Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Jul 2014, 14:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

University of Toronto - Rotman

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 148 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2007, 19:04
Well, it depends on which other schools you have applied and whether you intend to work in Canada after your MBA. If the other schools are elite/ultra-elite or if you intend to work in Canada after, well, you should pay for it.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 08:41
My other schools are Chicago, NYU and Cornell.
I've only had my interview for Cornell so it looks like there is no way in hell I am going to get any admits this week.

I really don't mind working in Canada, but would prefer US or Asia. I'd love to do some I-banking in HK or Shanghai even... Do you think the Rotman name would carry well over there?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 12 Feb 2007, 16:27
No, IMHO, Rotman would not go all the way to HK I-Banking... Even IVEY would be a long shot even though it has an executive program in HK. I think only Chicago would give you a chance to work in HK but even there, it would be hard enough. Remember that many very smart guys from H/S/W are vying for the top IB jobs in HK and unless it makes business sense for them to hire you (you speak local languages and you already have some contacts there), they would hire someone local at a lower cost (especially Shanghai).

The story is somewhat different if you come as an expat with experience. A few years down the road, this would be an easier move.

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 13:50
Hey Paul, sounds like you know something I dont... :?

Well, I was born in HK, and I've been asking alot of ppl how much a canadian mba would be valued compared to an US mba. Nobody could give me a straight answer, but most agreed that a north american mba should definitely get me somewhere.

I didn't get the impression that the market was saturated with H/S/W mbas all that much. I do speak cantonese and might be able to scrape together a few contacts... I'll have to see....

With regards to Rotman, I bit the bullet and mailed out a bank draft today :( so I have a spot locked down til July. Now I just have to wait for news from the US schools...

Anyway, I'd love to hear more info about banking / IM in HK if you have any for me

Thanks!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 13 Feb 2007, 17:52
I went to info session of DB in London regarding Asia openings and the MD to whom I spoke told me about the competitiveness in the HK market and how you really had to have some IB (analyst+) or CPA background and speak the local language to break in. Of course, a well-known int'l MBA would help you but you really had to have some prior experience to break in.

Many of the guys there that evening had MBA from Wharton and Harvard although the two MDs I spoke to had INSEAD and Oxford post-grad degrees. What I'm trying to say is that a Rotman MBA would not make you as competitive as those higher ranked MBAs.

In the end, you will perhaps manage to get in but you will have to market yourself harder. Remember that Rotman might also not have many alumni in HK which may make it harder to establish a network.

This is only my opinion from my own experience. You can take it with a pinch of salt. :shock:

Best Regards,

Paul

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2007, 11:45
I think you are right about Rotman. I called their career center and asked about placements in asia, both intern and full time. They said only about 3% get placed in asia and half of them found their own jobs.

Admissions season is not over yet, so we will have to see where this goes. If I do end up going to rotman, I will definitely be pushing for an overseas internship if at all possible...
  [#permalink] 14 Feb 2007, 11:45