Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Oct 2014, 11:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 14:39
mooncakes wrote:
Regarding SSE/Bocc., I'm not familiar with their placement but I'd imagine if you want to find a job after them you'd need to learn the respective languages in each region. As for HEC, I'm actually talking to another guy there on a different thread in the MSc. Management sub-forums and he highlights that knowing French is essential for breaking into consulting in France. So here's the question I'm curious about: how much effort did you put into learning German?

Given I'm category six, I'll probably dodge this bullet anyways and get a name-brand that'll be recognized overseas if I'm forced to return home. I will say that I did message St. Gallan regarding their placement for non-EU citizens from North America and they didn't really have any statistics. They emphasized knowledge of French or German, however.


Ok Mooncakes straight answers :

how much effort did you put into learning German?
ans - I am at B1 according to CEF ..people who have done this would know that it is tremendous amount of hardwork indeed.
on paper need B2 at least . In reality must know the culture, be able to elevator pitch, etc...can never beat a native speaker even if effort -> 00

I am glad you did your research and called up career services unlike me. This means I won!!! 8-)
(not to take it away from you but career services is facing the heat from current students as well. :twisted: )

-Snowden
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 02 Dec 2013, 15:34
Interesting thread Snowden, nice to know your opinions :)

I'm a British student and I'm considering applying to St.Gallen as one of my choices. If i had business level of German what do you think my chances of landing a job in Zurich would be? Is it that the companies in Switzerland are more biased to hiring native speakers? Do you think this degree holds any weight in London at all?

Infact i'm interested to know how many UK students or American students have you met while at St.Gallen?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2013
Posts: 12
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
GPA: 3.38
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 00:10
thanks for the input :)
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 30 Nov 2013
Posts: 41
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 1

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 00:39
snowden wrote:
mooncakes wrote:
Regarding SSE/Bocc., I'm not familiar with their placement but I'd imagine if you want to find a job after them you'd need to learn the respective languages in each region. As for HEC, I'm actually talking to another guy there on a different thread in the MSc. Management sub-forums and he highlights that knowing French is essential for breaking into consulting in France. So here's the question I'm curious about: how much effort did you put into learning German?

Given I'm category six, I'll probably dodge this bullet anyways and get a name-brand that'll be recognized overseas if I'm forced to return home. I will say that I did message St. Gallan regarding their placement for non-EU citizens from North America and they didn't really have any statistics. They emphasized knowledge of French or German, however.


Ok Mooncakes straight answers :

how much effort did you put into learning German?
ans - I am at B1 according to CEF ..people who have done this would know that it is tremendous amount of hardwork indeed.
on paper need B2 at least . In reality must know the culture, be able to elevator pitch, etc...can never beat a native speaker even if effort -> 00

I am glad you did your research and called up career services unlike me. This means I won!!! 8-)
(not to take it away from you but career services is facing the heat from current students as well. :twisted: )

-Snowden


Fair enough. B2 is indeed difficult to achieve in the given amount of time, but in reality it sounds like you actually need a C1 comprehension of the language. Is your impression of the Strategy & International Management program the same? That class is supposedly 92% international, but I can't find any statistics between German-speakers vs. non-German speakers.
_________________

GMAT Prep 1 - November 25, 2013: 44 Q, 45 V, 720
GMAT Prep 2 - March 16, 2014: 47 Q, 42 V, 720

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2013
Posts: 8
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 04:10
Snowden -

As an individual who falls into category 5/6 (currently a category 6 US citizen but am marrying a EU national soon so will technically be 5 by next year), I found your post highly insightful and useful. I will no longer be considering St. Gallen for their MBF or SIM programs; I am currently graduated and have been gaining internship/WE while applying for EU programs (matriculation Fall 2014).

