Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 08:14

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unbelievable - Bombed the exam

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Unbelievable - Bombed the exam [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 19:18
I just got back from the test center and I couldn't believe my eyes. A measly 450 !!!!!. I couldn't believe my eyes. What freaks me the most is all during the test I was getting tough problems. Infact I got some right out of the prep tests. Last night I took my final prep exam and got a 640. How could there be such a discrepancy. I am totally devastated. I've been studying for the last 3 1/2 months, every day, learning the concept. Gosh I still don't believe it, and for those who have done well, you know the feeling when you finish the exam that you have got it right this time, and I had the same feeling that if anything I would score close to 620 and boom. I'm totally demoralized.

This is my second attempt and my first was a similar story but then I didnn't study this hard and this long. I honestly believed that I was doing pretty good, how could that be??? I'm very confused. I wasn't over confident and I was actually taking a lot more time to do the first 10.

The only difference between this and last attempt as this time., I spend a lot of time in the first 20 from each section making sure I got them right and I knew it in my heart that I was doing them right.

As you can see i'm totally dejected, disappointed and very much confused. I wish I could see all of the problems which I did because I can't seem to understand where did I go wrong. How could this be. Ok now I'm repeating myself.

I think this ends my journey to attend a reputable graduate school. Waste of time and money. I do want to thank you all for such a wonderful support. I wish all the aspiring people all my very best, I couldn't get there but I wish all of you the very best in your future endevors. Adios.

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unbelievable - Bombed the exam [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 19:46
alimad wrote:
I just got back from the test center and I couldn't believe my eyes. A measly 450 !!!!!. I couldn't believe my eyes. What freaks me the most is all during the test I was getting tough problems. Infact I got some right out of the prep tests. Last night I took my final prep exam and got a 640. How could there be such a discrepancy. I am totally devastated. I've been studying for the last 3 1/2 months, every day, learning the concept. Gosh I still don't believe it, and for those who have done well, you know the feeling when you finish the exam that you have got it right this time, and I had the same feeling that if anything I would score close to 620 and boom. I'm totally demoralized.

This is my second attempt and my first was a similar story but then I didnn't study this hard and this long. I honestly believed that I was doing pretty good, how could that be??? I'm very confused. I wasn't over confident and I was actually taking a lot more time to do the first 10.

The only difference between this and last attempt as this time., I spend a lot of time in the first 20 from each section making sure I got them right and I knew it in my heart that I was doing them right.

As you can see i'm totally dejected, disappointed and very much confused. I wish I could see all of the problems which I did because I can't seem to understand where did I go wrong. How could this be. Ok now I'm repeating myself.

I think this ends my journey to attend a reputable graduate school. Waste of time and money. I do want to thank you all for such a wonderful support. I wish all the aspiring people all my very best, I couldn't get there but I wish all of you the very best in your future endevors. Adios.

Wow... im shocked as well. U seemed to do very well on the forums!

Hang in there man u can do it. Def give it one more shot!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 67 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unbelievable - Bombed the exam [#permalink] New post 26 Nov 2007, 20:03
Alimad
Different people react to situations in different way . Perhaps if same test is given to you today you may end up scoring 620-630..I would say bad for you...
I were you I would take a week break and regroup back after a lot of introspection.
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 42 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unbelievable - Bombed the exam [#permalink] New post 27 Nov 2007, 21:50
alimad wrote:

yikes i'm really sorry to hear :( unfortunately not all of us are natural born test takers who can score high after a few weeks of studying.. remember the GMAT does not measure your level of intelligence. knowing the fundamentals is one thing but applying what you know under pressure is a different monster. i also think that luck plays a great part as well. but you really shouldn't give up (i know easier said than done) as it really depends on when you are applying. if you do not plan on applying for programs next fall, i would recommend taking some time off and getting back into it (creating an error log). again if you feel you are done with the GMAT, i understand that feeling of feeling demoralized (efforts not equal to results) and not wanting to try again. dont let the gmat rule your life...
SVP
SVP
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 86 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 03:20
Do not give up !

Looking at your practice score, it's evident that u can make it ! :)... I believe it's two things that contributed, sadly, to your low performance.

First of all, had u get a lost of energy?
Not sleeping enough and a low stamina level are both the reason why, at the first, we cannot score as high as we can. To fight against this, u should do a GMAT test once a week with AWA sections. These tests should be done in the same conditions as the real one.

Secondly, were u nervous?
Here, it's always the same. We all think too much of the impacts if we do not score enough. We all imagine that we will never be admitted to our dreamt schools etc.... Well, it's easy here to say this but the GMAT is just a game in which no emotion has to be :)... Our first enemy is ourselves :)...But for what should we let this being real? Let explose your determination to kill this beast on the G day and during all your future preparation. God... That's not some questions on a computer that could defeat us ! :)... U will make it and it's the practice that will give the confidence.

Once in, I said myself "Well, I have prepared me for a while. I'm ready. I will make it now !" :)... Weird/Hard questions have to tackle by strategies definied before the test. U should try to work on your 2 precedent attempts to build up some accurate strategies on how to tackle this test.

Good Luck ! :D :)
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
hi [#permalink] New post 28 Nov 2007, 11:14
Ok, so you all have convinced me that I should not give up. With the state of mind I'm in, the only thing I can do is take mock tests to keep myself in the game.

Here's what I got :

MGMT : 6 tests
princeton : 4 tests
GMAT Prep - obviously 2 tests.

Should I just do 1 each week. remember I can again burn myself in about 30 days.

I'm pretty down with no clues so any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

GMAT the final frontie!!!.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unbelievable - Bombed the exam [#permalink] New post 29 Nov 2007, 12:20
sorry to hear that you performed so badly. but the good thing is that you must be actually better than you performed. So get your engines started and practice real time tests including the essays at least once a week after working the whole day. This will show you that you can score well even if you are tired.

Best regards and good luck!
Re: Unbelievable - Bombed the exam   [#permalink] 29 Nov 2007, 12:20