too quickly (within a few seconds) since in that case you are just guessing.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2009, 01:22
Guys i don't think that the prep software and actual exam algorithms are exactly same..
i've heard, so many people saying that what they observed on the prep was not completely same or true in the actual test..
In actual test, they got very diff. results from the strategies they "assumed" or followed by experimenting with gmatprep..with same difficulty questions..

So, i would rather focus on the concepts..
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 7

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 19 Jul 2009, 02:08
bsd_lover wrote:
Yup, I was at it again today. Next set of experiments :
3. What is the importance of the last 17 questions?
Experiment : If I get the 1st 20 correct and mess up the last 17 what will happen ?
Methodology : Kick butt in the 1st 20 and guess the last 17
Results : Q49 with 12 wrong overall.
Analysis: Whoa !!! 49 ? with the same number wrong as the 1st experiment ... By Question 20 I had received all the tough quant concept questions that I could have ever hoped for. However, I wasn't expecting a score as high as 49. Although that might be because I got a few guesses on the last 17 right. Even so I'm sure I'd have received 46 or above here. Goes to underscore the importance of those first 10 questions compared to the last few.

4. What is the importance of CR in Verbal ?
Experiment : If I get all the CRs correct and mess up everything else what will happen ?
Methodology : Kick butt in all the CRs and guess everything else
Results : V13 with 29 wrong overall.
Analysis: I think I've busted my own myth that CR is more important than SC in some way. This doesn't seem to be the case. I got 11/11 CRs correct and still could not achieve more than 13. The CRs were different to the ones I usually get (at 40+ level). I encountered 4 of these CRs in the 1st 10 questions.

Superb analysis. It has broken one of my greatest myth. Thanks a lot bsd. :P

Work hardest to get what you like
Otherwise you will be forced to like what you get
I am out for killing again. Getting started again.
I give what you want, You give me what I want.

1 KUDOS received
GMAT Forum Moderator
Concentration: Healthcare, Economics
Schools: Ross '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: Q V
GPA: 3.54
WE: Accounting (Manufacturing)
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 400 [1] , given: 234

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2009, 06:17
This post received
KUDOS
The Manhattan GMAT people have done their own analysis on this concept as well:

http://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-prep- ... -annex.cfm

Strategy Discussion Thread | Strategy Master | GMAT Debrief| Please discuss strategies in discussion thread. Master thread will be updated accordingly. | GC Member Write Ups

2 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Schools: Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)

Kudos [?]: 27 [2] , given: 9

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 09:38
This post received
KUDOS
I thought I would add a unique expereince with GMAT Prep.

I took the GMATPrep2 yesterday and scored 3 wrong (all in a row) in the first 10. Questions 8, 9 and 10 to be specific. I then scored another 3 wrong on the next 10 questions and 1 wrong in the last 17.

Questions.............# Wrong
1-10.........................3
11-20.......................3
21-37.......................1

Overal Quant score: 50

I really do not think the first 10 or even 20 are as heavily weighted as most people think. MGMAT seems to follow this belief as well.
Director
Director
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 92

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 07 Aug 2009, 10:13
robertrdzak wrote:
I thought I would add a unique expereince with GMAT Prep.

I took the GMATPrep2 yesterday and scored 3 wrong (all in a row) in the first 10. Questions 8, 9 and 10 to be specific. I then scored another 3 wrong on the next 10 questions and 1 wrong in the last 17.

Questions.............# Wrong
1-10.........................3
11-20.......................3
21-37.......................1

Overal Quant score: 50

I really do not think the first 10 or even 20 are as heavily weighted as most people think. MGMAT seems to follow this belief as well.

The wrong answers could be experimental questions, so Q50 is possible.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 23 Sep 2009, 02:32
I missed 9 Quant on the GMATPrep Test. Got first 13 correct and then missed questions evenly for next 23. They were tough. First, time taking test. I got a 50Q. Just thought I would put up my 2 cents. I am a strong believer that first 10 matter most.

Also, missed 9 in V and got a 41. Then, (on different software) missed first 2 and only 4 total and got a 39V!
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep   [#permalink] 23 Sep 2009, 02:32