I believe it would be much better for someone in my position to focus on schools like HEC Paris, IE, ESADE, Bocconi, and Warwick... and upon choosing one of those schools, I will heavily study the country's respective language (luckily, French, Spanish and Italian are way easier than German) until September in order to maximize my chances of attaining employment upon graduation. Especially considering the wide geographical disbursement of career placements at the aforementioned schools (with the exception of Warwick, perhaps) it seems that you are completely correct in your assertions about St. Gallen's limited prospects for non-Swiss, non-German speaking graduates.

Do you believe my strategy above is founded in reliable logic? Likewise, I find it interesting how small the percentage of St. Gallen graduates are able to find employment in places like the UK, where other schools like Bocconi/IE/ESADE place so heavily there. What do you believe is the cause of this?
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 02 Dec 2013
Posts: 2
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 04:51
madman91 wrote:
Snowden -

As an individual who falls into category 5/6 (currently a category 6 US citizen but am marrying a EU national soon so will technically be 5 by next year), I found your post highly insightful and useful. I will no longer be considering St. Gallen for their MBF or SIM programs; I am currently graduated and have been gaining internship/WE while applying for EU programs (matriculation Fall 2014).

I believe it would be much better for someone in my position to focus on schools like HEC Paris, IE, ESADE, Bocconi, and Warwick... and upon choosing one of those schools, I will heavily study the country's respective language (luckily, French, Spanish and Italian are way easier than German) until September in order to maximize my chances of attaining employment upon graduation. Especially considering the wide geographical disbursement of career placements at the aforementioned schools (with the exception of Warwick, perhaps) it seems that you are completely correct in your assertions about St. Gallen's limited prospects for non-Swiss, non-German speaking graduates.

Do you believe my strategy above is founded in reliable logic? Likewise, I find it interesting how small the percentage of St. Gallen graduates are able to find employment in places like the UK, where other schools like Bocconi/IE/ESADE place so heavily there. What do you believe is the cause of this?


One would assume its because the labour market in Germany & Switzerland is big enough to absorb the majority of St. Gallen graduates and also the fact that most of the students who go to those schools are "more" international and likely speak English better than they speak French/Spanish etc.

I think your ideas are logical, but if your interested in working in the UK, you should look at some London university's such as LSE or Imperial (did my undergrad there, great uni).

I'm still considering St.Gallen as one of my strong options as i have friends from Britain that have done very well in Zurich, but i'm still interested in what Snowden says about native English speakers and St.Gallen
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 14:34
madman91 wrote:
Snowden -

As an individual who falls into category 5/6 (currently a category 6 US citizen but am marrying a EU national soon so will technically be 5 by next year), I found your post highly insightful and useful. I will no longer be considering St. Gallen for their MBF or SIM programs; I am currently graduated and have been gaining internship/WE while applying for EU programs (matriculation Fall 2014).

I believe it would be much better for someone in my position to focus on schools like HEC Paris, IE, ESADE, Bocconi, and Warwick... and upon choosing one of those schools, I will heavily study the country's respective language (luckily, French, Spanish and Italian are way easier than German) until September in order to maximize my chances of attaining employment upon graduation. Especially considering the wide geographical disbursement of career placements at the aforementioned schools (with the exception of Warwick, perhaps) it seems that you are completely correct in your assertions about St. Gallen's limited prospects for non-Swiss, non-German speaking graduates.

Do you believe my strategy above is founded in reliable logic? Likewise, I find it interesting how small the percentage of St. Gallen graduates are able to find employment in places like the UK, where other schools like Bocconi/IE/ESADE place so heavily there. What do you believe is the cause of this?


Hi madman91,
your question is difficult to answer. there are too many facets to it. The few pointers i can give are:
1] no placements/offers in the usa for HSG grads. So if you are planning to go back to usa in the short term you can rule it out but this is valid assuming you get an offer in the first place

2] Brand value and recognition in the Anglican world wise HEC, IE, Bocconi are way bigger brands. But I dont know the current situation and market dynamics. Please check with the respective alums,current students etc.

