Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 13:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unbalanced GMAT - INSEAD

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Unbalanced GMAT - INSEAD [#permalink] New post 04 Apr 2012, 20:41
Hi,

I just took the GMAT today with the intent to apply to INSEAD round 1 which is due next week. I ended up with 690 split 50Q / 34 V... very unbalanced. Corresponds with 92% / 64%, which is below the recommended 70/70 split.

Ideas on what I should do? Pass on round 1 and apply round 2? Does it really matter?

I plan on taking the GRE as a "band-aid" for the verbal on Monday and will ask my recommenders to emphasize my presentation/verbal skills, at least as not a weakness.

Other than that, I went to an Ivy, studied engineering and business both in undergrad with a 3.5, and the verbal was certainly a fluke. Native English and grammar has never been an issue.
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 606 [1] , given: 114

Re: Unbalanced GMAT - INSEAD [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 09:13
This post received
KUDOS
Well I can definitely tell you that you are in a much better situation then if your scores were switched (aka 92% verbal and 64% quant). The verbal is less important to Adcoms, and fortunately, your Quant is at 92% which is great! As long as your AWA is a 5.0 and over, and your application essays are very well written (make sure to have many good writers read them over for errors and grammar) you should be absolutely fine. I would not recommend retaking the test, unless you are sure that you can improve significantly in verbal without dropping your quant. If you believe you can, then it might be worth shooting for that 700+ score since verbal will help drive that score higher. I don't even know if it's worth while taking the GRE as a "band aid" b/c unless you destory the verbal then it probably won't mean much.

Also, make sure your recommenders discuss your communication skills specifically, b/c those are the most important "verbal" skills around. Also, make sure they speak on your quant ability b/c Adcoms care more about quant.

This is something that you can overcome, and is much easier than overcoming a low quant score or poor overall GMAT score. Best of luck!

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Unbalanced GMAT - INSEAD [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 10:07
Thanks! Have you heard of the 70% minimum for INSEAD on both sections? I've also read on the forums that for some borderline candidates, they actually email candidates and ask them to retake to get the 70%.

For that reason, I do plan on taking the GMAT again, even after the round 1 deadline has passed but before interviews would come out.
Current Student
Concentration: Finance, Finance
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
Followers: 122

Kudos [?]: 606 [0], given: 114

Re: Unbalanced GMAT - INSEAD [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 10:25
I have not heard of any true "Minimum requirements" at INSEAD, but if you are in fact worried about it, you might want to contact their admissions department see if they do in fact exist. The good news is, that you are quite close to the 70% in verbal, and I do not believe that you would have to spend all that much time to bring it up. Plus, you're score is at a current point where an incrase in verbal will take you over the 700+ mark and improve your admit % slightly. So it might be a good tactic for you to retake if they in fact have these minimums. Your quant is excellent! Congrats.

Good luck

New to the GMAT Club? <START HERE>

My GMAT and BSchool Tips:

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V36
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 73 [0], given: 36

Re: Unbalanced GMAT - INSEAD [#permalink] New post 05 Apr 2012, 12:27
as someone who has applied to INSEAD, i can tell you that they do take the percentiles seriously. There is not much to be gained from applying in earlier rounds at INSEAD. For all it matters, you may even apply in Round 3.

Considering you are native speaker, I do strongly suggest that you retake GMAT

http://sanjuro9.tumblr.com

Re: Unbalanced GMAT - INSEAD   [#permalink] 05 Apr 2012, 12:27