Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Aug 2014, 06:21

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

University of Rochester (Simon)

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
CEO
CEO
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 428 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
University of Rochester (Simon) [#permalink] New post 14 Dec 2004, 19:46
The University of Rochester is located in Rochester, New York. Rochester offers one of the finest academic programs in finance and accounting the United States. It is easily the equal of most of the elite schools in these fields and has trained many of the professors at the elite/ultra elite schools. It has an impressive list of recruiters including some of the best recognized firms such as GS, ML, LB, and JPM.

Rochester, New York is the 50th largest economic area in the US. Nearby Buffalo is the 53rd largest economic area.

However, Rochester seems to suffer from some employment issues. The percentage employed at graduation has generally been unimpressive even when the economy is booming. Nonetheless, impressive jobs appear to be available to high performers.

Rochester has long seemed to be on the verge of breaking out into the higher clusters but for a variety of reasons has yet to do so. For those students looking for an outstanding academic school at a relatively cheap "admissions price" Rochester remains an excellent opportunity.

Note that Rochester admits students for both September and January.

Academic Year: Quarter

The first quarter is prescribed.
Electives begin in the second quarter.

There are 14 concentrations available including Corporate Accounting and Finance.

"Finance (FIN)
(5 courses)
The Simon School is best known for its research and scholarship in the area of finance. This concentration provides students with state-of-the-art techniques for financial analysis. Students learn to formulate and solve important corporate-finance problems and to obtain information from the many databases on financial markets."

Last edited by Hjort on 28 Apr 2005, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Dec 2004, 13:42
once again another pretty informative review, thanx hjort.
i got their brochure and app in the mail a few weeks ago , didnt have time to open it , read some today - man, this school is impressive. i was surprised that it wasnt ranked in the top 10. a few months ago i didnt even know about this school, but i did some reasearch and i am seriously thinking about applying there. this reveiw will be a great tool for anyone considering applying to rochester.

and finally some trivia - rochester, ny is the home of 2 of the oldest american blue-chip companies - eastman kodak and xerox. :)
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

I am applying the Simon School of Business [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2005, 00:58
The Simon School of Business is incredibly strong in these areas. The relatively new Dean, Mark Zupan, is really making plans for this school. It has an impressive research (or intellectual capital) score from BusinessWeek - 18.

The Simon school also ranks quite high on the international rankings like the Financial Times of London, so if you want to go international finance this is the way to go.

Dean Zupan is also increasing the value of the alumni networks.

From what I was told by a recruiter the COL is also fairly low compared to New York City.

If you are interested in Finance this is the way to go.

I am applying in this January for next year.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2005, 15:06
FT 2005 ranks Rochester #27 worldwide just below UCLA and Cornell and higher than Carnegie Mellon and USC. FT 2001 ranked Rochester #29 above USC (Marshall) and Oxford.

EIU 2004 places Rochester #61 worldwide- near Cambridge, Wake Forest, and Manchester. EIU 2003 placed Rochester #46 worldwide- above Purdue and Indiana.

BW 1996 ranked Rochester just above Yale and just below Texas-Austin. BW 1988 ranked Rochester just below Yale but (implicitly) above USC and Texas-Austin. BW 1990 ranked Rochester just below UC Berkeley and Texas-Austin. BW 2000 ranked Rochester just below Yale and Indiana and above USC and Emory.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 Feb 2005, 10:51
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2005, 16:55
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 18 Feb 2005, 19:38
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2005, 15:30
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2005, 13:56
Employment

BW04 lists Rochester as having 71% employment at graduation- higher than many Near Elite/Trans Elites including Texas, UNC, USC, Vanderbilt, Maryland, Notre Dame, and Washington Olin. This is also better than UVA, tied with Cornell, and just below Yale.

BW02 lists Rochester as having 59% employment at grad- this was a less impressive showing than two year later but still better than Vanderbilt, Georgetown, and Washington Olin and just behind USC and Emory.

FT05 lists employment at 3 months of 89%. This employment value exceeds that of many of the Near Elite/Trans Elite/Elite schools including Cornell, USC, Vanderbilt, Georgetown, Texas, Notre Dame, and Michigan.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Apr 2005, 06:47
Value Considerations

ETO: 99k

http://www.simon.rochester.edu/programs ... #financial

FT2005 Value For Money: #83, better than Georgetown, but outranked by most of the Near Elites
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 04:48
Hi,

Can anyone, here, inform me about the winter and spring session of Simon school of business, Rochester university? I am especially concerned with the job opportunities as I have read simon doesn't provide internship during those sessions.

