Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Apr 2014, 08:02

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unexpected low score - Next steps?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Unexpected low score - Next steps? [#permalink] New post 18 Sep 2012, 08:36
Hello,

I just came home from the GMAT test and I scored only 600 (Q42 57%, V30 56%) :-(
My preparation was five weeks of which I studied the first three weeks around 5 hours a day and the the last two weeks around 7 hours a day.
Because I just finished all my undergraduate exams, there was nothing else during these 5 weeks and I could exclusively focus on the GMAT.
I used all the Manhattan Strategy Guides (except the CR and the RC guides), went through the Kaplan Premier and of course, I practiced with the OG.
I am definitely better in the verbal part and CR and RC seemed pretty straight forwarding to me, that's why I didn't use the CR and RC Manhattan guides.
I spent roughly 70 % of the time on quant and even though I have improved a lot, verbal was still easier and my results always better.

My score is really disappointing for me because I was able to achieve the following prep test results (under realistic conditions) in the last week before the actual test:
GMAT Prep1: 640 (Q44 66%, V34 69%)
GMAT Prep2: 690 (Q45 71%, V40 89%)

I thought with these results I am ready for the actual test and I could achieve at least 630 and my goal of 650+ is definitely realistic!

Personally, It's really hard to understand the score, because I felt really good, slept enough and was not too nervous.
After the Quant section, I realized that my performance was worse compared to the quant sections of the preps because I just guessed more and did some stupid time consuming mistakes.
The low score in the verbal section, however, is really disappointing and much worse than what I expected. :(

Now, I would appreciate some advices on how to proceed concerning the use of study material as well as the amount of time I need to achieve my goal of 650+.
Is the volatility of your scores that high or were my expectations just too high?

Thanks a lot for any advice! :-)
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
BSchool Thread Master
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
Schools: ISB '14 (D)
GMAT 1: 570 Q49 V19
GMAT 2: 700 Q51 V31
GPA: 3
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 51

Kudos [?]: 192 [0], given: 39

GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Unexpected low score - Next steps? [#permalink] New post 19 Sep 2012, 00:28
Hi,

Material looks more than enough to me. You can check out the material i used for the prep in my signature(how to start gmatprep)
Do go through Thursdays with Ron for SC and for some topics in RC

Regarding Quant i have written a post. Link in my signature (how to improve Quant score)

Good Luck!

ankit
you must believe

How to start GMAT preparations?
How to Improve Quant Score?
gmatclub topic tags
Check out my GMAT debrief
Thursdays with Ron link
Looking for a Quant tutor? Check out my post for the same!

Combined Formula Sheet :
Number Properties || Word Problems and PnC || Equations, Inequalities || Geometry

How to Solve :
Statistics || Reflection of a line || Remainder Problems

Retired Moderator
Affiliations: PMI, ASQ
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Followers: 107

Kudos [?]: 608 [0], given: 21

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: Unexpected low score - Next steps? [#permalink] New post 20 Sep 2012, 17:04
Other than Gprep, are there any other mock CATs that you attempted?
Did you go through the IR and AWA sections and adhere to the break timings?

Preparation times are usually different for different people, but the most of the folks that you will come across have prepared over a period of 3 months or more and given 10 - 15 mock tests (including diagnostic). As you build up muscle over a period of time, rather that in a short while with extensive exercise, so is true with GMAT prep. Skills take time to develop, unless you have been appearing for other exams such as LSAT or GRE, in which case your prep time should be less.

I strongly feel you should spend less time per day on prep books and stretch the preparation period to allow your brain to absorb the inflow of concepts. You can get a lot of help by reading GMAT fiction, not only because it will help you on the exam, but also while you are in BSchool and need to read a humongous amount of material.

I would strongly recommend going through this thread: gmat-study-plan-how-to-start-your-gmat-prep-80727.html

It could also be possible that you had a bad day, and the scores do not reflect your true performance. Going by your scores, I was expecting 700 - 710 in the actual exam.

Try a few more tests. You get free tests from Veritas, Kaplan, Princeton MGMAT and several other test prep companies.

And yes, Ron's sessions are amazing. You must check them out.

Legendary Collections
1. 700 Level Quant 2. IIM Quant 3. 100 CR from LSAT 4. 100 Legendary SC 5. 5000 Practice problems 6.125 Quant 7. 38 SC 8. 10 Full Length GMAT Pen&Paper Tests
9. 1500+ RC 10. 100 Legendary CR 11. Additional Verbal Qs 12. Additional Quant Qs

My debrief |Free essay review initiative
PM me for One-on-One Webex Tutoring

Intern
Intern

Re: Unexpected low score - Next steps? [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2012, 04:31
Nice to hear some advices :)

Yes, I also did two Kaplan CATs:

3 weeks before the test >> Kaplan CAT: 580 (Q46%, V58%)
2 weeks before the test >> Kaplan CAT: 580 (Q40%, V74%)

I haven't mentioned them because they are supposed to be not the most accurate ones.