3] Marrying a EU citizen might change a few things but i am not sure if you are marrying a swiss person. because marrying a swiss citizen does not imply citizenship (please read my post on this thread about work visa in switzerland). Post marriage one is given a temp visa for 5 years and further citizenship is obtained after about 5 years of marriage iff the couple is still together.

Sorry could be of little help to you on this.

-Snowden
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 03 Dec 2013, 14:48
assange wrote:
Interesting thread Snowden, nice to know your opinions :)

I'm a British student and I'm considering applying to St.Gallen as one of my choices. If i had business level of German what do you think my chances of landing a job in Zurich would be? Is it that the companies in Switzerland are more biased to hiring native speakers? Do you think this degree holds any weight in London at all?

Infact i'm interested to know how many UK students or American students have you met while at St.Gallen?


Hi assange,

First, HSG is cheaper than most UK universities.
Second doesnt matter if you have business german, if you are a UK citizen, its most likely you would be working for a swiss.german bank/company in London. Infact you might be flown in to the London assessment center. ( it has happened here before :-D )

You are right about the bias, but swiss bigggies (read CS and UBS) have their international desks in London. So getting somebody with permission to work in the UK for free is an in the money call option offered free :idea: they will pick you for London, Zurich?? I doubt. They wouldnt do it for the same reasons that worked for you in UK case work against you in Zurich. But then this is purely my opinion, reality might be different(your profile might be just killer :shock: ).

remember London offices dont visit the campus directly (only exception is rothschild london)its the swiss office that may fwd your resume if seen to fit their requirement. Clout of HSG in London compared to other UK unis? i wont bet on HSG.

Finally, the facts. hardly any UK student at HSG. Not even exchange students. I have met only 1 english student full-time MBF so far. I asked him for the motivation to study here while leaving behind great schools back home. His answer was hazy , so i cannot recollect anything worthwile to write about.

-Snowden
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 26 Jul 2010
Posts: 292
Location: European union
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 39

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 20 Dec 2013, 16:12
Snowden, hast du eine Arbeit in der Schweiz gefunden ?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 21 Dec 2013, 09:44
Ivan91 wrote:
Snowden, hast du eine Arbeit in der Schweiz gefunden ?


Nein :cry:
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 00:50
snowden wrote:
Hi Friends,

This is the information promised in my previous posts. Let me give the highlights. In case there are very specific scenarios I will answer them to the best of my knowledge. So here it goes:

1] ALL non-swiss, no matter who they are , need a work permit to work in switzerland.

2] Permits are essentially of type L, B, C there are several minor types for complex scenarios but mostly for students these are the ones that matter

3] L is for upto 2 years , B can be longer than 2 years, C is like a PR.( all permit applications are initiated by recruiter and not employees)

4] EU nationals can get type B/L on application with minimal paperwork within 2 weeks. Recruiters have to show that the position that is filled by these EU nationals is for a skill not available in Switzerland

5] Non EU can apply with loads of paper work ( non EU includes Canada and USA). and if all is well then within 4 weeks type B/L should be in.Recruiters have to show that the position that is filled by these non EU nationals is for a skill not available in Switzerland and the rest of Europe!!!

6] EU can get type C if they stay for 5 years in switzerland,for non eu its 10 years. with no breaks.

Sounds rosy for Eu citizens but well its no quite.

7] there are no unlimited work permits available. There are quotas decided by federal government released every quarter and then allocated to each canton individually. Zurich has the highest Appenzell the lowest.
case year 2012 - by October 2012 type b permits were over and no new ones were released. It is all related to the political climate


Finally if non-eu national wants to do internship for 6 months in switzerland and the course does not have it as being mandatory( IN MBF internship is not mandatory)
then the non-eu national cannot do it, it is not allowed which means non-eu nationals start with an extreme extreme disadvantage and discriminatory labor practises
right from student times.

this explains also my data about 50% internships in MBF
also the placement record ..the claim 100% placed is not simply true, atleast cannot be taken at face value...

