Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '18
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Affiliations: U. Chicago, Johns Hopkins, AIGAC
Own Kudos [?]: 192 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 379 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Re: Low GPA/High GMAT, Great WE, Great EC [#permalink]
Hi jbnewton,

First of all, congratulations on your outstanding GMAT score. Undoubtedly, it is an excellent indicator of your academic prowess, and it should definitely offset your low GPA . You have come a long way in every respect since your undergrad time . All the other aspects of your profile are pretty strong (your work experience, leadership roles, voluntary experience, goals etc.) which make you competitive for your target schools. Also, you have a convincing story to explain your GPA . You did improve your GPA in the third and the fourth year.

All you need to do now is begin working on putting together a stellar application packet. Present your impressive stories in the most effective way to the Ad Com and select the best recommenders who know you work well and can present you in the best light.

I would also recommend you to widen your list of schools and add 2-3 schools of your liking to your list.

Good luck on your application.
Own Kudos [?]: 494 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hey there,

You've got a great profile so I won't add my praise to what the other posters have already shared! Except for that GMAT - whoo - you rocked that!

As for your GPA...I completely understand both the work component (not many work through school) and the unfortunate news about your friends. Both of those can very definitely impact your GPA and I do like your upward trajectory. However, that said, your GPA is a massive red flag. Yes, the GMAT and the CFA and the explanations all help (without a doubt, you'll need to to use that optional essay). But with grades like that, I have to assume you did poorly in some courses you probably should have gotten higher grades. Classes schools will care about (think calc, stats, etc.)? I could be wrong but it's a hunch. If that's the case, you have time to at least kick off some supplemental coursework which will not only help offset your GPA, but also send a really strong signal that you a) recognize the GPA issue and b) you're serious about rectifying it in every way you possibly can. Even if you can't finish, being in the process would be the second best thing! I don't think you should count solely on your GMAT and CFA to carry you through here. Not if you're looking to target top 10 schools.

Happy to chat about this if you want - we've had a lot of low GPA clients and depending on where they are on the curve, we advise differently. With a 2.6, this is my $0.02. Good luck!!

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
MG4MBACrystalBall wrote:
A few additional considerations for you jbnewton:
  1. I'd agree with the assessment about there being no doubt on your academic abilities. Though the loss you had can be difficult to overcome, but you have showed tremendous resilience. The brand of both your undergrad school as well as your current organization will matter too though. It is not completely clear if you have that going for you or not. If you do, its definitely a great story
  2. Your ECs are pretty enviable and stuff made for great conversation as well as team work. This will nicely fill in the lack of teamwork/leadership one can have in an investment oriented roles. Another plus in the application overall.
  3. The goal you have set yourself up for is a pretty audacious one despite everything going for you. What makes it believable though is your network - cause more often than not, that's how hedge fund placements tend to work. Make sure you have your pitch loud and clear so adcoms do not get jittery assuming you are setting yourself up for failure.
  4. The final point I have for you is about your school selection. It is not clear why you would apply to only those 3 and not a slightly bigger set? Maybe even aim a bit higher to take your chances? Its worth a try, especially if you are going to move out of the country, you'll need all the brand you can on your resume.

Hope this gives you some additional inputs

Cheers,

Thanks MG4MBACrystalBall. Unfortunately, my undergrad institution is not a top ranked public school, and as such does not help me much. Fortunately, my current employer is very well known in the investment management industry, particularly within the Emerging Markets space. I don't know how well the adcoms will know of my firm, but within my industry, it is very well regarded.

Most of my leadership experience was done my first three years as an investment consultant. I managed a team of seven individuals. In my current role as an Equity Research Analyst, I am mostly on my own, though we do operate within a team atmosphere.

I feel most of my application will be top notch. My recommendations and essays will be superb, my work experience (5 promotions in 5 years, I've also doubled my salary within that time) is very good as well. I have a front office role that directly generates revenue for my firm, and a proven track record of success. The only smear on my application is a 2.6 GPA from an unknown, unranked public state university.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hey there,

You've got a great profile so I won't add my praise to what the other posters have already shared! Except for that GMAT - whoo - you rocked that!

