Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Jul 2015, 15:51

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Understanding CRITICAL REASONING TEXT

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GPA: 3.45
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Understanding CRITICAL REASONING TEXT [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2015, 08:52
Buddy,

Am non-native English speaker, Am studying CR from the last 1week. I pretty much got all the basic knowledge required to attempt a CR question.
But the real barrier Am facing is "Am not able to understand the complicated text". Can you please suggest something to overcome this?
To learn the fundamentals of CR, we can have many resources to read. But what should be done to understand the complicated text.

Good or bad, Small or Big.... Any suggestion is appreciated.....

Thanks in advance....
Am waiting for your reply.......
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 120

Re: Understanding CRITICAL REASONING TEXT [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2015, 09:50
shra1raju wrote:
Buddy,

Am non-native English speaker, Am studying CR from the last 1week. I pretty much got all the basic knowledge required to attempt a CR question.
But the real barrier Am facing is "Am not able to understand the complicated text". Can you please suggest something to overcome this?
To learn the fundamentals of CR, we can have many resources to read. But what should be done to understand the complicated text.

Thanks in advance....

Shrav1 most of the CR texts are not complicated. GMAT uses a specific language. U need to get a hang of it. The more OG CR and GMAT prep software questions you practice the more you will understand how they write the questions. You ears need to get tuned to GMAT English.

Also as an extra, I would suggest you to check solutions for CR and SC problem on the MGMAT forum ( Or on BTG- expert replies if you cant find a convincing answer ) and understand how Ron breaks the problem. Please do not follow too many strategies from everyone (I did that and bombed in my first attempt). Most importantly you need to translate every question into a learning. i.e if you learnt X in a question, can you efficiently apply that X in the exam within the time frame and under pressure. Think everything from the exam point of view. Maintain a word/excel document and paste every answer for the questions you do ( Not just the wrong ones, I mean all the practice questions ) so that you can revise them later. Filter them into categories Top 100/Top 200 and prioritize as the exam approaches.

Like every other Indian, we are used to finishing the portions first and taking the tests later BUT GMAT has limited topics and unlimited ways of testing them, so there is no point of taking mock tests later. Aim for one mock every week. GMAT not only tests your concepts BUT YOU STRESS LEVELS, STABILITY and BODY.

I saw your other post first, hence I deviated from the topic and thought to share some insights.I hope it helps :)

Cheers,
Ray
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Marketing, General Management
GMAT Date: 06-26-2015
GPA: 3.45
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Understanding CRITICAL REASONING TEXT [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2015, 10:52
Thanks you so much Ray for suggestion.. Those are really helpful.
As you said, Am doing this mistake trying to learn all the strategies given in books and internet. I think I have to stick to one for a particular type of question.
I will check the MGMAT fourm.

And thanks for taking your time to read to my post and reply...

Alchemist14 wrote:
shra1raju wrote:
Buddy,

Thanks in advance....

Shrav1 most of the CR texts are not complicated. GMAT uses a specific language. U need to get a hang of it. The more OG CR and GMAT prep software questions you practice the more you will understand how they write the questions. You ears need to get tuned to GMAT English.

Also as an extra, I would suggest you to check solutions for CR and SC problem on the MGMAT forum ( Or on BTG- expert replies if you cant find a convincing answer ) and understand how Ron breaks the problem. Please do not follow too many strategies from everyone (I did that and bombed in my first attempt). Most importantly you need to translate every question into a learning. i.e if you learnt X in a question, can you efficiently apply that X in the exam within the time frame and under pressure. Think everything from the exam point of view. Maintain a word/excel document and paste every answer for the questions you do ( Not just the wrong ones, I mean all the practice questions ) so that you can revise them later. Filter them into categories Top 100/Top 200 and prioritize as the exam approaches.

Like every other Indian, we are used to finishing the portions first and taking the tests later BUT GMAT has limited topics and unlimited ways of testing them, so there is no point of taking mock tests later. Aim for one mock every week. GMAT not only tests your concepts BUT YOU STRESS LEVELS, STABILITY and BODY.

I saw your other post first, hence I deviated from the topic and thought to share some insights.I hope it helps :)

Cheers,
Ray
Understanding CRITICAL REASONING TEXT   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2015, 10:52