Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Aug 2014, 09:08

Flash Sale:

The Economist GMAT Tutor - 15% Off All Courses

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

(Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2219

Kudos [?]: 8169 [0], given: 3640

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 24 Sep 2009, 15:17
Expert's post
aj1545 wrote:
I missed 9 Quant on the GMATPrep Test. Got first 13 correct and then missed questions evenly for next 23. They were tough. First, time taking test. I got a 50Q. Just thought I would put up my 2 cents. I am a strong believer that first 10 matter most.

Also, missed 9 in V and got a 41. Then, (on different software) missed first 2 and only 4 total and got a 39V!

Fantastic GMAT Score - must be 750?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 5

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2009, 23:32
Nice experiment!!!!
Manager
Manager
Schools: HBS, Stanford, Haas, Booth, Columbia

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2009, 15:04
bb wrote:

I got a 730 actually on the GMATprep. I have yet to take the second one and I am saving it for the week before my test (Oct. 10).

I have taken Kaplan twice and got 710 & 760. Manhattan = 730. Princeton = 710. I have traditionally performed well on test day so I am hoping that I get 700+. I think that my app will speak for itself as long as I can get in the game.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 04 Oct 2009, 22:30
Great experiment... Keep going..

I got a 46 in quant with 16 mistakes and 44 in quant with just 11 mistakes.
when i got a 44 i got a series of 3 questions wrong and when i got 46, my mistakes were spread. My guess is that mistakes done continously cost more.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
WE: Consulting (Consulting)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 05:43
The test must be finished at all costs.
Don't ever get a "bad" streak of answering two or more wrong in a row.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 5

Repeating the GMAT Prep [#permalink] New post 04 Dec 2009, 08:37
Hi,

I was wondering what your thoughts were on repeats with the GMAT Prep. I did the test 3 times now and I did achieve my all time highest in both areas (Q 47, V 31 - 630). On one hand, I am happy for the score gain/increase. On the other, I feel its just because I have seen repeat questions, predominantly in RC CR and PS. I did get my first Permutation question right (first time in my test taking experiences). Also, managed my time more effectively and cut my losses - wasn't as stubborn (feel that I can still improve on this). So, I will assume that given that I have seen some questions my true ability is like a 550? Is that a correct way to think about it?

Also, I have this "adaptive feeling" about the test... can anyone comment on this scenario?
First 5 questions - I get a Work problem wrong (quite simple, not THAT bad)
20 questions later - I get another work problem
towards end of exam - I get another work problem.

Essentially, I feel that that if I get wrong one type (work problem in this scenario) of question, I will probably see a harder one in the future of the test. I dont know if its me going crazy though...

Thanks for your time and thoughts.

All the best,
Jas
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 05 Dec 2009, 22:24
aj1545 wrote:
bb wrote:

I got a 730 actually on the GMATprep. I have yet to take the second one and I am saving it for the week before my test (Oct. 10).

I have taken Kaplan twice and got 710 & 760. Manhattan = 730. Princeton = 710. I have traditionally performed well on test day so I am hoping that I get 700+. I think that my app will speak for itself as long as I can get in the game.

My exp with MGMAT CAT is different. In Q, I did not have a very long chain of corrects (the longest was 5). But the test kept feeding me 700+ questions since Q#4 onwards (and never fed me 500-600 level question).
In V, even after getting several wrong in the first 10, I had 9-correct-answer-long chain in Q#20-30 range and by that time I started seeing 700+ again. If their cAT algorithm is the same as gmac, then, the first few questions being very important may not hold true and one can recoup the losses by getting a long-correct-answer chain even after the first 10.

-----------------------
tusharvk

Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Just how much overlap on GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 17:23
I read timetrader's post on the GMATPrep and he said that it can be take one or two extra times for practice, but there might be some overlap. I was wondering just how much over lap is there if you take both tests again for the second time and for the third time. I took the first exam before I started studying to estimate how much work I'll have to do. Now I've studied for a couple of months, and would really like to see how much I've improved and how much more work I'll have to do. However, I would like to save a test to do a week before the test. If I do the second test now and uninstall the software and then reinstall, can I do both tests over again without seeing more than 10% overlap?
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: Just how much overlap on GMATPrep [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 17:42
11MBA wrote:
I read timetrader's post on the GMATPrep and he said that it can be take one or two extra times for practice, but there might be some overlap. I was wondering just how much over lap is there if you take both tests again for the second time and for the third time. I took the first exam before I started studying to estimate how much work I'll have to do. Now I've studied for a couple of months, and would really like to see how much I've improved and how much more work I'll have to do. However, I would like to save a test to do a week before the test. If I do the second test now and uninstall the software and then reinstall, can I do both tests over again without seeing more than 10% overlap?

installing and reinstalling won't do anything..the program is stored in your registry..you would have to find a way to delete from the registry
VP
VP
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 31

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 10 Dec 2009, 17:50
Best thing to do is the take an exam and don't review what you got wrong/right. You can review what you got wrong, as far as question number, but don't review the answers.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 12 Dec 2009, 13:00
Is there a lot of overlap, when the two tests are taken for the second time?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 3

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 13 Dec 2009, 03:34
What I read on this and other forums, you can take test 3-4 times easily without much overlap (i.e. 4-5 questions). GPrep has good amount of questions.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 01:25
In general, I have notified an obvious correlation of getting a substantially higher score the less goofy I am on the first 9 questions.

