Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 13 Jul 2014, 21:29

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

University of Oregon

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

University of Oregon [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2007, 10:50
hi, i know U. Oregon is not a school people on here look at, but i was wondering if anyone know someone that went there or any news of the school would be appreciated

also, if you could compare with the Pepperdine U. in LA, which one is more well known amongst recruiters in california? and nationally? and are these 2 schools at the same level?

thanks for your help
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 163 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: University of Oregon [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2007, 16:17
ForumJP wrote:
hi, i know U. Oregon is not a school people on here look at, but i was wondering if anyone know someone that went there or any news of the school would be appreciated

also, if you could compare with the Pepperdine U. in LA, which one is more well known amongst recruiters in california? and nationally? and are these 2 schools at the same level?

thanks for your help

ForumJP,

Neither school has much of a presence in the rankings to speak of and neither is a national school. Both place a large (33-43% by job function, 22-23% by industry) percentage of their classes in finance, but Pepperdine bests Oregon in terms of average salary by more than $10K. Both schools can claim that major national companies are among their top recruiters, but clearly, Pepperdine is the better school if your goal is a job in California.

Good luck,

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Follow Paul Bodine on Twitter

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2007, 21:26
hi pbodine,

thanks for your reply. i was a bit hesistant on posting because probably not a lot of people knows much about the schools.

yeah, i guess both schools probably aren't heard of at other parts of country.

how about the programs itself, do you know which schools have better focus for MC ? IB ?

once again, thanks for your help
VP
VP
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 182 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Apr 2007, 23:08
ForumJP wrote:
hi pbodine,

thanks for your reply. i was a bit hesistant on posting because probably not a lot of people knows much about the schools.

how about the programs itself, do you know which schools have better focus for MC ? IB ?

Sorry to step in, but for MC or IB I think you should target top 15 schools. Unless you want to get a junior level instead of the typical post MBA associate level. And even so, I doubt any school outside top 15 - 20 or some specialized schools in the top 30 - 40 will make the trick.

Cheers. L.
BSchool Thread Master
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 44 [0], given: 123

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 08:15
Cool.
I was thinking of these schools.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 13:17
lepium wrote:
ForumJP wrote:
hi pbodine,

Sorry to step in, but for MC or IB I think you should target top 15 schools. Unless you want to get a junior level instead of the typical post MBA associate level. And even so, I doubt any school outside top 15 - 20 or some specialized schools in the top 30 - 40 will make the trick.

Cheers. L.

thanks,
yeah, i am not too sure i can get a higher level job right out since i have no prior experience.
would it be hard to work my way up from junior level though? i am planning to work hard post mba and hopefully to rise up in the corp.

thanks for your input, greatly appreciated
VP
VP
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 13:24
lepium wrote:
ForumJP wrote:
hi pbodine,

Cheers. L.

I agree with Lepium -> It might be difficult to get into IB/MC after Oregon.

Oregon surely has grads working for large MNCs, but most likely these jobs are regular Project Management level jobs vs IB/MC. I know a girl in my company (HP) attending Oregon. She likes the program, but she is interested in just moving from engineering to Project Management.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 19 Apr 2007, 14:19
sm176811 wrote:
lepium wrote:
ForumJP wrote:
hi pbodine,

Cheers. L.

Oregon surely has grads working for large MNCs, but most likely these jobs are regular Project Management level jobs vs IB/MC. I know a girl in my company (HP) attending Oregon. She likes the program, but she is interested in just moving from engineering to Project Management.

do you know if she had the management position right out of MBA? or did she had prior experience?

also, would pepperdine be the better choice (if only slightly) for mc and ib then?

thanks
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 11:30
ForumJP wrote:
sm176811 wrote:
lepium wrote:
ForumJP wrote:
hi pbodine,

Cheers. L.

do you know if she had the management position right out of MBA? or did she had prior experience?

also, would pepperdine be the better choice (if only slightly) for mc and ib then?

thanks

ForumJP,

For the record, Oregon claims to place "0%" of its MBA class in consulting and 23% in financial services. Pepperdine states 12% to consulting and 22% to financial services. Among its top 10 recruiters are Boston Consulting Group (1 hire) and Arthur Consulting (1 hire). I see no IBs.

Paul Bodine /
Author, Great Applications for Business School and Perfect Phrases for Business School Acceptance

Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 20 Apr 2007, 12:17
thanks for your information pbodine

do you know what are the most common jobs in financial services?

i would assume IB is within the type correct?

thanks
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Apr 2007, 13:38
ForumJP wrote:
thanks for your information pbodine

do you know what are the most common jobs in financial services?

i would assume IB is within the type correct?

thanks

ForumJP,

Yes, IB is included within "financial services" but that also encompasses the gamut of the banking, investing, and financial-related industries.

Paul Bodine /