As for your GPA...I completely understand both the work component (not many work through school) and the unfortunate news about your friends. Both of those can very definitely impact your GPA and I do like your upward trajectory. However, that said, your GPA is a massive red flag. Yes, the GMAT and the CFA and the explanations all help (without a doubt, you'll need to to use that optional essay). But with grades like that, I have to assume you did poorly in some courses you probably should have gotten higher grades. Classes schools will care about (think calc, stats, etc.)? I could be wrong but it's a hunch. If that's the case, you have time to at least kick off some supplemental coursework which will not only help offset your GPA, but also send a really strong signal that you a) recognize the GPA issue and b) you're serious about rectifying it in every way you possibly can. Even if you can't finish, being in the process would be the second best thing! I don't think you should count solely on your GMAT and CFA to carry you through here. Not if you're looking to target top 10 schools.

Happy to chat about this if you want - we've had a lot of low GPA clients and depending on where they are on the curve, we advise differently. With a 2.6, this is my $0.02. Good luck!!

Bhavik

Thanks for the valid feedback CriticalSquare. A quick question - do you think it is a possibility to be admitted to any of my target schools above without taking any supplemental quant courses? Part of my job is financial modeling. I've developed proprietary financial models for over 45 Chinese companies. I've also helped develop a quantitative screening model using Excel VBA now used by our entire department. The reason I am hesitant on taking supplemental courses is not because of my quantitative abilities - I am certain I could pass any course with an A+. However, as part of my job, I travel to Asia four to five times a year for 2 to 3 weeks at a time to meet with the management of companies we own, to meet with clients, and to meet with prospective clients. It is very hard to take classes with this kind of schedule.

Thanks for the feedback! It is much appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
myEssayReview wrote:
Hi jbnewton,

First of all, congratulations on your outstanding GMAT score. Undoubtedly, it is an excellent indicator of your academic prowess, and it should definitely offset your low GPA . You have come a long way in every respect since your undergrad time . All the other aspects of your profile are pretty strong (your work experience, leadership roles, voluntary experience, goals etc.) which make you competitive for your target schools. Also, you have a convincing story to explain your GPA . You did improve your GPA in the third and the fourth year.

All you need to do now is begin working on putting together a stellar application packet. Present your impressive stories in the most effective way to the Ad Com and select the best recommenders who know you work well and can present you in the best light.

I would also recommend you to widen your list of schools and add 2-3 schools of your liking to your list.

Good luck on your application.

Thanks myEssay review for your response. I've chosen 2-3 schools because I am not sure I can get into schools that are higher ranked than Tuck and Columbia with my unfortunate GPA. Also, I'd like to spend as much time as possible on each application, essay, and school research. Adding more schools to the list would take away from the time I can focus on each school's application.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 148 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
jbnewton wrote:
Thanks MG4MBACrystalBall. Unfortunately, my undergrad institution is not a top ranked public school, and as such does not help me much. Fortunately, my current employer is very well known in the investment management industry, particularly within the Emerging Markets space. I don't know how well the adcoms will know of my firm, but

<<snip>>

within that time) is very good as well. I have a front office role that directly generates revenue for my firm, and a proven track record of success. The only smear on my application is a 2.6 GPA from an unknown, unranked public state university.

Though a bit of culture mismatch, you will find the post here relevant for the dilemma you are facing. Additional courses help - I know its not easy, but that should not be an excuse right :) ?

Make sure you right that optional essay with right amount of finesse.

Cheers,
Intern
Intern
Send PM
pbodine wrote:
jbnewton,
Congrats for overcoming your GPA issue -- your breathtaking GMAT and your CFA will definitively bury any doubts about your ability to handle B-school and you have a strong story to tell in your optional essay regarding the GPA. You also have a fast-track career pace, a strong current extracurricular leadership role, and focused, organic goals. So I do think you will have a solid shot at all of these schools. Feel free to send me your resume if you'd like more feedback: paulsbodine@gmail.com.
--Paul Bodine, Great Applications for Business School, https://www.paulsbodine.com/outcomes

jbnewton wrote:
Hello,

I was hoping someone could take a look at my profile and give an honest opinion.

GMAT: 780
GPA: 2.6 from public university, upward trending
Major: Economics
WE: 3 years investment consulting - received 3 promotions. 2 years in a client-facing, revenue-generating role as a buy-side equity research analyst for a prominent Emerging Markets equity manager. I focus on Chinese equities as part of a 3-person team that manages over $800m in Chinese equities across four China-focused mandates - received 2 promotions at current employer for total of 5 promotions in 5 years.

