Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Apr 2014, 21:13

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Understanding the GMAT Algorithm

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Understanding the GMAT Algorithm [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 13:21
I took the GMATPrep 1 for the second time today, and based upon my results, I wanted to ask some of you about your understanding of the algorithm which is used to select questions, and determine our scores. Here are the two tests compared:

GMATPrep 1_v1:
640: 42Q, 36V
Q: Missed 3 of the first 4. Missed 14 total.
V: Missed 3 of the first 4. Missed 17 total.

GMATPrep 1_v2:
730: 48Q, 42V
Q: Hit the first 7, then missed 12 of remaining 30.
V: Hit 14 of the first 15 (missed 2nd). Missed 8 total.

Particularly for Quant, it seems the algorithm hones in on the score within the first 10 questions, and then adjusts for the final 1/3. After all, I basically missed one out of every three of the last 30 questions, but because I was correct on the first 7, my score was 48? Does this mean if a person misses two of the first four, the computer will establish a range, and despite how many questions are subsequently answered correctly, it's difficult to break past that range?

In Verbal, I missed the second question, but then hit the next 13. Although my misses were much more spread out (and fewer) than in quant, I received a MUCH lower scaled score. Is this due to the miss on #2? In other words, if I had hit that second question, and had my first miss on #15 instead, would my scaled score have been significantly raised?

I'm happy with the second result, but because this is a repeat from an exam I already took, I'm taking it with a large grain of salt. With that said, I didnt' see many repeat questions in either section. The ones I did see, I ended up missing anyway, so the repeat questions' role in my score is probably not that huge. I also started stressing a bit on the first 7 questions, because I wasn't seeing anything that looked terribly difficult. Thus, I assumed I had missed a couple and was therefore being relegated to a lower bucket. But, as mentioned above, this wasn't the case.

Your thoughts and experiences are greatly appreciated.
Kaplan Promo CodeKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
1 KUDOS received
VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 141 [1] , given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Re: Understanding the GMAT Algorithm [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 15:11
This post received
KUDOS
its tough to say. While I dont believe the whole first ten question thing, I do think you get penalized more for getting easier questions right which probably would come in the first few questions so there may be something to that. I think your score mostly comes from how many of the difficult questions you get right. So if you score low in the first few questions you will be at a low level, you can get a bunch right then it will throw a hard at you, you get it wrong, it drops you,then a few easy, hard,get it wrong drops you.

I have gotten 12 wrong on gmatprep and got a 50M so right and wrong means nothing on the test.
Current Student
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Understanding the GMAT Algorithm [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2008, 16:34
terp26 wrote:
its tough to say. While I dont believe the whole first ten question thing, I do think you get penalized more for getting easier questions right which probably would come in the first few questions so there may be something to that. I think your score mostly comes from how many of the difficult questions you get right. So if you score low in the first few questions you will be at a low level, you can get a bunch right then it will throw a hard at you, you get it wrong, it drops you,then a few easy, hard,get it wrong drops you.

I have gotten 12 wrong on gmatprep and got a 50M so right and wrong means nothing on the test.

Thank you for the response. How were the 12 wrong responses distributed throughout the question set?
Re: Understanding the GMAT Algorithm   [#permalink] 12 Apr 2008, 16:34