Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 19 Dec 2014, 05:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Under federal rules, calories derived from salad bars does

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 3

Under federal rules, calories derived from salad bars does [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 22:04
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Under federal rules, calories derived from salad bars does not count towards meeting the minimum calorie requirement, but the salad bars can nonetheless provide healthy nourishment

This is an e-gmat question and I have a doubt in this

The problem in this sentence is that the subject calories is plural and the verb "does not count" is singular. I did this question wrong because I didnt know "does not count" is singular can someone explain ? .... also what will be the plural form.

Thanks in advance
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE: Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 72

Kudos [?]: 755 [1] , given: 116

Premium Member
Re: e-gmat question doubt [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 22:58
This post received
KUDOS
yuvrajpratap wrote:
This is an e-gmat question and I have a doubt in this

under federal rules, calories derived from salad bars does not count towards meeting the minimum calorie requirement, but the salad bars can nonetheless provide healthy nourishment

The problem in this sentence is that the subject calories is plural and the verb "does not count" is singular. I did this question wrong because I didnt know "does not count" is singular can someone explain ? .... also what will be the plural form.

Thanks in advance

It should be " Calories DO not count" as in " He does not count" but "They do not count"

Kudos Please... If my post helped.

Did you find this post helpful?... Please let me know through the Kudos button.

Thanks To The Almighty - My GMAT Debrief

GMAT Reading Comprehension: 7 Most Common Passage Types

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1338

Kudos [?]: 3883 [0], given: 194

Re: e-gmat question doubt [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2012, 19:37
Expert's post
Hi @yuvrajpratap,

You are absolutely correct that "calories" is plural subject and it does not agree in number with the singular verb "does not count". This is exactly what the question in Pre-assessment quiz for our Sentence Structure live session intended to check. Please see the screenshot below for the question. I believe you may not have read the question correctly :). This question was in fact designed to check whether you understand how to break the sentence into its clauses and whether you understand how to identify SV pairs. And it seems that you were definitely able to do that just right!

If you have any further questions about this, please feel free to post them in e-GMAT internal forums. We have a very active forum at e-GMAT.

Regards,

Payal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Re: e-gmat question doubt   [#permalink] 04 Nov 2012, 19:37