Now, I started studying again and that's my roadmap for the next month:

1. Manhattan Number Properties (I want to go through it thoroughly the second time, because I still see Number Properties as one of my major weaknesses)
2. Critical Reasoning Bible Powerscore (Haven't done anything special for CR, except the Kaplan Premier and a lot of people really recommend this book)
3. Manhattan Sentence Correction (I want to go through it thoroughly the second time)
5. Watch Thursdays with Ron
6. Two Manhattan CATs and analyze for certain area of weaknesses (especially in the quant section)
7. Tackle the areas of weaknesses by going once again through the particular chapters in the Manhattan Guides
8. Reset the GMAT Preps CAT Test and do them again
9. GMAT SECOND ATTEMPT !!!

One month to go through these 9 steps, but I'll study on average 2-4 hours a day. (It's anyway not that much time as it was in the month of preparation for the first GMAT attempt)
If the Manhattan CATs and the GMAT Prep CATs are in a range of 650+, I will be ready - hopefully!

I hope this is the right plan :D

Thanks Guys!
Intern
Intern

Re: Unexpected low score - Next steps? [#permalink] New post 13 Oct 2012, 08:38
I did all the steps from Step 1 to 6 except Ron's Videos because I just didn't like to study by watching videos^^

I did 3 Manhattan CATs:
CAT 1: 640 Q43 61%; V35 74%
CAT 2: 680 Q45 68%; V37 81%
CAT 3: 640 Q42 57%; V35 74%

Well, it looks like I haven't improved at all. :cry: :cry: FRUSTRATING...
However, I really like the detailed analysis of the Manhattan CATs and I spotted certain weaknesses:
1. DS is a lot worse than PS: Hit Rate DS: 40 %, Hit Rate PS: 62% (I really don't know how to tackle this weakness!)
2. Geometry
3. Only a 50% hit rate for CR (even though I went thoroughly through the "Bible")

Do you think I should give it another try?
I am still shooting for at least 630-650.

Cheers
GMAT Pill Instructor
Followers: 255

Kudos [?]: 553 [0], given: 5

Re: Unexpected low score - Next steps? [#permalink] New post 14 Oct 2012, 14:53
Expert's post
The goal is to improve confidence in question accuracy. The disparity between your practice score and actual score may have to do with exam day conditions - your adrenaline is up, your mind goes blank, you focus on getting through the test without taking a moment to confirm why your answer is correct before hitting next.

You can control a few things for how you perform on test day. You can also control your preparation in boosting up you accuracy. Both are things to consider. If you retake, you should consider learning a few new strategies that will help you answer questions differently. Obviously going through the books and resources got you this far, but you need some other resources in your next phase.

If you have a specific area to work on, select questions of those types and get some practice. You can try some questions on the Practice Pill Platform. Give yourself 1 month and really think about how your studying this time along is going to be different.

... and more

Image What's Inside GMAT Pill?

Zeke Lee, GMAT Pill Study Method (Study Less. Score More.)

GMAT Pill Reviews | GMAT PILL Free Practice Test

Intern
Intern

Re: Unexpected low score - Next steps? [#permalink] New post 17 Dec 2012, 05:56
SECOND ATTEMPT: 700 (Q 47 / V 38)
I am so happy :)

Key Take-Aways:
- The last 2 weeks I focused exclusively on OG Questions and I think this is an important point as questions from other prep material are kind of different
- Timing is highly important. In the second attempt and in all the high mock tests I was able to have neither too much nor too less time at the end of each section.
- The right "guessing strategy" is key: Be comfortable to do random guesses as well as educated guesses and try to recognize quickly whether you want to skip this question (and do a guess instead).
- Red Bull haha
- And don't be frustrated by a score which is lower than you prep scores because, in my opinion, there is a WIDE range of possible scores. It highly depends on your daily performance and how lucky you are! I think I am a 650-680 GMAT guy, especially when I consider my mock results. The huge difference between 600 and 700 exists more because of luck and day performance than on an actual improvement in understanding the GMAT stuff. However, I will not deny that the latter was not the case.

Cheers
Re: Unexpected low score - Next steps?   [#permalink] 17 Dec 2012, 05:56