-Snowden



Hey Snowden! Appreciate your effort to paint a realistic picture.
What about the regulations which give easier access for non-EU graduates from swiss universities? Can't post the link but I copied the Article in question here!
Art. 21 Vorrang
1 Ausländerinnen und Ausländer können zur Ausübung einer Erwerbstätigkeit nur zugelassen werden, wenn nachgewiesen wird, dass keine dafür geeigneten inländischen Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer oder Angehörige von Staaten, mit denen ein Freizügigkeitsabkommen abgeschlossen wurde, gefunden werden können.
2 Als inländische Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer gelten:
a.Schweizerinnen und Schweizer;
b.Personen mit einer Niederlassungsbewilligung;
c.Personen mit einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung, die zur Ausübung einer Erwerbstätigkeit berechtigt.
3 Ausländerinnen und Ausländer mit Schweizer Hochschulabschluss können in Abweichung von Absatz 1 zugelassen werden, wenn ihre Erwerbstätigkeit von hohem wissenschaftlichem oder wirtschaftlichem Interesse ist. Sie werden für eine Dauer von sechs Monaten nach dem Abschluss ihrer Aus- oder Weiterbildung in der Schweiz vorläufig zugelassen, um eine entsprechende Erwerbstätigkeit zu finden.1


Roughly translates into something like this : Provided the job has high economic or scientific value, firms don't need the labor market test to hire non-EU graduates from Swiss Universities. Please correct me if Im wrong!
Your take on this?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 02:16
k21 wrote:

Hey Snowden! Appreciate your effort to paint a realistic picture.
What about the regulations which give easier access for non-EU graduates from swiss universities? Can't post the link but I copied the Article in question here!
Art. 21 Vorrang
1 Ausländerinnen und Ausländer können zur Ausübung einer Erwerbstätigkeit nur zugelassen werden, wenn nachgewiesen wird, dass keine dafür geeigneten inländischen Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer oder Angehörige von Staaten, mit denen ein Freizügigkeitsabkommen abgeschlossen wurde, gefunden werden können.
2 Als inländische Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer gelten:
a.Schweizerinnen und Schweizer;
b.Personen mit einer Niederlassungsbewilligung;
c.Personen mit einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung, die zur Ausübung einer Erwerbstätigkeit berechtigt.
3 Ausländerinnen und Ausländer mit Schweizer Hochschulabschluss können in Abweichung von Absatz 1 zugelassen werden, wenn ihre Erwerbstätigkeit von hohem wissenschaftlichem oder wirtschaftlichem Interesse ist. Sie werden für eine Dauer von sechs Monaten nach dem Abschluss ihrer Aus- oder Weiterbildung in der Schweiz vorläufig zugelassen, um eine entsprechende Erwerbstätigkeit zu finden.1


Roughly translates into something like this : Provided the job has high economic or scientific value, firms don't need the labor market test to hire non-EU graduates from Swiss Universities. Please correct me if Im wrong!
Your take on this?


this is right. I confirm that in the chat i had with the law firm, they did mention that if you have a degree(z.b. masters) from swiss universities, then, pan-european labour tests dont apply, but pan-swiss tests still applies. the clause about 'economic and scientific' is added to prevent opportunistic migrants from countries like pakistan , bangladisch,turkey,indonesia etc join in private hotel management institutes just to earn a degree and compete in non-related fields in the open job market.

returning to the focus of the topic i.e. HSG this clause does not change the scenario, because you dont get a degree unless you graduate, you dont graduate unless you submit the thesis. by the time you submit the thesis you are already in your home country. so any opportunity you search for would be conditional gaurantee given by you to the prospective employer about your graduation which in most cases would not be bought by them :(

-Snowden
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 02:57
snowden wrote:
k21 wrote:

