ted', ), ); ?> Unique Profile Evaluation : Ask Accepted.com
Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 08:00

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unique Profile Evaluation

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Unique Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 29 Aug 2009, 07:10
Hi, please help me in evaluating my profile because it is quite different from the normal.....

Education :- Polymer Engineer from India. Graduated from a tier one university. GPA 3.5

GMAT Score :- 720

WorkEx :- 2 yrs and 3 months. Changed two companies in this time span.

First company : Campus recruited in a Top Petrochemical company in India. Promoted to Export Marketing Analyst within a year. Handled Accounts in Europe and Africa. Responsible for developing business in Central Asia region. Responsible for reviving a sick unit which had to be eventually shut down because of strict company policies. Left this company in 1.7yrs in 2007 because of some family problems.

Second Company :- Project Administrator in a fortune 200 company. The company was setting up a unit in India.I was their first recruit hence i had a valuable experience of working in a start-up.

Left this company in oct 2008 because i found a very lucrative business opportunity in construction industry. My said business could have been a low investment - high payback as their were some construction reforms ( Green Building ) happening during that period of time. There were already some big players but the market was not saturated. Unfortunately, the market crashed and construction industry in India also took the toll. I was not ready to take the risk of starting.

I have not been working professionally since OCT 2008 ( since i was involved in market research for my business ) but am involved in some NGO work. Gave my Gmat and now searching for a job ( hard to get because of market condition ).

My problem is I have had couple of years gap in my education as well as this gap in my job. But a very good growth when i was employed.

Extracurricular Activities :- Involved in many college related activities, organized seminars and exhibitions during my employment, reached district level swimming competition in high school, Horse riding , squash , Reading , me and my friend have a small music band, etc etc.

Please let me know where do i stand. I am targeting universities like NYU, UCLA, Chicago Booth , USC , MIT , Stanford. Do i stand a chance in this huge competition ( specially against my Indian counterparts ) ?

Thank you...
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesManhattan GMAT Discount Codes
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 164 [0], given: 0

Re: Unique Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 30 Aug 2009, 20:24
rebelsid,

Given your educational and professional gaps, the apparent lack of focus of your career progress, the lack of strong recent extracurriculars, and the fact that you are a male applicant from India (a common source of B-school applications), NYU, UCLA, Chicago Booth, MIT, and Stanford are not realistic for you. You may have a long-shot chance at USC.

Wish I could give you a more optimistic evaluation,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

Re: Unique Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 31 Aug 2009, 05:47
Thank you..

I have always been focused on starting my own venture rather than working for a company...Yes, I agree my profile talks bout a lack in career focus....But my focus has never been to be a CEO of some fortune 500 company....My focus has always been starting my own business and creating employment opportunities. Taking this focus into consideration i grabbed a good business opportunity( which i mentioned in my first post) when i knew i can handle a small business, since in my second job i was almost handling the complete working of the plant..from order processing to logistics and planning. But unfortunately with the world market crash my dreams crashed as well, because i come from a very middle class family and cannot afford huge monetary risks.

Talking bout extra-cu activities, what can make an application stand apart...I know 5 languages( 3 fluent, 1 moderate and 1 intermediate.)

How would you suggest i make my profile better if not the best since i know looking at the competition i am different from the usual in such a way that my profile can highlight some wrong moves more than the progress.

Thank you... I am sorry if i am being unrealistic but i am determined to get into the best schools. I plan to take entrepreneurship as my subject.

Hope you can just show me the road, i will take it from there....

Thank you.
SVP
SVP

Re: Unique Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 03 Sep 2009, 15:40
rebelsid,

Knowing 5 languages is impressive but it's not an extracurricular activity. The best activities are those in which you have a longstanding passionate interest and take a leadership role (coordinating others). Schools are not particular about *which* extracurriculars you get involved in.

In terms of improving your profile, you need to get a job and ideally one that's in line with your goals or previous positions and also represents a step forward in responsibility. You need to establish more leadership and impact. You are still young (I assume) so you have time to take the necessary steps: leadership both inside and outside of work. Other added assets would be international experience, unusual hobbies/interests, unusual personal story, developing a network at the schools you plan to target.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Intern
Intern

Re: Unique Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 13 Sep 2009, 09:52
HI,

How is freelancing job looked at by the adcoms?

My first company has offered me to be their Resident Representative (contractual basis) since they know i would leave the job next year. With this i would be handling the whole region for the company products.

Taking my post-MBA entrepreneurial endeavor into consideration, would this help in putting a strong case in front of the adcoms. Oh yet another thing....I am 27 years old. By the time i start my MBA i would be 28.

Thank you.
SVP
SVP

Re: Unique Profile Evaluation [#permalink] New post 15 Sep 2009, 19:21
rebelsid,

I think a contract or freelance position is fine as far as the adcoms are concerned. The key things are showing leadership and impact, not the manner in which you are employed. So, yes, that freelance position would improve your odds of admission. Your age is fine.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /