Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Oct 2014, 01:53

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

undergrad to mba... any advice?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

undergrad to mba... any advice? [#permalink] New post 10 Mar 2006, 12:38
education
i'm 25 and a polisci major at a top 5 LAC in the midwest. my college career began late @ 22 due to immigration limits (undocumented status) and was once again interrupted due to health (heart) and financial issues.

I left college after my 1st yr with a dismal 1.8 gpa, which was due in part to my 2 yr absence from a classroom after h.s., and my learning problems with dyslexia, which wasn't diagnosed until age 23.

I also have taken econ courses through econometrics as well as quant courses needed for mba. I returned to school last fall and have managed to improve upon that 1.8gpa to what is now a 3.52.

work experience
During my leave from college, I started a non-profit consortium of professional west african expatriates living in the u.s. and western europe (400+ as of Feb), which aimes to drive, promote, and establish tech firms, consulting, banking, and outsourcing IT jobs in ghana & nigeria.

I also started a web-based forum that tries to promote american democratic/secular/progressive ideals which are often clouded by our current administration's nationalist populistic agenda. it'd backed by my college, and hopes to expand to feature discussion groups from the middle east and the asian subcontinent.

I also work part time doing IT work for my college.
I haven't had any 'real' professional work experience outside of wage-based jobs over the last 5 years.

as far as the gmat goes, I managed a 740 score. I don't plan on taking it again after preparing for 4 months. I am, however, curious about how that score compares to other minorities who have taken the gmat. there's very little info to be found online, unless i simply googled with the wrong parameters. anyone with suggestions or info concerning this?

I also plan on applying to b-schools next fall, and would like to know what my chances are as compared to both graduating seniors and the general applicant pool.

plans after mba
I plan on returning to ghana with my partner, to set up a firm working directly with the govt to tackle the growing needs of our organization, which neither of us feels fully equiped to handle at this juncture.

any response will be greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep Representative
Schools: Kellogg MBA 2004
Followers: 37

Kudos [?]: 209 [0], given: 50

[#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2006, 13:06
Expert's post
I would try to get a few years of full-time work experience before applying to b-school, even though you're older than the average applicant. This will partly help to overcome your low undergrad grades early in college. Your extracurriculars sound very interesting, but be careful about sounding like you are using your application to stump for your own political agenda. Re: your GMAT, it's very good. Don't take it again.

Scott

Scott

Veritas Prep | GMAT Prep | MBA Admissions Consulting | Co-author, Your MBA Game Plan

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
For a limited time, receive access to five Veritas Prep Computer Adaptive practice tests when you purchase a Veritas Prep GMAT book! Buy Now!
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews