Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I would not go that far Ryme... you don't have to major in something practical in your undergrad to go to med school, law school, whatever. If your parents have money maybe you will go to no grad school at all and teach high school english. And you should also realize that if you major in english at a top school you are probably more competitive for journalism than someone who went to a lesser school and majored in journalism. (I know many english majors who went on to be journalists and editors) What makes me scratch my head is students who want to apply for pursuits in which they do not have any strength. I have had some pre-med minded students who have no skill in chemistry, physics, math, etc... They would never make it through organic chemistry. I have had other applicants who do not have anywhere near the grads or SATs to get into the school... that is what makes no sense to me. I understand your point of view given that I would probably be a bit ahead of the game if I had majored in quant econ rather than history, but all the same Alan Greenspan was a music major. I love you Ryme, but with all respect your post is a bit disappointing.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Pelihu, some good points in there. The Communications school at my undergrad had the best looking girls, I was always jealous of the guys that were in that school.

I suppose that majors like History and Geography might have some non-obvious advantages later in a career for instance if a person wants to get into politics or work for the State Department.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
I think Pelihu and others have made the point that I would make - liberal arts educations are about being a well-rounded individual with strong organization, writing, speaking, and research skills. I am one smart chick (in case you can't already tell by my erudite posts, and my use of words like erudite), and being in college was all about me learning to apply and further develop my smarts like a grown-up.

Aside from the sciences, I think you can learn almost any task on-the-job, as long as you have adequately developed thinking and processing skills. Think of all the jobs out there - there is no "trade school" for financial counseling, marketing, program management, etc. People in these careers developed their skills and interests over time.

The problem is that people decide that a given major must funnel them into a certain job. Being an English major is not about becoming an English teacher - one of my favorite people is the director of a very well-run Planned Parenthood clinic in Iowa, and she was an English major. Students need to understand that if they want ready-made careers, they should go to cosmetology school.

I'm sure you've all heard two stats that I think are illimunating: people of our generation will have 7 separate careers in their lives. I KNOW that very, very few of us have 7 majors. And what's the other one? Something like fewer than 50% of fortune 500 CEOs have MBAs. Your education doesn't make you - it might just teach you some particularly applicable tricks along the way. But I for one know that I am quite capable of learning all kinds of new tricks, whatever my major was. (International Relations and Russian, in case you were wondering.)

You can pursue your passion - English, music, whatever - and still learn those critical thinking skills when you've got a liberal arts degree.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
Mark4124 wrote:
I would not go that far Ryme... you don't have to major in something practical in your undergrad to go to med school, law school, whatever. If your parents have money maybe you will go to no grad school at all and teach high school english. And you should also realize that if you major in english at a top school you are probably more competitive for journalism than someone who went to a lesser school and majored in journalism. (I know many english majors who went on to be journalists and editors) What makes me scratch my head is students who want to apply for pursuits in which they do not have any strength. I have had some pre-med minded students who have no skill in chemistry, physics, math, etc... They would never make it through organic chemistry. I have had other applicants who do not have anywhere near the grads or SATs to get into the school... that is what makes no sense to me. I understand your point of view given that I would probably be a bit ahead of the game if I had majored in quant econ rather than history, but all the same Alan Greenspan was a music major. I love you Ryme, but with all respect your post is a bit disappointing.

I love you too. And I knew my post would strike a chord with some people - so dont feel bad for ripping me in half. It's cool. That was kind of the point - I wanted to see and hear from people who had done this so that I could adapt my viewpoint. The purpose of my post wasn't to get a bunch of congratulatory high fives - but rather to get that other perspective - exactly what you bring to the table.

So take no offense, but rather know that you've given me a helpful glimpse into the other perspective.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Cool beans Ryme... It is a very interesting thing to do and I would encourage anyone to avail themselves of the opportunity to interview undergrads for their alma mater... It is an incredible view of the way people think at a particular stage in their life and what the future holds for all. One of the take aways of mine, from my undergrad interviews, my 3yrs in finance, and all this MBA stuff, is a desire to go into high schools everywhere and stress the importance of math. If I had to do it all over again I would have proceeded much further than Calculus I... I would love to understand schocastic calculus and everything that underlies hardcore financial engineering. But at a far lesser level I have seen many I work with be limited by their lack of quantative skills... From failure on the series 7, CEP exams, CFP exams, etc... Many of the hinderances that I have seen have a correlation with lack of quantitive skill. In speaking with the general public... from taxes, to statement accounting, to trade calculations... I have seen a real lack of basic mathematic skill out there. Interviewing my applicants for undergrad I have seen this deficet as well. One of my future project will definately entail teaming up with high school math teachers to deliever my story and my message of the importance of mathematics... I truly believe this is an issue of fundemental importance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
I wish I was better at math too :(
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
why can i not see the original post by rhyme when i click on this thread?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
why can i not see the original post by rhyme when i click on this thread?

I deleted it because it offended some people.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ha...did you insult us liberal arts majors?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
[#permalink]
dukes wrote:
ha...did you insult us liberal arts majors?

