Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Aug 2014, 17:46

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Manager
Manager
Schools: Delhi University
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 23:32
Stacey wrote:
TomasRotmos wrote:

Yeah, I've seen that. What I was wondering is whether I need to take a certain amount of courses in my MBF-degree (besides the compulsory courses) the first year or if I can push them one semester ahead if I need to.

I havent gotten my physical admission letter yet but got an email today with all the information.

I actually look forward to the 10 days of german before the real semester starts (and the real german course). I guess I'll see you guys there.

Oh, then I'm sorry, I don't know much about their requirments either.

And the email? how long did it take? I need it for Visa and I have to apply asap.
I called to the office and they told me do not expect physical letter at all, in my case it will be only an email.

And yep, German sounds pretty exciting:)

I think in order to apply for a Visa, one needs to have an official admission letter (I'm not sure whether an admission notification through e-mail would be considered by the embassy). HSG admissions has requested me to wait for some time for the admission letter.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 12 May 2012, 23:49
ronnie987 wrote:
I think in order to apply for a Visa, one needs to have an official admission letter (I'm not sure whether an admission notification through e-mail would be considered by the embassy). HSG admissions has requested me to wait for some time for the admission letter.

in my case, email is the only option (12 weeks for visa, no way I'm getting physical letter earlier than in the end of june). They always can confirm with uni, hopefully...
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 13

GMAT Tests User
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 00:42
@ronnie - The Swiss embassy in Delhi will accept the printout of the letter in the email, however they will ask for an email from the university (you'll have to request mbf admissions to send and email to the Swiss embassy) confirming your admission.

Also, from what I know, one can not apply for a visa more than 3 months before the day of arrival in Switzerland. So unless one wants to be in St. Gallen before September, I think there's enough time to apply for the visa.

Cheers!
Pradeep
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 00:48
Another thing, not sure if you already know about it, I didn't and it cost me year!! so thought will share with you anyway: You need to show at least CHF 24,000 in your bank account and the bank should have at least one branch in Switzerland.

I fu#@!d up there last year and was denied visa and didn't enough time to re-apply!! Anyway, I hope nobody else goes through that, so for those who need a visa, wish you luck :)

Pradeep
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 02:05
pradeepskunwar wrote:
Another thing, not sure if you already know about it, I didn't and it cost me year!! so thought will share with you anyway: You need to show at least CHF 24,000 in your bank account and the bank should have at least one branch in Switzerland.

I fu#@!d up there last year and was denied visa and didn't enough time to re-apply!! Anyway, I hope nobody else goes through that, so for those who need a visa, wish you luck :)

Pradeep

wow, thanks! that's pretty valuable information!
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 16:12
pradeepskunwar wrote:

Pradeep

Does the 24.000CHF apply to students from within EU aswell?
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 13 May 2012, 20:44
@TomasRotmos - the condition is applicable only to those students who need a visa (so I don't think EU citizens need it). Here's the link which specifies the condition: http://www.unisg.ch/en/Studium/Zulassun ... vices.aspx

Pradeep
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 10:59
Hi guys,

I am Greg from Hungary. I got my official letter in email today. (GMAT 720, GPA 4,2/5, 1 year full-time work in portfolio management)

Did everyone get the same letter when it comes to supplementary work? This is what I got:
Supplementary Work for Master´s Programmes in Business Administration ECTS
Credits
Compulsory Programme 20.00
Research Methods 6.00
Finance 6.00
Macroeconomics II 4.00
Business Law 4.00
Evidence of linguistic proficiency
Foreign Language Level I
Total number of credits to be earned 20.00

I took all these classes 1-2 years ago with the exact same name at our university, so thats why I am curious...

Other than that, EU residents do not need a VISA for basic requirements for VISA/permits check out this page:
www(dot)swissinfo(dot)ch/eng/Specials/Switzerland:_How_to/Education/Permits_and_visas.html?cid=29285514
Under EU it says that we only need to get a residence permit, for which we need to prove that we have the funding (it may be the 24k swissy!) the life insurance, and the offer from a university.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 11:06
hey guys, did you receive this letter by mail or email? I did not receive anything. It's just the status saying "zugelassen (mit vorbehalt)" when I login to my account. They said I have to submit 2 more things, but when do I get the letter specifying on which courses I still need to take. How do you submit a "Anrechnungsgesuch" ? What is that?
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 11:15
jaffnakid wrote:
hey guys, did you receive this letter by mail or email? I did not receive anything. It's just the status saying "zugelassen (mit vorbehalt)" when I login to my account. They said I have to submit 2 more things, but when do I get the letter specifying on which courses I still need to take. How do you submit a "Anrechnungsgesuch" ? What is that?

