Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 25 Oct 2014, 18:03

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GPA: 3.75
Followers: 129

Kudos [?]: 648 [1] , given: 62

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 10:46
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

64% (01:46) correct 36% (01:15) wrong based on 131 sessions
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage.

features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage

features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage

has numbered rather named its days, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage

numbered rather than named its days, out of its strong mercantile heritage

features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Discussion needed for why
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
is better than
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

Prepositional Phrases Clarified|Elimination of BEING| Absolute Phrases Clarified
Rules For Posting
www.Univ-Scholarships.com

6 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 445 [6] , given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Portuguese Heritage [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 13:52
This post received
KUDOS
Marcab wrote:
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage.

features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage

features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage

has numbered rather named its days, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage

numbered rather than named its days, out of its strong mercantile heritage

features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage

OA
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E

Discussion needed for why
[Reveal] Spoiler:
E
is better than
[Reveal] Spoiler:
B

I think there is a typo---Romance languages should be Roman Languages

Portuguese is a language so how can it take personal pronouns such as Their or its [its--Portugal (nation) ,their-- Portuguese people]
there are instances when we say--English was first spoken in medieval England but today It's spoken as a first language in several countries

but saying (as in B) evidence of its strong mercantile heritage. language having a mercantile heritage ?? doesn't make sense.
heritage can be used with People and nations (which is not the case here)
E correctly repeats Portuguese --to indicate the heritage of Portuguese people

Hope this helps

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

2 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 77 [2] , given: 12

Re: Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 11:29
This post received
KUDOS
vibhav wrote:
I choose B over E. I dont quite get the heritage hangup. Its quite difficult to be certain mercantile heritage cant be applied to a language. I do however, see in retrospect a parallelism problem with B ' features days that are not named but (are) numbered'. Does this make sense?

Portuguese is not a noun it is an proper adjective. Proper adjectives are formed from proper nouns such as Japan. The point is adjective can't be the antecedent of any pronoun. Everything gets killed only E remains.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [1] , given: 19

Re: Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days [#permalink] New post 03 Mar 2013, 17:27
This post received
KUDOS

b. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage

e. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage

I was confused between b. and e. as well.

It makes more sense for it to read:
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of Portuguese's strong mercantile heritage
(provided here Portuguese's is the heritage not the language). But since it is the language in this context it makes no sense.

Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of Portugual's strong mercantile heritage

eg: Just like You can't say Chinese (as a language) strong mercantile heritage. You can say China's strong mercantile heritage.

Therefore, E was the better option for me.

Hope that helps
Intern
Intern
GPA: 4

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 35

Re: Portuguese Heritage [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 10:52
Straight B...
'its' refer to Portuguese only....
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: INSEAD Jan '13
GPA: 3.9
WE: Marketing (Other)

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 17

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Portuguese Heritage [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 03:13
I agree with most of the points raised by dentobizz regarding that it should be refered to the nation rather than language but disagree that we cannot use the term heritage when we talking about language. I believe the issue here is more not "heritage" but "mercantile heritage". If we say: "Portuguese (language) has rich heritage", we mean that it is the language with rich history, but it is difficult to apply "mercantile heritage" to language because this term means more the "history with materialistic values", which is not very proper for language as it is for nation.

I hope my thinking is correct.

If you found my post useful and/or interesting - you are welcome to give kudos!

Expert Post
Current Student
Status: Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Followers: 258

Kudos [?]: 996 [0], given: 82

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Portuguese Heritage [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 03:40
Expert's post
Hi Ziko,

Your thinking is correct. Heritage can be used for languages. see http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/heritage

the meaning "A tradition; something that can be passed down from preceding generations."
can be used for a language.

Vercules

Press Kudos if you want to say thanks

Ultimate Reading Comprehension Encyclopedia | Ultimate Sentence Correction Encyclopedia | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- VERBAL | GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios -- IR

Please Read and Follow the 9 Rules of Posting in Verbal Forum

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Portuguese Heritage [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 12:39
Quote:
language having a mercantile heritage ?? doesn't make sense.

@ Ziko as I said before the expression mercantile heritage was odd enough to eliminate the option in the first go but good to know that heritage can also be used wrt a language

@ Vercules Thanks for the link

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 46 [0], given: 33

Re: Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days [#permalink] New post 24 Jul 2013, 04:40
I choose B over E. I dont quite get the heritage hangup. Its quite difficult to be certain mercantile heritage cant be applied to a language. I do however, see in retrospect a parallelism problem with B ' features days that are not named but (are) numbered'. Does this make sense?
Re: Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days   [#permalink] 24 Jul 2013, 04:40