Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 26 Oct 2014, 00:34

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 383

Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2013, 06:39
az780 wrote:
Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way whether or not the heat and pressure are removed.

(A) remaining this way whether or not
(B) remaining like that even as
(C) remaining as such whether or not
(D) remains in this way although
(E) remains thus even when

The official answer to this problem is E!!!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 08 Jan 2014, 06:13
outdated post
OA is E
please correct it
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 07:03
Hi E-Gmat,

Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most stable form of pure carbon, changes into the substance commonly referred to as diamond and remaining this way whether or not the heat and pressure are removed.

(A) remaining this way whether or not-out
(B) remaining like that even as-out
(C) remaining as such whether or not-out

Im able to eliminate Choices A,B,&C as and is the parallel marker First Verb is "Changes" and Second should be "Remains"
But not able to eliminate Choice D & E. Please explain ?

Thanks in advance
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 56

Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 05 Feb 2014, 19:12
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-Gmat,

(A) remaining this way whether or not-out
(B) remaining like that even as-out
(C) remaining as such whether or not-out

Im able to eliminate Choices A,B,&C as and is the parallel marker First Verb is "Changes" and Second should be "Remains"
But not able to eliminate Choice D & E. Please explain ?

Thanks in advance

In D, 'this' doesn't have a referent. 'Although' is used to bring in contrast, which isn't required (and illogical too). Another thing. 'Although' is a conjunction (subordinate) and hence proper punctuation (comma) is needed to connect the main and dependent clauses.

E remains.

Read my posts...
What are modifiers ??

Expert Post
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1300

Kudos [?]: 3683 [0], given: 185

Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 10 Feb 2014, 11:37
Expert's post
Hi Nitin,

As the above poster has pointed out "although" is unnecessarily bringing in a contrast. There is no contrast in the intended meaning of the sentence. The sentence wants to say that even when certain conditions are changed, the diamond doesn't change. So, no contrast is required here.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
Meghna

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeT9_Wr0DlI&feature=youtu.be

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 12:27
E is the correct answer!

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 12-26-2014
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 5

Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2014, 20:43
On OG12, the answer for this question is given as E. Over here, it is given as D.

I was relying on the latter all this time, and when I sat down to solve OG12 today, I realized the answer option "D" is incorrect. This has been so confusing for me. Can we please have correct answers on the questions over here. I am sure that will help a lot of people instead of creating ambiguity.
Manager
Manager
Schools: ISB '15
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 54

Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 07 Apr 2014, 04:06
hemanthp wrote:
Ron Purewal says (and I post this here for the benefit of the group..I will take the KUDOS anyways :P ):
the correct answer to this problem is (e).

usually "thus" is used to mean roughly "therefore", BUT "thus" can mean "in the same way" or "in the same state".
for instance:
at maturity the caterpillar becomes a butterfly, and remains thus until its death. --> in this case, "thus" means "in the same state", and, therefore, means "as a butterfly".

same thing in choice (e), in which "thus" means "in the form of diamond".

this IS the intended meaning: AT THE TIME WHEN the pressure is removed, the substance stays in the form of diamond.

--

(d) is incorrect.

* "in this way" is unidiomatic here.
"in this way" can refer only to the MANNER IN WHICH AN EVENT OR ACTION OCCURS OR IS PERFORMED.
it CANNOT refer to the physical state of something. for instance, in the above example, you CANNOT use "in this way" to refer to the butterfly stage.

also:
* if you use "although", you are basically declaring that "the heat and pressure are removed".
in other words, "X, although Y" expresses the idea that X and Y are both facts (although they contrast with each other in some way).
this is not the intended meaning; "heat and pressure are removed" is a hypothetical that may or may not happen, and so should be introduced with "when" or "if" rather than "although".

-End of Ron's message

Thank you.

Hi,
In that case, please change the OA. Thanks.

Veritas Prep - 650
MGMAT 1 590
MGMAT 2 640 (V48/Q31)

Please help the community by giving Kudos.

Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most [#permalink] New post 16 Jun 2014, 05:23

OA is E not D

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Re: Under high pressure and intense heat, graphite, the most   [#permalink] 16 Jun 2014, 05:23