Hey Snowden! Appreciate your effort to paint a realistic picture.
What about the regulations which give easier access for non-EU graduates from swiss universities? Can't post the link but I copied the Article in question here!
Art. 21 Vorrang
1 Ausländerinnen und Ausländer können zur Ausübung einer Erwerbstätigkeit nur zugelassen werden, wenn nachgewiesen wird, dass keine dafür geeigneten inländischen Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer oder Angehörige von Staaten, mit denen ein Freizügigkeitsabkommen abgeschlossen wurde, gefunden werden können.
2 Als inländische Arbeitnehmerinnen und Arbeitnehmer gelten:
a.Schweizerinnen und Schweizer;
b.Personen mit einer Niederlassungsbewilligung;
c.Personen mit einer Aufenthaltsbewilligung, die zur Ausübung einer Erwerbstätigkeit berechtigt.
3 Ausländerinnen und Ausländer mit Schweizer Hochschulabschluss können in Abweichung von Absatz 1 zugelassen werden, wenn ihre Erwerbstätigkeit von hohem wissenschaftlichem oder wirtschaftlichem Interesse ist. Sie werden für eine Dauer von sechs Monaten nach dem Abschluss ihrer Aus- oder Weiterbildung in der Schweiz vorläufig zugelassen, um eine entsprechende Erwerbstätigkeit zu finden.1


Roughly translates into something like this : Provided the job has high economic or scientific value, firms don't need the labor market test to hire non-EU graduates from Swiss Universities. Please correct me if Im wrong!
Your take on this?


this is right. I confirm that in the chat i had with the law firm, they did mention that if you have a degree(z.b. masters) from swiss universities, then, pan-european labour tests dont apply, but pan-swiss tests still applies. the clause about 'economic and scientific' is added to prevent opportunistic migrants from countries like pakistan , bangladisch,turkey,indonesia etc join in private hotel management institutes just to earn a degree and compete in non-related fields in the open job market.

returning to the focus of the topic i.e. HSG this clause does not change the scenario, because you dont get a degree unless you graduate, you dont graduate unless you submit the thesis. by the time you submit the thesis you are already in your home country. so any opportunity you search for would be conditional gaurantee given by you to the prospective employer about your graduation which in most cases would not be bought by them :(

-Snowden


I interpreted the article on its face value, as in, non-EU grads are exempt from the labor market test - equal footing with regards to Swiss except for the fact that cap on quotas still holds, and that the work permit still has to be granted?!
Again, "economic value" is pretty vague, but I'm guessing it's x times the average national or regional salary (as in some other EU countries- 1.5 times the average salary)? Considering HSG's claim of the mean annual salary after graduation, I'm hoping this part is rendered irrelevant!
Also doesn't the clause, as well as the work permit checklist from HSG's website, specify that non-EU grads can stay up to 6 months after graduation for the sole purpose of 'job searching'?
Thanks again for your detailes responses!
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 24 Dec 2013, 10:45
k21 wrote:
I interpreted the article on its face value, as in, non-EU grads are exempt from the labor market test - equal footing with regards to Swiss except for the fact that cap on quotas still holds, and that the work permit still has to be granted?!
Again, "economic value" is pretty vague, but I'm guessing it's x times the average national or regional salary (as in some other EU countries- 1.5 times the average salary)? Considering HSG's claim of the mean annual salary after graduation, I'm hoping this part is rendered irrelevant!
Also doesn't the clause, as well as the work permit checklist from HSG's website, specify that non-EU grads can stay up to 6 months after graduation for the sole purpose of 'job searching'?
Thanks again for your detailes responses!


Nope not on equal footing with the Swiss but with rest of Europe. But this has to be taken with a bag of salt. Equal footing in the sense its only on paper. Since workpermits are rationed it is no longer a free job market. the quotas in place make sure only a few make through.
Economic value as you rightly said is vague and is a reason for rejection based on a biased selection/rejection criteria, any body who knows basic contract law knows this sham.

So there are three things here and they are disjoint. you are making an error of seeing it as one and the same.
1] Eligibility to participate in the job market through preferential treatment by virtue of your degree
2] Work permit quotas
3] HSG reports of aggregate information of the central tendency of the salary levels.

so for example if 1 applies it does not mean a non-eu citizen becomes an eu citizen or treated similarly when it comes to the issue of work-permit.
the point is all the recruiters are well aware of this and wont take the additional costs/risks as obviously they are risk averse.

