Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Jul 2014, 20:40

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 20 Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2013, 07:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  45% (medium)

Question Stats:

45% (02:05) correct 55% (01:06) wrong based on 202 sessions
United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

[Reveal] Spoiler:
My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Narenn on 02 Nov 2013, 08:00, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Moved. Always post the topic in relevant forum
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Joined: 21 Feb 2012
Posts: 1057
Location: India
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 121

Kudos [?]: 751 [1] , given: 800

Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2013, 13:19
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
dipeshsalvi wrote:
United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe. However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years
(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did
(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States
(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe
(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited



Hi Dipesh, You did perfect job while analyzing the interrelation among the facts, but just made a subtle error at the end, while analyzing the conclusion.

I am giving below you analysis.

Fact – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.
Fact – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)
Fact – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States.

Conclusion :- If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels,-------------


We can see in the 3rd fact that Author has stated that the US Govt has taken initiative to boost up sales of solar power in the US. This clearly indicates that the demand for solar power generators is currently not high enough to accommodate the produce of US generator manufacturers. (This is what Choice E says)

Then Author has concluded that if govt's initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar power generators, US manufacturers will probably maintain significant production level. Here the author has assumed that the increased demand of solar power gensets will be fulfilled by supplies of US manufacturers. So next logical premise would eliminate the possibility of fulfillment of increased demand by sources other than US manufacturers. Choice C does that job and hence is the correct answer.

_________________

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books


Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 01 Sep 2010
Posts: 2314
Followers: 241

Kudos [?]: 2048 [1] , given: 677

Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2013, 14:13
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I'll try to help you dissecting your reasoning, maybe is useful to you and other students

you say

My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

OK

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

OK

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

After since we need an answer that strenghten the argument in this case.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Not properly true, because if you have a competitive advantage you can still maintain your market share and still have your sales constant respect your competitors

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

what is happened until now is not our concern

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

the efficiency is not our concern

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

US manufcturers want the european market but now maybe is not the same scenario as before. the US M will maintain significant production levels only and only if they have a consistent market share to sell solar power aka competitive advantage

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

we already know this from the statement


(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share


Regards

_________________

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS
Quant: 1. Bunuel Signature Collection - The Next Generation 2. Bunuel Signature Collection ALL-IN-ONE WITH SOLUTIONS 3. Veritas Prep Blog PDF Version
Verbal:1. Best EXTERNAL resources to tackle the GMAT Verbal Section 2. e-GMAT's ALL CR topics-Consolidated 3. New Critical Reasoning question bank by carcass 4. Meaning/Clarity SC Question Bank by Carcass_Souvik 5. e-GMAT's ALL SC topics-Consolidated-2nd Edition 6. The best reading to improve Reading Comprehension

TOEFL iBT
Best resources to tackle each section of the TOEFL iBT

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Dec 2012
Posts: 32
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 10:29
carcass wrote:
I'll try to help you dissecting your reasoning, maybe is useful to you and other students

you say

My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

OK

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

OK

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

After since we need an answer that strenghten the argument in this case.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Not properly true, because if you have a competitive advantage you can still maintain your market share and still have your sales constant respect your competitors

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

what is happened until now is not our concern

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

the efficiency is not our concern

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

US manufcturers want the european market but now maybe is not the same scenario as before. the US M will maintain significant production levels only and only if they have a consistent market share to sell solar power aka competitive advantage

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

we already know this from the statement


(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share


Regards


Not convinced with ur explanation. Do you have any other reason in support of ur answer??
VP
VP
avatar
Status: Final Lap Up!!!
Affiliations: NYK Line
Joined: 21 Sep 2012
Posts: 1095
Location: India
GMAT 1: 410 Q35 V11
GMAT 2: 530 Q44 V20
GMAT 3: 630 Q45 V31
GPA: 3.84
WE: Engineering (Transportation)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 242 [0], given: 67

Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 11:55
tusharGupta1 wrote:
carcass wrote:
I'll try to help you dissecting your reasoning, maybe is useful to you and other students

you say

My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

OK

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

OK

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

After since we need an answer that strenghten the argument in this case.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Not properly true, because if you have a competitive advantage you can still maintain your market share and still have your sales constant respect your competitors

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

what is happened until now is not our concern

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

the efficiency is not our concern

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

US manufcturers want the european market but now maybe is not the same scenario as before. the US M will maintain significant production levels only and only if they have a consistent market share to sell solar power aka competitive advantage

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

we already know this from the statement


(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share


Regards


Not convinced with ur explanation. Do you have any other reason in support of ur answer??

Dear Tushar
Will be happy if my post helps you!!!

Think from the point of view that incase the USA consumers start aligning themselves to the European models. In that case incresed production of USA companies will fail in getting a client.
So Option C is a full proof answer to the question at hand.

Archit

Hit kudos if my post helps!!!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 24 Dec 2012
Posts: 32
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
WE: Design (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 51

CAT Tests
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 26 Apr 2014, 12:21
Archit143 wrote:
tusharGupta1 wrote:
carcass wrote:
I'll try to help you dissecting your reasoning, maybe is useful to you and other students

you say

My Analysis:

Info – 1: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the world's solar-power generators--most of which are exported to Europe.