The myth seems somewhat logical to me if I bring it into real life perspective. Although I know the logic and coding behind GMAC's software for determination of assessment, I think its somewhat common sense that initial assessments carry more weight rather than fine tuning one's ability past the first 1/4 to 1/5 of each respective section. Meaning the if then statements (obviously probably much more complicated in reality) matter more initially because thats a relative of how fast you can rise or fall in a mere few questions in the beginning. Kind like the phrase

initial impressions most?

Out of curiosity have any of you tinkered with the myth of the initial 5 or 8 or 10 questions on the GMAT Focus CATs? (Been hearing those are 2nd to none for Quant prep.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 3

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2010, 21:23
wow what an analysis :)

Regards
Ganesh
Class of 2012
Great Lakes Institute of Management
http://greatlakes.edu.in

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 3

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 04:51
very interesting analysis
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 30 Jan 2010, 05:24
now it'd easier to contact Princeton (or who it may be) to probe the binary\statistical algorithm its based on... but must admit the dedication and energy on this thread... I could think some of they guys could become great security experts and the other bit more edgy evil minded could become hackers... :) :) :) :)

Nice read really.
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 922 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2010, 01:58
This was great analysis and effort devoted is highly appreciated.

What I believe is they have hired smart people as we pay a lot to give gmat lol.
So, they must have used complex algorithms or artificial intelligence programs to understand and mould the level of question anytime.

Eg. They will throw question randomly from level 550-650 first and based on first few question..say 4-5 or 7-8 they will guess the level. Though after every wrong/right ans level would have been varied.

Now algo had decided we are 650 level, now if we ans question above 650 level we will get actual + bonus mark( these marks are not actual marks, they might be anything used for analysis by the algo) and if we ans the question wrongly below 650 we lose actual + penalty mark. And side by side our initial level is also varied and they keep on throwing questions above/below depending upon our ans.
And these bonus/penalty marks must have been different for different level and number of question answered right/wrong in a row. So just by getting 4-5 right and then guessing a question will not harm.

Now its obvious number of question with difficulty level in their DB must be like this
750+ < 700+ < 650+ < 600+ < 550 +
So more the number of questions in a particular level we exhaust, more likely to have that level in the analysis.

I would like to request BSD to experiment this::: in quant we have 37 questions.. after every 4 right, ans one wrong and in total you will have around 9 wrong.
again after every 8 right, ans 2 wrong in a row and again you will have 9 wrong.
again after 2 right one wrong, 6 right one wrong and again you will have total 9 wrong.
Just compare the results.

Fight for your dreams :For all those who fear from Verbal- lets give it a fight

Money Saved is the Money Earned :)

Jo Bole So Nihaal , Sat Shri Akaal

:thanks Support GMAT Club by putting a GMAT Club badge on your blog/Facebook :thanks

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Gmat test review :
670-to-710-a-long-journey-without-destination-still-happy-141642.html

CEO
CEO
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Followers: 178

Kudos [?]: 922 [0], given: 235

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 07 May 2010, 15:20
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 06:35
Getting 12 wrong answers is not the same as getting 12 consecutive wrong answers. Your claim is valid only if you miss 10 consecutive ones in the middle/end and see totally different results compared to missing 10 in the beginning.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 1

Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep [#permalink] New post 13 May 2010, 08:08
I'm not surprised by your Verbal experiment's outcome. You are essentially saying that one of SC or CR is more important than the other. However, that can't be the case, because an easy SC question should have the same weight as an easy CR question. Likewise, a hard SC question should have the same weight as an equally hard CR question. So when you get all SC correct and the rest wrong, you're essentially getting relatively the same amount of hard questions right as when you get all CR correct and the rest wrong.

Hope the above makes sense.

bsd_lover wrote:
Yup, I was at it again today. Next set of experiments :
3. What is the importance of the last 17 questions?
Experiment : If I get the 1st 20 correct and mess up the last 17 what will happen ?
Methodology : Kick butt in the 1st 20 and guess the last 17
Results : Q49 with 12 wrong overall.
Analysis: Whoa !!! 49 ? with the same number wrong as the 1st experiment ... By Question 20 I had received all the tough quant concept questions that I could have ever hoped for. However, I wasn't expecting a score as high as 49. Although that might be because I got a few guesses on the last 17 right. Even so I'm sure I'd have received 46 or above here. Goes to underscore the importance of those first 10 questions compared to the last few.

4. What is the importance of CR in Verbal ?
Experiment : If I get all the CRs correct and mess up everything else what will happen ?
Methodology : Kick butt in all the CRs and guess everything else
Results : V13 with 29 wrong overall.
Analysis: I think I've busted my own myth that CR is more important than SC in some way. This doesn't seem to be the case. I got 11/11 CRs correct and still could not achieve more than 13. The CRs were different to the ones I usually get (at 40+ level). I encountered 4 of these CRs in the 1st 10 questions.
Re: (Un) Scientific analysis of gmatprep   [#permalink] 13 May 2010, 08:08