Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 10:07

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 2

Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 03:38
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

63% (01:42) correct 37% (00:52) wrong based on 153 sessions
Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet
discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds.

A. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary
relationship between dinosaurs and birds
B. offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close
evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
C. offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet
discovered between dinosaurs and birds
D. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship
between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered
E. have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the
close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Trying hard to achieve something unachievable now....

Last edited by dkverma on 02 Nov 2010, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
Expert Post
8 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1697 [8] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: Fossils of Feathered Dinosaurs [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 06:47
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
A. offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary
relationship between dinosaurs and birds - The best among the lot

B. offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close
evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

-What has yet been discovered- should naturally exclude the discovery under issue, so that a comparison could be made. Here it is not. You must add the word – other- and state - than what other has yet been discovered -

C. offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet
discovered between dinosaurs and birds

Same as in B -relationship than any yet – should be rephrased as- relationship than any other yet-

D. have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship
between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered

- Dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered – fossils have been discovered and not dinosaurs and birds- wrong modification

E. have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the
close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

Same as in B and C. -than any that has yet been – should read as -than any other that has yet been –. to make out a comparison

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 85 [0], given: 65

Re: Fossils of Feathered Dinosaurs [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2010, 08:42
A.

More is not followed by than, and the most is preferred.

Between A and D, D has 'that' modifying only the birds.

Consider KUDOS if my post was helpful. :-D

My Debrief: 750-q49v42-105591.html#p825487

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the [#permalink] New post 22 Dec 2013, 08:02
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 54

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the [#permalink] New post 04 Jul 2014, 11:26
This post was
BOOKMARKED
Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds.

(A) offer the most dramatic evidence yet discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
(B) offer evidence more dramatic than what has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds
(C) offer more dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship than any yet discovered between dinosaurs and birds
(D) have offered the most dramatic evidence of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds that have yet been discovered
(E) have offered more dramatic evidence than any that has yet been discovered of the close evolutionary relationship between dinosaurs and birds

I found that by looking at the meaning and construction of the sentence you can eliminate choices quite easily.

In A, "evidence yet discovered" looks awkward, but doesn't seem incorrect. The key is to look at where "yet discovered" is in the other choices.

A - "yet discovered" refers directly to the "evidence" that the fossils offer. Correct.
B - "yet been discovered" ambiguously refers to "what" and seems to be referring to evidence other than the unearthed fossils. Additionally, "more" adds an unnecessary comparison and complicates the meaning of the sentence. Incorrect.
C - "yet discovered" refers to "the close evolutionary relationship". Incorrect.
D - "yet been discovered" refers to "dinosaurs and birds" (because the sentence uses "have"). Incorrect.
E - "yet been discovered" ambiguously refers to "any" evidence other than the fossils mentioned. Additionally, "more" is used in the same way as in choice B. Also, "have offered" is not grammatically incorrect, but it is unnecessary because it offers no additional information between a past event and the present. Both "offer" and "have offered" mean the same thing in the context of this sentence. Simplicity wins. Incorrect.
Unearthed in China, fossils of feathered dinosaurs offer the   [#permalink] 04 Jul 2014, 11:26