Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Oct 2014, 00:41

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Understanding Kaplan Percentiles

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Understanding Kaplan Percentiles [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 06:17
Hi Guys,

I have taken 2 Kaplan Test, and both gave me 74 in Verbal plus 48 and 66 in Quant, with total 580 and 630 scores.

First, just to be sure, this means 74 percentile? Because Kaplan dosen't use that expresion, instead they talk about "percentage below", so I'm not 100% sure it's the same.

Then I gave real GMAt yesterday, with Percentile 50 in both, scores Q40/V28 so I'm a little dissapointed and specially with Verbal.

Any comments about the first question of Kaplan expression?
What you think about the difference?

Finnaly, this are "unoffcial scores" They can change?

Thanks :|
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 644
Location: Cambridge, MA
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 2

Re: Understanding Kaplan Percentiles [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 09:23
Expert's post
ewallach wrote:
Hi Guys,

I have taken 2 Kaplan Test, and both gave me 74 in Verbal plus 48 and 66 in Quant, with total 580 and 630 scores.

First, just to be sure, this means 74 percentile? Because Kaplan dosen't use that expresion, instead they talk about "percentage below", so I'm not 100% sure it's the same.

Then I gave real GMAt yesterday, with Percentile 50 in both, scores Q40/V28 so I'm a little dissapointed and specially with Verbal.

Any comments about the first question of Kaplan expression?
What you think about the difference?

Finnaly, this are "unoffcial scores" They can change?

Thanks :|
Hi ewallach,

"percent below" and "percentile" are the same statistic. Sorry that your real test wasn't quite up to the scores you saw on the CATs--it's very hard to make a CAT that's a perfect predictor, simply because no mock test can accurately capture the stresses and challenges of the real exam.

To answer your other question, your "unofficial scores" will be your final scores in the overwhelming majority of cases. Basically, the only way your score could change is if a question is found to have an error, and is discounted from your score--I've never personally seen this happen to one of my students.

Hope this helps, and thanks for choosing Kaplan!
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Understanding Kaplan Percentiles [#permalink] New post 07 Sep 2013, 13:21
Hi Eli, thanks for the fast answer.

Actually I understand that, my real concern is how I could get in the Kaplan Diagnostic test for example, a 580 score with percentiles 48Q and 74V and then get the same 580 points in the real test but with percentile 50 in both.

In adition, how can I see scores in Kaplan reports and not only percentile?

Thanks
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 644
Location: Cambridge, MA
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 2

Re: Understanding Kaplan Percentiles [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 15:19
Expert's post
ewallach wrote:
Hi Eli, thanks for the fast answer.

Actually I understand that, my real concern is how I could get in the Kaplan Diagnostic test for example, a 580 score with percentiles 48Q and 74V and then get the same 580 points in the real test but with percentile 50 in both.

In adition, how can I see scores in Kaplan reports and not only percentile?

Thanks

Hi ewallach,

There have been some issues with our percentile scores recently--I apologize for any confusion they may have caused, and we're looking into the best way to get them straightened out as quickly as possible. We don't currently offer sectional scores, only sectional percentiles, as well. Sorry for any inconvenience!

Best,

Eli
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 07 Sep 2013
Posts: 5
Location: United States
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 6

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Understanding Kaplan Percentiles [#permalink] New post 08 Sep 2013, 16:28
Hi Eli,

With some problems you mean that I may get a percentile 74 por something that really is a 50? Sounds pretty serious to me, specially if Kaplan is not warning the users. How can I now my real status in each section?

Thanks
Expert Post
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 25 Aug 2009
Posts: 644
Location: Cambridge, MA
Followers: 67

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 2

Re: Understanding Kaplan Percentiles [#permalink] New post 10 Sep 2013, 15:54
Expert's post
ewallach wrote:
Hi Eli,

With some problems you mean that I may get a percentile 74 por something that really is a 50? Sounds pretty serious to me, specially if Kaplan is not warning the users. How can I now my real status in each section?

Thanks

Hi ewallach,

Try using official practice tests. Also, since your overall scores are accurate, you can focus on those--and use Kaplan percentiles to track relative improvement on each section as you go!

Best,
_________________

Eli Meyer
Kaplan Teacher
http://www.kaptest.com/GMAT

Prepare with Kaplan and save $150 on a course!

Image

Kaplan Reviews

    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Experts publish their posts in the topic Trying to understand Kaplan CAT scores farful 4 25 Sep 2013, 04:18
I don't understand my Kaplan score, can somebody help me? roughtell 2 26 Feb 2013, 16:14
1 Help understanding the Kaplan Cat Test scores MisterEko 3 01 Nov 2010, 18:15
Experts publish their posts in the topic Understanding a Kaplan score of 670 motleyfocus 5 22 Jul 2010, 11:18
kaplan percentile scoring evangreen 0 06 Apr 2010, 10:49
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Understanding Kaplan Percentiles

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.