Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 30 Sep 2014, 16:10

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)
WE 1: 3.5yrs as a Strategy Consultant - Big 4
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 16

University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 10:01
Hi folks - I attended an event at UofT yesterday .. quite decently put together.

Happy to do a summary if folks have any interest. Havent seen any interest in Canadian schools and hence thought I would put it out there.

The forum for lack of a better word was hosted by University of Toronto and headlined with the presence of their Dean Roger Martin. Martin recently completed 10 years as the Dean and was reappointed for another 5 years (or so I believe)

He spoke for about 45 minutes on various topics and then entertained questions for roughly 30 minutes. The following are the salient points discussed (allowing for some leeway given my increasingly dicey memory)

• The vast improvement in the Rotman school over the last 10 years
• The creation and execution of the plan for ‘Integrative Thinking’ curriculum
• The impetus on moving the brand forward on a global basis
• The continued focus on Integrative Thinking and how far down the line he sees the evolution of the program
• The benefits of Toronto as a city and the possibilities resultant from being located in the heart of the Canadian financial capital
• The strengths of the program continue to be in Strategy and Finance

My Takeaways –

• His humility – Martin is an enormously accomplished man, both professionally and academically. He set up Monitor Consulting Canadian Operations and was a leading consultant for them for several years after doing his MBA from Harvard. In his latest avatar, he has been recognized as one of the leading thinkers in business circles for several years now and his last book has been received very well. Despite his accomplishments I found him to be carefully measured in the progress Rotman has made and needs to make.
• The progress on developing a global brand – I specifically asked this question given my long term interest in being able to move around. Martin indicated that a lot of improvements have been made in this regard but a lot more needs to be done. He did indicate that this takes a long time and that sustained investments on this front will lead rewards down the line. He mentioned recruiting trips to London and NYC as examples of what they are trying to do.
• Investments in Faculty paying off – The full time tenure track faculty numbers have grown three fold in Martin’s 10 year reign as the Dean. The quality of the faculty seems to be improving and there seems to be a real emphasis on bringing up and coming practitioners into the ranks.

INSEAD Sept 2010 Interview Invite Nov 5, 2009 Admit & Matriculating
Wharton Sept 2010 Interview Invite Oct 30, 2009 Waitlisted & Ding
Harvard Sept 2010 Ding without Interview
Ivey May 2010 Interview Invite Nov 23, 2009 Admit + $$

Last edited by sm332 on 26 May 2008, 07:14, edited 1 time in total.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Location: Silicon Valley via Russia, China, Canada and Wharton/Lauder
Schools: Wharton/Lauder (Mandarin Chinese)
Followers: 10

Kudos [?]: 52 [0], given: 8

Re: University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum [#permalink] New post 22 May 2008, 15:44
U of T is an OK school. I know a few people there, and they are generally satisfied w/the quality of the program.

Rukuku.com–Interactive Online Courses
http://www.rukuku.com

Wharton/Lauder blog
http://www.onefootprint.com/lauderwharton/

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 03:26
Yes please, can you provide more info? That would be interesting. As well would you know about landing jobs in Toronto post MBA
Current Student
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

Re: University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 11:16
Something interesting about UofT that I've heard around my company is that we stopped recruiting there because grads had too-high expectations on salary and compensation. (For the most part though, I think it's just my company's unwillingness pay to market price.) Most of the MBAs who get hired here tend to come from other schools in the province, or McGill.

I think this just means that graduating from UofT means you're more likely to end up working in finance (Bay Street), consulting, or the Canadian division of a large multi-national with more established jobs/rotations for MBAs. There are a LOT of other schools in the province churning out MBAs that seem to feed the rest of the city's business needs.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum [#permalink] New post 24 May 2008, 13:22
I second fooFighter's request. I'm applying to Toronto, so I'd love any info on the school. Many thanks!
Current Student
Schools: F2010 - HBS (R1 - denied w/o interview ), INSEAD (R1 - admitted), Wharton (R1 - waitlisted & ding), Ivey (R2 - admitted w/ 60% tuition)

Re: University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 07:15
I have added some thoughts from the session - I am happy to share entertain specific questions if folks have any on Rotman. I cant say I know everything about it, but I might be better placed than most to answer them.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 08:41
Thanks again, sm!

I also got the feeling from my research that U of T is on the move up. It opens all the necessary doors in that nearly every big name financial/consulting firm recruits there. Ivey is the only other school in Canada that comes close, and to date I've been a bit dubious about its one year program (I'm a career changer) and its location.
Current Student

Re: University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum [#permalink] New post 26 May 2008, 09:35
Actually - I should have added this in my note.

Dean Martin addressed this during a question about 'whether Rotman would consider moving/adding a 12 month program'

His response was quite emphatic, 'NO, at least not under my watch!'

His reasons were as follows:

1. Not enough time for students to reflect on what they are learning/doing and consequently diminished returns.
2. The summer internship is crucial for career changers and even those who may want to try something new.
3. Although time is of critical importance, if you are so overwhelmed in your 12 months that you get no time for anything other than academics and placements - then it really eliminates many other attributes of a good program.

I liked that he never once mentioned anything about Ivey. Again, dignified response when he could have taken some shots at Ivey.

Kylian wrote:
Thanks again, sm!

I also got the feeling from my research that U of T is on the move up. It opens all the necessary doors in that nearly every big name financial/consulting firm recruits there. Ivey is the only other school in Canada that comes close, and to date I've been a bit dubious about its one year program (I'm a career changer) and its location.

Re: University of Toronto - Dean Roger Martin Forum   [#permalink] 26 May 2008, 09:35