Yea I did, cause you are all a bunch of pot-smoking hippy pansies who like to dance around and listen to music and talk about your feelings.

Just kidding.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
Nah... only aaudetat is! :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Not true. I am the only child of the 80s on whom Nancy Reagan actually had an effect. Yep, I am the poster child for the Just Say No campaign.

I don't know why people would be offended - I hear lots of commentary on the less-than-obviously practical nature of today's basic liberal arts education. You might even be anxious for all those 18-year old kids who want to be English/Art/Music majors. Perhaps they could study lit by getting a library card and avoiding throwing down $100k. On the other hand, it's much more difficult to become proficient in science or engineering without formal education -- after all, you need a lab/fancy computer/professor with pocket protector to learn those subjects. Besides, with all the debt those poor kids are about to take on, are they really going to get to pursue their artsy-fartsy dreams? A much better choice might be to study something that will get them a "real" job after graduation.

Obviously, I am a screaming liberal and don't agree. But it's a worthwhile argument.
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
With almost 80k in undergraduate debt I can definately see the argument for majoring in something that will get you a high paying job after graduation. I was going to go into education, but after working in finance with a decent salary I can not imagine how I thought this would ever be possible. For one whose partents are unable to pay for their college education practical concerns will definately catch up with you. Relative to my mathematics concern... you certainly don't have to major in a technical subject to gain strong quantitative ability. You can major in english and take enough math to pursue other fields later in life. I think there are many paths to success, I know engineers who have done nothing since college and liberal arts majors who have been very successful...
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
This might be interesting to some readers:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=36328
SVP
SVP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Good add-on Hjort.

Rhyme, any comments?
Director
Director
Send PM
[#permalink]
People who are CEO's of Fortune 500 companies right now were in college, what, like between 20 and 40 or so years ago? Back then (as in, when these people were leaving college), an undergraduate degree was a lot more significant because not as many people had degrees, and there weren't ten million colleges issuing degrees. So a degree was A DEGREE, it didn't matter as much what the specific major was, because there wasn't as much competition. So I'm not that surprised that there are so many non-business type degrees running these companies.

I think in this day and age it's more important to obtain a degree with specific skills or knowledge that will help in landing a good job upon graduation. Of course some people want to be History professors, so they should be history majors. But if you don't know what you want to do, instead of picking Psychology because it's an interesting major and you don't know what else to do, it might make more sense to pick something like Communications or Business or something kind of broad.

I'm totally basing this on anecdotal experiences with friends who went to school and later regretted picking up degrees in areas that they don't want to work in. I can think of five friends who were English/Literature majors, four of them had trouble landing jobs after school. But, all five of them were super-intelligent people and they're all doing great now. (I mean seriously, someone who can understand James Joyce, or who is brave enough to take on a major that requires writing so many papers is a hundred times more impressive to me than someone with great quant skills).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Another view [#permalink]
Very interesting post indeed! (BTW, who cares if I get into B-school or not? Just going through the process has helped me broaden my views substantially).

I'm going to add to this discussion based on my experience with the educational system in Argentina. In case you don't care (and I understand if most of you don't), just skip this post.

a) The system does not allow for Major / Minor, double Major, no Major, etc. You study for a specific degree from day 1 (Eg: Engineer, lawyer, psychologist, Medicine doctor, philosopher, Architect, etc.). You can transfer to another degree later on, but it will take you longer, unless you transfer early on in between related degrees. For eg: if you want to transfer from Accounting to Business Administration, you can do so around year 3. Between Electrical an Industrial Engineering during year 2. But to transfer between Medicine and Law you would probably need to go back to year 1.

b) Electives are usually restricted to Senior year (usually 5th or 6th year).

c) Recruiters limit degree diversity much more than in the US (from what I've read here or elsewhere). While some degrees overlap, it is almost unheard of, for eg, an English major landing a job in finance. Finance would be typically restricted to: Economists, Business Admin Bs and to a lesser degree Accountants and maybe some Industrial Engineers.

d) Social sciences (eg: History, Literature, Sociology) degree holders are mostly limited to: teaching, writing (journalism, etc.), etc. HR departments may recruit some Sociologists / Psychologists and Psychologist can always work at hospitals or privately but it's almost unheard of, for example, a History degree holder becoming a CEO of any company but his own.

e) State run universities are free and well respected (paid for by taxpayers), so some people "experiment" with different choices for a few years.

f) Law is a 6-year degree, not grad.

g) English (or Spanish) degree holders usually work as teachers / translators or something like that.

To conclude, most students need to figure out the type of job they would like to land before enrolling into university. Or at least well in advance from graduation.

Most social sciences graduates are usually pursuing their passions, but they do so knowing that their salary prospects are most probably greatly diminished for years to come.

"What was the point of my post? Is it clear enough? -Probably not, but I've written so much that I'm not going to delete it-".

Cheers. L.
GMAT Club Bot
Another view [#permalink]
 1   2