Finally to complete your degree you stay here for 1.5 years and have access to 100 companies(i am not exaggerating, check banking days,talent days and consulting days etc twice, right on campus. If you cannot get anything out of this ( which is more likely than not depending on which category you belong to) additional 6 months is simply a donation to the Swiss welfare system from your end whose only outcome is better cheese :P which one might not be able to afford because it is ridiculously overpriced!

-Snowden
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 28 Oct 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2013, 02:48
snowden wrote:
k21 wrote:
I interpreted the article on its face value, as in, non-EU grads are exempt from the labor market test - equal footing with regards to Swiss except for the fact that cap on quotas still holds, and that the work permit still has to be granted?!
Again, "economic value" is pretty vague, but I'm guessing it's x times the average national or regional salary (as in some other EU countries- 1.5 times the average salary)? Considering HSG's claim of the mean annual salary after graduation, I'm hoping this part is rendered irrelevant!
Also doesn't the clause, as well as the work permit checklist from HSG's website, specify that non-EU grads can stay up to 6 months after graduation for the sole purpose of 'job searching'?
Thanks again for your detailes responses!


Nope not on equal footing with the Swiss but with rest of Europe. But this has to be taken with a bag of salt. Equal footing in the sense its only on paper. Since workpermits are rationed it is no longer a free job market. the quotas in place make sure only a few make through.
Economic value as you rightly said is vague and is a reason for rejection based on a biased selection/rejection criteria, any body who knows basic contract law knows this sham.

So there are three things here and they are disjoint. you are making an error of seeing it as one and the same.
1] Eligibility to participate in the job market through preferential treatment by virtue of your degree
2] Work permit quotas
3] HSG reports of aggregate information of the central tendency of the salary levels.

so for example if 1 applies it does not mean a non-eu citizen becomes an eu citizen or treated similarly when it comes to the issue of work-permit.
the point is all the recruiters are well aware of this and wont take the additional costs/risks as obviously they are risk averse.

Finally to complete your degree you stay here for 1.5 years and have access to 100 companies(i am not exaggerating, check banking days,talent days and consulting days etc twice, right on campus. If you cannot get anything out of this ( which is more likely than not depending on which category you belong to) additional 6 months is simply a donation to the Swiss welfare system from your end whose only outcome is better cheese :P which one might not be able to afford because it is ridiculously overpriced!

-Snowden


I specified in my earlier reply that equal footing is granted for non-EU except for the cap on the quotas and work permits being granted - I meant that there is no need on part of the employer to prove to the Swiss labor ministry that they didn't find any Swiss graduate of sufficient qualification. Provided the cap on quotas makes it difficult, it wouldn't be impossible to land a job right? Take a look at this!

I took this from the Federal Office of Migration website (unable to post the link at this point of time)
Foreign graduates holding a Swiss university-level diploma to be granted easier access to the labor market

Parliament passed the Neirynck initiative on June 18, 2010, a parliamentary initiative aimed at amending article 21 of the Foreign Nationals Act. The amendment provides for foreign nationals graduating from a Swiss university-level institution to be on an equal footing with Swiss nationals when it comes to entering the Swiss labor market.

To find employment, foreign nationals who have earned a Swiss university-level diploma will be entitled to stay in Switzerland for six more months from the time of completing their education or postgraduate studies. Those who are successful in securing employment will be issued a work permit, provided the prospective position involves an activity of particular scientific or economic importance.

The amendment will take effect on 1 January 2011.


