Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 00:54

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unable to improve speed..

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 15

Unable to improve speed.. [#permalink] New post 03 Apr 2012, 18:05
I have been solving quantz and verbal questions, i could solve almost every question but the constraint is that it takes a lot of time for some questions. how do i improve my speed?
4 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 606 [4] , given: 114

Re: Unable to improve speed.. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 09:19
This post received
KUDOS
Improving you speed comes from learning how to address different question types. Many times people can overpower GMAT questions with brute force. That means, when you give them 5-10 minutes they could figure out the right or wrong answer just by going through all the different ways they THINK they might get to the right answer. This will not work on test day. In fact, you will get crushed on test day if you even spend more than 3 minutes on ANY question.

My advice is to concetrate more on HOW to solve questions the correct way the first time/every time. This will mean that you should work harder on your fundamentals, and also work very hard on reviewing practice problems to make sure that if you ever see one of them again, you will be able to solve it the right way the first time. The best way to learn to do this is to implement an error log into your studying.

Once you start feeling a little more comfortable, start testing yourself under timed conditions and never go over 2-3 minutes on ANY problem. Learn how to guess correctly, and make educated guess, so that timing doesn't kill you. Once you are done with those problems, go back, figure out why you were unable to solve in the right amount of time, and learn from your mistake and take notes in your error log.

Just remember, every question on the GMAT has been created to be solved in under 3 minutes. So even the absolut toughest GMAT questions can be solved in the right amount of time.

Over time, you will pick up short cuts, and learn pattern recognition, and these will all help with speed.

Good luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Followers: 539

Kudos [?]: 2273 [1] , given: 31

Re: Unable to improve speed.. [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 10:40
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
In addition to the excellent advice in the previous post, I will also add my two cents to this.

You might be interested in this blog I wrote, about practicing GMAT questions with time constraints in place:
http://magoosh.com/gmat/2012/pacing-and ... -the-gmat/

In the post above, GMATLA said: "Improving you speed comes from learning how to address different question types." I couldn't agree more. Because of this, I would highly recommend checking out Magoosh test prep. We have 200+ videos covering all the content & strategy you will need on the GMAT, and one of our specialties is recommending strategies that save students time and allow them to work more efficiently with precision. Magoosh offers high quality GMAT prep at a mere fraction of the cost of the alternatives.

Here's a sample lesson, showing a particularly efficient math strategy:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/lessons/311-dou ... nd-halving

Here's a sample SC question:
http://gmat.magoosh.com/questions/1081
Each of our 800+ has its own explanation video. When you submit your answer to the question, the explanation video will come up on the next page.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Mike :)

Mike McGarry
Magoosh Test Prep

Expert Post
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 294

Kudos [?]: 693 [0], given: 6

Re: Unable to improve speed.. [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 14:00
Expert's post
Improving speed and efficiency is what makes some students score higher than others.

It all comes down to attack strategy and recognizing pitfalls way in advance. Each section's strategy is different. But without an attack strategy, you're going to trip up here and there and it's going to cost you.

Quick tips:
SIMPLIFY - in SC and RC, cut the fluff! Skip over phrases and extra descriptive words that are there just to confuse you.

CR - visualize
PS - visualize and draw out your on solutions
DS - structure the attack - very easy to get confused here

Thinking process is key - think like a pro and you'll see all the hard questions turn easy.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Re: Unable to improve speed..   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2012, 14:00