Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Nov 2014, 19:43

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unbalanced scores: how big of a problem?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

Unbalanced scores: how big of a problem? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 08:33
Hi all,

I'm running into what may or may not be a problem. I have taken two practice GMAT exams (the first two MGMAT CAT exams). I scored 720 (96%) on both (yay!)

However, there is a large discrepancy in the Quant/Verbal scores. This is the breakdown:
Test 1:
Q44 (73%)
V45 (99%)

Test 2:
Q44 (73%)
V44 (97%)

Clearly, I need to continue working on my math skills. But let's say hypothetically I'm not able to improve my math score. Is this going to cause a problem when the admissions boards review my scores? Or do they care more about the overall score?

Thanks very much.
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Retired Moderator
Schools: University of Virginia
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 220 [0], given: 37

Re: Unbalanced scores: how big of a problem? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 08:45
your math score will be a bit of a problem if you're going for the top-notched quant-heavy schools, schools such as columbia, wharton, booth to name a few. However, if you have some other ways to compensate for the math score, such as transcript (if you took a whole bunch of quant-heavy classes in college and got all A's), extracurriculars, work experience (as an ibanker or financial analyst, etc), you may be able to get away. Without knowing too much about you, this is what I can think of. The application itself is a hollistic one, and a Q44 can be compensated. I'd say anything below a 70 percentile in math is where you should really consider retaking.

So what it all comes down to is basically where you're thinking of applying/going, what you do for work, what your college (or even grad school) transcript looks like, what you want to do post-MBA.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Intern
Intern
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.65
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 2

Re: Unbalanced scores: how big of a problem? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 09:36
Dont worry about your MGMAT quant scores.The Quant section in MGMAT tests is usually more tougher,atleast 2 levels ahead,than the Quant section in the real GMAT test.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 53

Re: Unbalanced scores: how big of a problem? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 09:46
mrwuzzman,

The GMAT prep tests are the best indicators of how you'll score on the real thing. As you'll see the quant questions on the MGMAT are tougher than those on the GMAT prep. They are also more calculation heavy. The GMAT quant questions rely on subtle traps (they'll ask you to calculate something, but then ask for it's reciprocal etc.)

If you are scoring consistently in the region of Q44-45 you should be able to score Q46-48 on the GMAT prep. As for the verbal section you seem to be a guru :-D, so...

If you like my post please click +1 kudos on my profile - Thank you!!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Losing Motivation? Michael Jordan | Nick Vujicic | Adversity
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Schools: Carey '16
GMAT 1: Q V
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 71

Re: Unbalanced scores: how big of a problem? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 09:55
mrwuzzman wrote:
Hi all,

I'm running into what may or may not be a problem. I have taken two practice GMAT exams (the first two MGMAT CAT exams). I scored 720 (96%) on both (yay!)

However, there is a large discrepancy in the Quant/Verbal scores. This is the breakdown:
Test 1:
Q44 (73%)
V45 (99%)

Test 2:
Q44 (73%)
V44 (97%)

Clearly, I need to continue working on my math skills. But let's say hypothetically I'm not able to improve my math score. Is this going to cause a problem when the admissions boards review my scores? Or do they care more about the overall score?

Thanks very much.

dude....you tryna study together lol. I'm trying to break 600 haha.

Take a Survey about GMAT Prep - Win Prizes!

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 27

Re: Unbalanced scores: how big of a problem? [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2010, 11:30
I'd suggest that you study ONLY the quant stuff. I was in your exact shoes when I started studying (720 on first MGMAT, 99th verbal, 73rd Quant) and studied exclusively quant. The MGMAT guides are excellent for working on your math skills. Just put in a month or two and you'll see a significant rise in your math score.
Re: Unbalanced scores: how big of a problem?   [#permalink] 30 Aug 2010, 11:30