Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Aug 2014, 11:24

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unemployed at the moment of applying?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Posts: 144
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Unemployed at the moment of applying? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 03:59
Male, 30, Argentina
Experience: 4 years experience in multinational oil company (Europe), 1 year experience in NGO (Africa).

My issue:
Anyone has got any experience of an applicant who is unemployed at the moment of submitting his application? (bad signal?) I'm considering resigning from my company to take a year off before starting the MBA ('08), but I don't want to spoil my application just because I'm unemployed at the moment of applying. Any comments?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 01 May 2006
Posts: 1816
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 87 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 04:04
Apart to climb the Everest, I think it's not a good idea to stop working when u are applying...

Note that it's only my point of view and that I'm not an expert in application :)
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
avatar
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Joined: 05 Apr 2006
Posts: 5925
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE: Business Development (Consumer Products)
Followers: 252

Kudos [?]: 1530 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Unemployed at the moment of applying? [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 05:40
querio wrote:
Male, 30, Argentina
Experience: 4 years experience in multinational oil company (Europe), 1 year experience in NGO (Africa).

My issue:
Anyone has got any experience of an applicant who is unemployed at the moment of submitting his application? (bad signal?) I'm considering resigning from my company to take a year off before starting the MBA ('08), but I don't want to spoil my application just because I'm unemployed at the moment of applying. Any comments?


I only know of one person who did this, and the last I heard from thing "things were not going well".

I'd suggest you only consider this if you can seriously think of a VERY LEGITIMATE reason to do so.

For instance, if your post-mba goals are to go work in China, and you take a year off to do an intensive language course in China while living with a family there in other to "broaden your cultural understanding", you might have a legitimate and reasonable (while also interesting) explanation as to why you quit.

If on the other hand you quit and decide to hang out or just work on your apps, you will find yourself in hot water. Moreover, dont forget you need recommendations! Dont burn any bridges!

On balance, I wouldn't do it.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 06:38
Why are you leaving early?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 11 Sep 2006
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 10:12
I left my job last september due to needing a break after personal life turmoil (father passed away after lengthy battle with cancer) and general unhappiness at work.

I have been waitlisted at my first choice and accepted into my second choice.

Have a knockout gmat, great essays (address the unemployment in one of the essays) and good recs and you can make up for it.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 10:31
never mind
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 10:32
gmatclb wrote:
dipeshc4 wrote:
I left my job last september due to needing a break after personal life turmoil (father passed away after lengthy battle with cancer) and general unhappiness at work.

I have been waitlisted at my first choice and accepted into my second choice.

Have a knockout gmat, great essays (address the unemployment in one of the essays) and good recs and you can make up for it.


So, you alredy left?

Then why are you asking?

So you want to defer admission for 1 year?


It's 2 different people: querio asking and then dipesh providing his own story to try and help querio.

L.
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 09 Jan 2007
Posts: 707
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 11:12
lepium wrote:
gmatclb wrote:
dipeshc4 wrote:
I left my job last september due to needing a break after personal life turmoil (father passed away after lengthy battle with cancer) and general unhappiness at work.

I have been waitlisted at my first choice and accepted into my second choice.

Have a knockout gmat, great essays (address the unemployment in one of the essays) and good recs and you can make up for it.


So, you alredy left?

Then why are you asking?

So you want to defer admission for 1 year?


It's 2 different people: querio asking and then dipesh providing his own story to try and help querio.

L.



Wow. You're fast. Real fast.

I edited my post within seconds of posting that. I edited it so fast that the forum didn't even bother to write down the time I edited my post.
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2006
Posts: 1360
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 183 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2007, 12:13
gmatclb wrote:
Wow. You're fast. Real fast.

I edited my post within seconds of posting that. I edited it so fast that the forum didn't even bother to write down the time I edited my post.


I happened to run into your post just when you wrote it, apparently. :lol:

L.
  [#permalink] 15 Jun 2007, 12:13
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Graduate School for the Unemployed DK 8 06 Mar 2009, 10:15
Unemployed Recommender? cez 3 09 Dec 2008, 19:12
In case you're unemployed... nink 0 25 Nov 2008, 08:35
Music for the moment.... GMATT73 28 29 Jul 2006, 21:19
Inspirational Moments!!! Gauss 15 15 Jul 2006, 21:23
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Unemployed at the moment of applying?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.