27 year old white male
CFA Charterholder
HSK Level 3 Candidate (Mandarin proficiency test)

Undergraduate Extracurriculars:
Student Managed Investment Portfolio Organization
Economic Student Association
Collegiate Entrepreneurs
Delta Chi Fraternity

Post-graduate Extracurriculars:
Board Member of Non-profit that gives out scholarships to at-risk youths to attend college.
--Member of the Selection Committee for scholarships - recently awarded $250k to 30 students, out of 70 applicants.
--Co-Founder and Chair of the Student Resources Committee
Volunteer as a mentor for a young, at-risk child for a government program. We meet 10 hours per month.
Member of Toastmasters club focusing on public speaking and leadership.
CFA Society of Washington, DC

I was the first one in my family to attend college and worked full-time all four years to help pay for it. Unfortunately, two of my really close friends were killed two months apart from each other during my second year, and I fell apart emotionally, which my grades reflect. I eventually managed to pull myself together, and managed a 3.0 junior year and 3.6 senior year.

Target Schools: Columbia, NYU Stern, Dartmouth Tuck

Many former colleagues of mine, and former employees in general at my current firm, have started their own hedge funds and equity shops in New York and Hong Kong. I am hoping to leverage my experience and connections in the emerging markets equity space, along with an MBA from one of the above schools, to land a job at an Emerging Markets long/short or long-only hedge fund in New York, London or Hong Kong as a Senior Analyst/Co-Portfolio Manager. Eventually, with enough experience and connections, I'd like to start my own EM-focused long/short fund.

Thanks for the feedback, pbodine!
Send PM
Hey jbnewton,

You're very welcome! You've definitely got a chance - with stats like yours, you've earned a right to play at the table. There's no doubt about that. But take this into consideration - in a survey of the admissions directions of the top programs back in 2014 by AIGAC (an organization which certifies admissions consultants which we are members of), they asked what the top reasons were schools dinged applicants. First on the list? The GMAT. A close second? The GPA. I have absolutely NO doubt that you can crush it in excel or pull together a quant model that would make any MBA grad shiver in their boots. But the fact of the matter is that isn't what I'm concerned about here. I'm concerned about raw stats. Yeah, you'll need to pull on your experiences to show that the GPA doesn't accurately reflect your capabilities but that's a given, not an "alternate path".

As for your schedule - I get it. It'll be really hard. Most of these courses, especially UCLA Extension and the like, are online and you can run with them given a little focus and effort. Might mean a few late nights while you travel but it could be worth it. When you're talking about the top schools, the competition is stiff and it'll come down to things on the margin. An A+ or two would be pretty valuable!

So do you have a shot without this? Absolutely! Do I think you should strengthen an obvious weakness before / while you make a run for it? Yeah, I do.

Bhavik
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CriticalSquare wrote:
Hey jbnewton,

You're very welcome! You've definitely got a chance - with stats like yours, you've earned a right to play at the table. There's no doubt about that. But take this into consideration - in a survey of the admissions directions of the top programs back in 2014 by AIGAC (an organization which certifies admissions consultants which we are members of), they asked what the top reasons were schools dinged applicants. First on the list? The GMAT. A close second? The GPA. I have absolutely NO doubt that you can crush it in excel or pull together a quant model that would make any MBA grad shiver in their boots. But the fact of the matter is that isn't what I'm concerned about here. I'm concerned about raw stats. Yeah, you'll need to pull on your experiences to show that the GPA doesn't accurately reflect your capabilities but that's a given, not an "alternate path".

As for your schedule - I get it. It'll be really hard. Most of these courses, especially UCLA Extension and the like, are online and you can run with them given a little focus and effort. Might mean a few late nights while you travel but it could be worth it. When you're talking about the top schools, the competition is stiff and it'll come down to things on the margin. An A+ or two would be pretty valuable!

So do you have a shot without this? Absolutely! Do I think you should strengthen an obvious weakness before / while you make a run for it? Yeah, I do.

Bhavik

Thanks for the feedback!
Send PM
You are most welcome - best of luck buddy!

Bhavik
GMAT Club Bot