Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Jul 2014, 00:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unique Situation...Help

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Unique Situation...Help [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 15:20
I have been using this forum for a while. It's been VERY helpful, especially download materials. Thanks for everyones effort to keep the forum in the top search list.

I have a unique situations, hope i can get some help/ideas from you all. I graduated in 1991(i know it's been a long time) now I realized that MBA will play a vital role in my career path.
I have full time job and family with two kids. I started my GMAT preparation in Aug. 07 and my first attempt was on Oct. 07, got worst score(420). Basically i was trying to get into a part-time MBA program that the local university offers for working professionals. University require at least 480 and above to consider my application. I know many of the members in this forum are targeting top schools, it's not the case for me.
I am an average student with 2.97 GPA. I have been working really hard on GMAT preparations (putting 15 hrs with full time job and family), took advice from several of your posts. I am using materials OG 11. MGMAT, Princeton Review.
I took my first GMATPrep, MGAMAT tests last week, I can't seem to cross 500. very disappointed and depressed. I got my timing okay, I do better in Quant than Verbal. But i think i am missing something, may be "smart thinking skills". BTW my second GMAT schedule date is 03/29/08. it's only 2 weeks to go..Can you guys advice?
I hope to get a decent 550 and above score to get into part-time MBA. I am also looking into online MBA programs as a Plan B. Do you all have any suggestions on which online university is good?

I can't THANK enough this forum for its help and inspire so many students.

Thanks Again!!!
Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 51 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unique Situation...Help [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 15:48
My standard advice is to remain calm when you take the test. Do not put to much pressure on yourself and you should be ok. Don't worry about "failing", just do your best to succeed!

As for online schools - I personally wouldn't bother. You are paying thousands of dollars for a degree from a school that won't be well-regarded (and in only the most limited circumstances would help your career). Sure, you can learn the skills in the online courses - but you could also learn them from your local library for free. Why pay thousands for a piece of paper that people won't respect. After all, for all your employers know - you could have payed ME to take the online courses for you! An online course also would give you exactly ZERO networking. Meeting other people in your area at similar points in their career would be a GREAT advantage of the part time program!

Also - you should know I am a computer engineer, with a masters degree from university of california. I am 27 years old and work for a dot-com company. If anyone should believe in online education it should be me. But I just can't help but think they are effectively 21st century diploma mills. In a word, "worthless".

(yeah, i know Uni of Indiana - Kelley has an online program. i guess I just "threw down" at them).
Manager
Manager
Schools: Wharton, Chicago

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: Unique Situation...Help [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 16:19
Good luck on your studies, your scores will improve if you keep practicing.

I kind of disagree with westsider about the online MBA. It really depends on the individual situation whether this would be worthwhile for you to consider, and something you should talk to your prospective schools about. I think the online discussion forums are skewed towards over-achievers: see all 700+ GMAT scores and discussion about top 20 schools. There are MANY people that would benefit from business courses and a Master's degree, even if it isn't name brand, simply because their current employer will compensate them or promote them differently.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unique Situation...Help [#permalink] New post 18 Mar 2008, 20:42
I think top schools do get you better jobs to start off with. Its the experience afterwards that shapes your career. If you already have good experience with good companies then Online MBA would not be as bad. But if you really want to change your route & destination alltogether then go for the best school you can get in.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: Unique Situation...Help [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 07:31
I think, for those in their mid to late 20s looking for a fast track to top management jobs in big time firms, a major league MBA from a top school is key.

For someone who is doing well in a non-management job and wants to distinguish themselves so that they can reach for management positions, an online MBA will help. Of course, even in this case, I believe the schools reputation makes a difference.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Unique Situation...Help [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 08:10
I think the best advice for you with 2 weeks left would be to do the GmatPrep CAT exams from the mba.com website. Do them over and over until you are very comfortable solving the problems that you have gotten wrong. If you have trouble figuring out the real answers utilize this forum, it helped me tremendously. I think you will be able to raise your score enough by to get into your desired school.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: Unique Situation...Help [#permalink] New post 19 Mar 2008, 12:02
Thanks for all your advice.
asharc - do you know how many times i can take the GMATPrep test? I believe on the first install i can take 2 test, do you think i should uninstall and reinstall the software every time i take new set of tests?
I know this may have been discussed here a lot, can someone post the link.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: Unique Situation...Help [#permalink] New post 20 Mar 2008, 07:21
You can continue to retake as many times as you want. Obviously, you will get some repeats, but many new questions as well for practice. I personally don't think re-installing makes any difference, just restart the test.
Re: Unique Situation...Help   [#permalink] 20 Mar 2008, 07:21