OK

Info – 2: However, European manufacturers are emerging and probably will ultimately capture much of the European market. (Assumption – It will reduce the US exports to Europe)

OK

Info – 3: The United States government is funding initiatives intended to encourage use of solar power within the United States. If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

After since we need an answer that strenghten the argument in this case.

Analysis: Blank space is preceded by since which is the premise indicator, hence we should identify the premise that support the argument conclusion that “United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels”.

Pre-think of answer: There is scope for increase in sales in US market.

Not properly true, because if you have a competitive advantage you can still maintain your market share and still have your sales constant respect your competitors

Hence I selected answer choice E as it says the current market is limited and with US govt. initiatives it will increase.

But the correct answer choice is C and I am not able to identify the reason for the same.

Please explain what I am missing in my approach.


Which of the following most logically completes the argument?

(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years

what is happened until now is not our concern

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did

the efficiency is not our concern

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States

US manufcturers want the european market but now maybe is not the same scenario as before. the US M will maintain significant production levels only and only if they have a consistent market share to sell solar power aka competitive advantage

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe

we already know this from the statement


(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited

we have NOT enough information to say this. where did you see this or infer from the stimulus ?? nowhere. moreover, we are talking about the current market BUT we are concerned about the FUTURE market share


Regards


Not convinced with ur explanation. Do you have any other reason in support of ur answer??

Dear Tushar
Will be happy if my post helps you!!!

Think from the point of view that incase the USA consumers start aligning themselves to the European models. In that case incresed production of USA companies will fail in getting a client.
So Option C is a full proof answer to the question at hand.

Archit

Hit kudos if my post helps!!!


Hi Archit
I was rooting for e , however e talks about current scenario. It does not fit well. Then C is the obvious choice but the explanations in support of C is not convincing.
Anyways C is the answer, no other options fits well.
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 24 Aug 2011
Posts: 572
Location: India
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V34
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 2.9
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 325 [1] , given: 294

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 04 Jun 2014, 09:33
1
This post received
KUDOS
Bumping this question, any comments on why E is not the answer.
What I can think of is that E is implicitly stated in the premise, hence should not be considered.

But still, I am not pretty convinced

_________________

Just move your mouse to the left side pane and click on the kudos button if i helped you in any way :)
ISB Class of 2016 | Chat Session with ISB ADCOM | How to get started with Essays | GMAT Retake Debrief
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
ISB Class of 2015 | My GMAT Debrief | My ISB Interview | General interview tips | How to tackle "Do you have anything to ask" question | Important links by the ISB ADCOM for applications and interview preparation

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 883
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 158 [0], given: 297

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 23 Jun 2014, 22:03
If these initiatives succeed in increasing the demand for solar-power generators in the United States, United States manufacturers will probably maintain significant production levels, since __________.

If X, then Y since Z

But we have already stated (E) in X so why would we need (E) again in Z, we need something else to fill Z to support the US M.

(C) does that

_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2014
Posts: 29
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

CAT Tests
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2014, 12:36
US Mfgs produce most of the solar power generators and most of them are exported to Europe
European mfgs are coming up and will capture much of the european market.

US Govt is trying to increase demand for solar power generators in US.
Conclusion - US MFGs might be able to maintain prod levels if demand increases in US

Correct answer choice should explain what happens when the demand increases.
Will the demand be fulfilled by US MFGs - maintain productivity
or
Will the demand be fulfilled by European MFGs - US MFGs cannot maintain productivity even when the demand increases


(A) some United States manufacturers have been substantially increasing their output over the last several years - Incorrect. Does not explain what happens when the demand increases.

(B) the efficiency of solar-power generators in converting energy from the Sun into electric power is not improving as fast as it once did - Incorrect. we are not concerned about technology

(C) just as European manufacturers enjoy certain competitive advantages in Europe, so do United States manufacturers in the United States - Correct. Explains why US MFGs will be able to maintain prod level when the demand increases.

(D) European governments are currently undertaking initiatives to stimulate the use of solar power within Europe - Incorrect. does not answer what will happen in US?

(E) the current market for solar-power generators in the United States is very limited - Incorrect. So what ? This does not explain what will happen when the demand increases. Even if the current market is limited and the demand increases, we don't know for sure whether US MFGs will be able to sell their products. This is irrelevant.
Re: United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo   [#permalink] 10 Jul 2014, 12:36
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Sales of United States manufactured goods to bmwhype2 4 15 Jul 2007, 14:05
Sales of United States manufactured goods to nitinneha 2 11 Apr 2007, 15:22
Sales of United States manufactured goods to binho12 4 09 Oct 2006, 05:04
Sales of United States manufactured goods to banerjeea_98 12 10 Mar 2005, 08:45
Sales of United States manufactured goods to nzgmat 2 24 Oct 2004, 16:13
Display posts from previous: Sort by

United States manufacturers currently produce most of the wo

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


cron

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.