Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:26

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Undergraduate needs suggestions/help!

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Undergraduate needs suggestions/help! [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2010, 15:58
Hello everyone! I am new and delighted to be here.

I will provide my stats and then move on to the specific questions:

-I go to a state school in the United States
-I have an average GPA 3.4-3.5
-I am an Accounting and Business Economics double major
-I have had 2 finance internships (local firms)
-I have one accounting internship (fortune 100 company) I am working at part-time

Currently I am in a dilemma. I have not been able to get job offers from any accounting firms (most probably due to my weak GPA). I had an interview at a bank however I got rejected. Right now I do not know what to do, I am lost, confused, frustrated.

Now that we have the sobbing story out of the way, I want to know my options. I am looking at masters programs in finance and accounting. I am interested more in the finance/economics side.

I also have yet to take my GMAT.

I would like advice on the necessary steps I should take regarding the Masters in Finance programs. I am obviously keeping the Masters in Accounting program at my current school a back up if I don't get into a Masters in Fin program. However the Masters in Fin is my first choice. I am interested in learning about financial analysis, investments, valuations, capital markets in general, etc. I would like a job in anything that relates as well :)

1) Is a Masters in Fin a good choice for a person with my background?
2) Which Masters in Finance programs should I be looking at?
3) What kind of GMAT score should I target for those programs?
4) Can a Masters in Accounting get me to where I want to be as well?

Sorry for the long read. Any help and guidance is very appreciated! I can also provide a resume in Private Messaging if you want to see it.

Thanks.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: HEC
Concentration: Economics, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V44
Followers: 85

Kudos [?]: 480 [0], given: 432

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Undergraduate needs suggestions/help! [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2011, 09:21
Expert's post
Hi, SPH. Sorry for the long overdue reply.

You mentioned a program with finance and economics. For graduate level economics courses, students will need a background in Calculus I, II, and III (or I and II, depending), as well as linear algebra. Also, a strong background in statistics, regression, and excel will help out quite a bit.

A 3.5 GPA is good, but you will need a high GMAT score to get into a top program. Luckily, you have a good bit of work experience. This is a tremendous asset.

A list of MSc Finance programs and rankings is available on the MSc Finance forum, though you have probably already seen them by now.

For your particular career goals, a graduate program in finance would help more than a MSc Accounting.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Re: Undergraduate needs suggestions/help!   [#permalink] 12 Jan 2011, 09:21