Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 04:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

UNC ($$$) vs Emory ($$$) for Investment Management

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

UNC ($$$) vs Emory ($$$) for Investment Management [#permalink] New post 11 Apr 2013, 13:35
I want to move from technical consulting to Investment management. It is really a tough move. Though I am open to opportunities abroad. In Europe or may be Hongkong. Which school should I go to? Any insights on how tough it would be to move into IM and which school would provide me better resources?

I am getting a free ride at both of these schools.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 8 [1] , given: 7

Re: UNC ($$$) vs Emory ($$$) for Investment Management [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 07:36
This post received
KUDOS
Looks like no one is answering. I will try to answer this. I only looked at consulting curriculum and opportunities while applying to these schools.

Looking at curriculum and facilities, UNC seems to have an edge. It has a better network of alumni in Finance in general, provides a concentration in IM, has labs and student managed funds.

At Emory, this looks like a black box. I could not get much information from the internet. Good luck with your decision. At bot the schools you will have to put in a lot of efforts to break into IM.
Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2137

Kudos [?]: 7322 [0], given: 3619

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: UNC ($$$) vs Emory ($$$) for Investment Management [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 09:14
Expert's post
techtoim wrote:
I want to move from technical consulting to Investment management. It is really a tough move. Though I am open to opportunities abroad. In Europe or may be Hongkong. Which school should I go to? Any insights on how tough it would be to move into IM and which school would provide me better resources?

What other programs have you applied to? If both of the top 20 programs are offering a full ride, would it make sense to try your luck at the top5? With your move/path you need all the help you can get (esp with some of the things going on in exonomy) and hbs or Wharton may be the right plays even without a full ride?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
Schools: Kelley (Indiana) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.5
WE: Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 23

Re: UNC ($$$) vs Emory ($$$) for Investment Management [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2013, 19:23
If it's finance, Kenan-Flagler is tough to beat. Based on your offers, you could probably get at least an interview at the likes of Stern or Columbia though, so you should take that into consideration.
Intern
Intern

Re: UNC ($$$) vs Emory ($$$) for Investment Management [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 15:38
jxcho wrote:
If it's finance, Kenan-Flagler is tough to beat. Based on your offers, you could probably get at least an interview at the likes of Stern or Columbia though, so you should take that into consideration.

Thanks! I seem to be leaning towards KFBS as well. Great community. I loved the admit weekend experience.
Intern
Intern

Re: UNC ($$$) vs Emory ($$$) for Investment Management [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2013, 15:46
bb wrote:
techtoim wrote:

What other programs have you applied to? If both of the top 20 programs are offering a full ride, would it make sense to try your luck at the top5? With your move/path you need all the help you can get (esp with some of the things going on in exonomy) and hbs or Wharton may be the right plays even without a full ride?

I wanted as much money as I could get. I could not have asked for more. Breaking into IM from the top 5 or top 10 might be a bit easier but then the competition would be as fierce. Does it make sense to start with a small/unknown/regional firm in IM than say do something altogether different function wise in a large/prestigious firm?
Re: UNC ($$$) vs Emory ($$$) for Investment Management   [#permalink] 15 Apr 2013, 15:46