One more thing, how the programme at york university, canada is??
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Aug 2005, 10:28
As I recall, Rochester admits students FT students for the Fall and Winter (January) only. I believe that it is still possible to have an internship in the summer if a student is willing to take a heavier courseload in the other quarters (January admits have six potential quarters to complete work Winter1, Spring1, Summer, Fall2, Winter2, and Spring2).

For info on York please see the following:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13628
Intern
Intern

Hi [#permalink] New post 11 Jan 2007, 12:09
Hjort wrote:
As I recall, Rochester admits students FT students for the Fall and Winter (January) only. I believe that it is still possible to have an internship in the summer if a student is willing to take a heavier courseload in the other quarters (January admits have six potential quarters to complete work Winter1, Spring1, Summer, Fall2, Winter2, and Spring2).

For info on York please see the following:
http://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=13628

Hi,
I have applied to simon...got my interview scheduled on 21st jan...i have recently come to know tht rochester is one of the USA's maximum crime rate city? ne thoughts on same...

thanks
hellojp
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Jan 2007, 19:42
The city of Rochester has a relatively high crime rate but then again many major universities are located near high crime cities.

For example, East Palo Alto (CA) is located just a few miles from Stanford and has a murder rate almost double that of Rochester.

Washington DC, home of Georgetown, has a murder rate about 50% higher than that of Rochester and an aggravated assault rate about twice as high.

Philadelphia of Wharton fame has a higher crime rate than Rochester, NY for most forms of violent crime (including a slightly higher murder rate, and higher rates for rape, robbery and assault).

Washington University is located in what is perhaps the highest crime major city in the US, with a murder rate about 50% higher and an aggravated assault rate close to 4 times as great as that of Rochester.

Oakland borders Berkeley, CA and has a slightly lower murder rate than Rochester but a forcible rape and aggravated asslt rate more than 50% higher.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 14:40
Hjort wrote:
The city of Rochester has a relatively high crime rate but then again many major universities are located near high crime cities.

For example, East Palo Alto (CA) is located just a few miles from Stanford and has a murder rate almost double that of Rochester.

Washington DC, home of Georgetown, has a murder rate about 50% higher than that of Rochester and an aggravated assault rate about twice as high.

Philadelphia of Wharton fame has a higher crime rate than Rochester, NY for most forms of violent crime (including a slightly higher murder rate, and higher rates for rape, robbery and assault).

Washington University is located in what is perhaps the highest crime major city in the US, with a murder rate about 50% higher and an aggravated assault rate close to 4 times as great as that of Rochester.

Oakland borders Berkeley, CA and has a slightly lower murder rate than Rochester but a forcible rape and aggravated asslt rate more than 50% higher.

Hjort,

Do you know what is Simon's specialities? I heard it is a good school for finance/accounting, but am not sure.
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Jan 2007, 21:18
Yes, it is particularly well known for finance, accounting, and economics.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 07 Mar 2007, 11:15
Hi Hjort

I just recently got admitted to Simon FT for fall 2007 with a partial scholarship. I am currently waiting on UCI FT, USC part time and UT Austin FT. I plan to work in California after my MBA .. what are the job prospects like for Simon outside the NY area? Also I am not particularly looking at Finance or Accounting, but rather general management and perhaps consulting. How does Simon measure up in these disciplines?

I appreciate any insight.. thank you in advance!
CEO
CEO

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Mar 2007, 16:43
The best source of information would be to contact Career Services at Simon to see what type of placement and alumni network they have in these fields in the Western US. GM/Consulting and California do not really play to Rochester's generally regarded strength of Fin/Acctg and the US Northeast.
Intern
Intern

Massive change in recruiting practices from 2005 to 2006? [#permalink] New post 23 May 2007, 09:08
Here's something I do not understand.

For their class of 2005, 23.5%-25.5% of students went into Investment Banking.
http://www.simon.rochester.edu/pdf/placementstat05.pdf

For their class of 2006, 5.9%-6.9% went into Investment Banking.
http://www.simon.rochester.edu/pdf/placementstat06.pdf

How do you explain the massive drop in a single year? Management and Marketing had exactly the same percentages but everything else seems remarkably different...
Director
Director
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 36 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2007, 12:40
  [#permalink] 14 Jun 2007, 12:40