Email in the morning today. Dont worry, I dont think you have to do anything at the moment...
You have recieved the following email right?

"We are delighted to inform you that you have been admitted to the Master in Banking and Finance at the University of St.Gallen.
The official admission letter will be send within the next days."
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 14 May 2012, 14:25
Hey Guys. New to the forum. Just got my confirmation a few days back. Got the letter saying I gotta take some credit courses as well, something I see a few of us have to take. Plus the german class as well. Seems like I gotta show up 10 days early for the course. Any ways justed wanted to say Hi before I see u all later
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 9

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 00:00
Geri00 wrote:
jaffnakid wrote:

Email in the morning today. Dont worry, I dont think you have to do anything at the moment...
You have recieved the following email right?

"We are delighted to inform you that you have been admitted to the Master in Banking and Finance at the University of St.Gallen.
The official admission letter will be send within the next days."

Hehe actually no, that is why i am worried. It just says "zugelassen mit vorbehalt" and that a few documents are missing that need to be submitted by xy. I don't understand the purpose of "Anrechnungsgesuch". I will call them and find out -.-
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 00:15
jaffnakid wrote:

Hey, it's the same with me.

No worries, there is no need to submit this crediting application. I think, they just have a system trouble cuz it also shows I should provide evidence of C1 proficiency in German.
Just wait a bit, I'm sure we'll get one soon (though only via email, they don't send physical letters, as they told me in the office).
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 00:25
Geri00 wrote:
Hi guys,

I am Greg from Hungary. I got my official letter in email today. (GMAT 720, GPA 4,2/5, 1 year full-time work in portfolio management)

Did everyone get the same letter when it comes to supplementary work? This is what I got:
Credits
Research Methods 6.00
Finance 6.00
Macroeconomics II 4.00
Business Law 4.00
Foreign Language Level I

I took all these classes 1-2 years ago with the exact same name at our university, so thats why I am curious...

Yeah, that's pretty much, but if you have programme description and you can provide evidence that you know those subjects, just drop an email to admission office. I'm sure,they may reconsider you supplementary courses...
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 02:02
If you haven't received the letter yet, you can ask for a scanned copy through email..Just done it, and I found out I have no extra courses to attend, luckily!

And they do send you an hard copy through post, they wrote it in the email I received..
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 15 May 2012, 12:17
So did any one actually receive a physical mail containing a letter of confirmation yet? I got the e-mail and then a general mail regarding what to expact at Gallen, housing, getting to the university, etc. They said they'd send it, but it's been almost 2 weeks.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 22:35
IceColdVendetta wrote:
So did any one actually receive a physical mail containing a letter of confirmation yet? I got the e-mail and then a general mail regarding what to expact at Gallen, housing, getting to the university, etc. They said they'd send it, but it's been almost 2 weeks.

@IceColdVendetta - I received the physical copy of the letter in about 3 1/2 weeks after my status changed to admitted on the service portal, so I guess you'll receive it in the coming week.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 16 May 2012, 22:54
Hey guys!!

I just wanted to know if anybody is interested in looking for a house together. Stacey (on the forum) thinks that it's easier (and cheaper) to rent an apartment with 3-4 rooms than finding a room in an apartment. Last year, before I was denied visa, I tried to find a room on my own but I could not find one. So I think it makes a lot of sense to find a house together.

@Stacey - Please add if you have additional comments/thoughts.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone :)

Pradeep
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 00:47
Stacey wrote:
Geri00 wrote:
Hi guys,

Credits
Research Methods 6.00
Finance 6.00
Macroeconomics II 4.00
Business Law 4.00
Foreign Language Level I

Yeah, that's pretty much, but if you have programme description and you can provide evidence that you know those subjects, just drop an email to admission office. I'm sure,they may reconsider you supplementary courses...

Hi guys,

I'm also Greg from Hungary and I'm also joining MBF this fall with the same supplementary courses.
Intern
Intern

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake [#permalink] New post 17 May 2012, 03:46
pradeepskunwar wrote:
Hey guys!!

I just wanted to know if anybody is interested in looking for a house together. Stacey (on the forum) thinks that it's easier (and cheaper) to rent an apartment with 3-4 rooms than finding a room in an apartment. Last year, before I was denied visa, I tried to find a room on my own but I could not find one. So I think it makes a lot of sense to find a house together.

@Stacey - Please add if you have additional comments/thoughts.

Looking forward to hearing from everyone :)

Pradeep

Yeah, that's pretty difficult to find anything now (way in advance) and reasonably priced, so finding a big apartment is the best option. Also it would be an advantage for some to live in English speaking environment (I mean, back to Austria, talk only German outside of Uni was pretty difficult for me). So I'm in for this!!

Cheers,

Stacey
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake   [#permalink] 17 May 2012, 03:46