Another link on the EPFL's website mentions the same! So on part of the employer there is no additional obstacle in employing a foreign national who graduated from Switzerland, barring the application for work permits!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Dec 2013
Posts: 1
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2013, 03:27
Hello everyone,

I am a student from Croatia which became a member of the European Union this year (2013), but apperently Swiss government still sees it as a non-EU country. As I'd like to study at the University of St. Gallen I am not sure about my employment prospects as a citizen of Croatia. Also, I am concerned about opportunities for doing internships during university time which is very important for me, as I'd like to work in investment banking where internships are crucial for landing a job. I speek Croatian and English fluently, and right now I live in Germany where I study German, and by the September of 2014 I will probably hold a C1 level of German language.

With all this in sight, could anyone from you who are familiar with St. Gallen situation tell me what do you think about my chances for getting a job and internship in Switzerland?

Other business schools I will apply to are Bocconi and WHU, but I am looking at HSG as my first choice.

And also, I'd like to thank snowden and the rest of you who made an effort to share useful information and insights.

Thank you
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 16 May 2013
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2013, 13:38
Hi,

Could someone please inform me on the admission deadlines?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Jun 2012
Posts: 63
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 50

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 01 Jan 2014, 22:42
Hi everyone, I have a question about this program. On its brochure, it says "Business or Economics undergrad major" is a requirement. Can't Engineering students apply to the program? Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Moderator
Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 10 May 2010
Posts: 818
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 324 [0], given: 191

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 02 Jan 2014, 00:51
Snowden,

Only if other school students are as candid as you are. Truthfuless has become a rarity in this dan age.
Having said that just to put a positive spin on this thread want to let you know that situation is UK and Canada is NOT that much better either, especially for those who are looking for Finance jobs.

For example non-EU LBS MBA grads are unable to find sponsors in UK and are working in Netherlands.
Similarly Rotman MBA grads are not able to find jobs even 6 months after graduation. In both Rotman and LBS the total debt is around 140k USD.
Compared that 4k CHF/USD this program is dirt cheap. So hopefully there is a silver lining in the cloud :). Even 1 year Indian MBA programs cost north of 40k USD.

Now may you can enlighten on the cost of living in Switzerland ?
I can see why some Asian grads want to study here. Maybe as a stepping stone to PhD this can be a good program.
_________________

The question is not can you rise up to iconic! The real question is will you ?

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2013
Posts: 51
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 0

Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake [#permalink] New post 03 Jan 2014, 10:32
ritter wrote:
Hello everyone,

I am a student from Croatia which became a member of the European Union this year (2013), but apperently Swiss government still sees it as a non-EU country. As I'd like to study at the University of St. Gallen I am not sure about my employment prospects as a citizen of Croatia. Also, I am concerned about opportunities for doing internships during university time which is very important for me, as I'd like to work in investment banking where internships are crucial for landing a job. I speek Croatian and English fluently, and right now I live in Germany where I study German, and by the September of 2014 I will probably hold a C1 level of German language.

With all this in sight, could anyone from you who are familiar with St. Gallen situation tell me what do you think about my chances for getting a job and internship in Switzerland?

Other business schools I will apply to are Bocconi and WHU, but I am looking at HSG as my first choice.

And also, I'd like to thank snowden and the rest of you who made an effort to share useful information and insights.

Thank you



Hello riiter,
sorry for the delayed response. Its holiday time :)
I think based on my previous posts you would have known by now that C1 level of german means language is no longer a barrier for you. it all boils down to the permits and quotas.

Given the effort you have put in to learn german Bocconi is not the first choice as you rightly mentioned.

so in short , you are nearly on equal footing (not entirely though) with the DACH citizens when it comes to internship/jobs rest depends on market conditions.

-Snowden
Re: University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake   [#permalink] 03 Jan 2014, 10:32
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
HEC MIF vs St. Gallen MBF riagupta 0 09 Apr 2014, 12:18
1 University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2013 intake MonSama 135 21 Feb 2013, 23:04
1 Thinking of doing the MBF, U. of St.Gallen swissstud 4 25 Oct 2012, 08:43
9 University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2012 intake Silver89 256 04 Aug 2011, 21:02
Display posts from previous: Sort by

University of St.Gallen (HSG) MBF 2014 intake

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8    Next  [ 141 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.