Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 13:30

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V33
WE: Consulting (Telecommunications)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 75

Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days [#permalink] New post 01 Feb 2013, 22:10
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

65% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (02:07) correct 59% (01:41) wrong based on 73 sessions
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage.

A. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage

B. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage

C. has numbered rather than named its days, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage

D. numbered rather than named its days, out of its strong mercantile heritage

E. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

YOU CAN, IF YOU THINK YOU CAN

Last edited by greatps24 on 02 Feb 2013, 04:36, edited 1 time in total.
Director
Director
Schools: Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 396 [0], given: 241

Re: the Romance languages [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2013, 01:38
Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage.

A. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of their strong mercantile heritage - Portuguese as a Language is Singular, thus ITS must be used.
B. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage - Free of any error. Correct placement of STRONG etc
C. has numbered rather than named its days, evidence of its strong mercantile heritage- This option means that the Language (Portuguese) did the numbering on its own, and thus distorts the original meaning
D. numbered rather than named its days, out of its strong mercantile heritage- This option means that the Language (Portuguese) did the numbering on its own, and thus distorts the original meaning
E. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage - Adjective STRONG is used at a wrong place (before Portuguese). The use would mean that language is strong rather than heritage.

So, IMO, the answer has to be B.

Fame

If you like my Question/Explanation or the contribution, Kindly appreciate by pressing KUDOS.
Kudos always maximizes GMATCLUB worth
-Game Theory

If you have any question regarding my post, kindly pm me or else I won't be able to reply

Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 6

Re: the Romance languages [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 02:25
You have to repeat Portuguese because it does not make sense to refer to it with "its". In the beginning of the sentence, "Portuguese" refers to the language whereas the "its" in the second part refers to "Portugal" (the mercantile heritage of the language Portuguese does not make sense) therefore you can't use this pronoun. Answer E corrects this issue by adding the adjective "Portuguese"

Quote:
E. features days that are not named but numbered, evidence of the strong Portuguese mercantile heritage - Adjective STRONG is used at a wrong place (before Portuguese). The use would mean that language is strong rather than heritage.

I don't think that is a problem, "strong" modifies the whole clause "Portuguese mercantile heritage"
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 43

Kudos [?]: 444 [0], given: 249

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: the Romance languages [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2013, 03:53
Here is the discussion on the same problem
portuguese-heritage-145927.html

How to CHOOSE your Business School
Thanks = Kudos. Kudos are appreciated

Rules for posting on the verbal forum
When you post a question Pls. Provide its source & TAG your questions
Avoid posting from unreliable sources such as 1000 series.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 279

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days [#permalink] New post 19 Jun 2014, 07:32
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Re: Unique among the Romance languages, Portuguese features days   [#permalink] 19 Jun 2014, 07:32