Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 58 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
Re: University of Washington Foster school [#permalink]
I'm in the Bay Area.

I have RSVPed for the admit weekend, but on Monday I recieved an admit to Tepper with a decent scholarship. I hadn't anticipated the scholarship, and it actually makes CMU cost competative with UW. Unfortunately, turns out the admit weekends are the same weekend.

Though I had previously dismissed CMU due to the cost issue, I think I need to consider it now. I've been there several times, and I already know I love UW, so I'm leaning toward attending the Tepper weekend as the Pittsburgh location raises a lot of questions/red flags in my mind.

As of today I'm going to have to say I probaly won't make the admit weekend.

God I hate this decision. I had my mind made up, but now it looks like I will have serious regrets no matter which school I chose.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Quote:
but now it looks like I will have serious regrets no matter which school I chose.

Whoa, if you had only been accepted to one of them you wouldn't have regrets about attending. So why should your good fortune produce any? whichever school you choose will likely work out well. The fact that you are approaching this so analytically only means you will make the best decision for your situation!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
 Q48  V44
Send PM
PE,
westsider is right when he says that the fact that you are being so analytical about the issue is proof enough that whatever you decide will come out good. I guess its always better to have a choice than not have any so congrats on the Tepper admit and scholarship.
llmll,
I had visited the UW discussion board just yesterday and had noticed the attorney profile. Great profile and I really look forward to working with you this fall man.
westsider,
which is your profile on the discussion board or are you still not sure whether you are going to UW.
By the way did anyone notice the scientist from harvard at the discussion forum. Is the scientist also lurking around this forum?????
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I didn't mean to come off whiny in that last post. Obviously I'm thrilled to have two good choices. I'm just stressed (in a good way) to have to go back and re-evaluate a decision I had already made. I had looked at my list of schools and had a good solid reason for attending or not attending each one:

1) UW - Love Seattle. Loved the school. Felt the school was attracting great students for all the right reasons (quality education, quality professors, quality community, etc..., not snobbery).

2) Cornell - Wife and I have both been there, done that. Great school, but two more years of Ithaca winters?

3) BU MS/MBA - Liked the dual degree, but felt like neither degree would go deep enough.

4) Haas Part-time - I'm looking to switch careers, part-time is just the wrong choice for me.

5) CMU - Too expensive - until I Monday :)

Oh well - its a great decision to have to make.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V41
Send PM
PEtoMBA,

You need to read the Paradox of Choice. It is a great read that about how too many choices reduces satisfaction. If you want a condensed version, check this out: https://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/93.

jfals
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I'm in Belltown (downtown Seattle for those that are unfamiliar with area).

Yeah, I saw the scientist on the message board... I don't think he is on this site.
Intern
Intern
Send PM

I am going to UW for sure. I did not even apply to a second school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Anyone get the Finaid info back from UW yet?I turned it in on like Feb3 (pretty early since i didn't get W2 until jan31). With the acceptance deadline fast approaching it seems like we should get this. You know - seeing the full financial situation before committing.
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V41
Send PM
This question is for all of you who heard back from UW already.

How long did it take for you to start hearing back? I applied to the final application deadline about a week ago (March 15). How much longer do you think I will have to wait.

apprehensive as you may expect,

jfals
https://www.jaredmalan.com
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
good question. I also applied for the deadline last week, but submitted my application about a month ago.

also, did anyone apply for the evening program? or is everyone FT?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I am FT.

UW seems to choose the "wait until deadline" approach. I got a phone call about 24 hours before the deadline. But apparently not everyone even got that!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UW definitely waits until the deadline to make its notifications. I got a call at 4:59 PST the day before the decision deadline. Seems like about 1/2 those accepted recieved a call the day before the deadline, the other half on the deadline day.

Westsider, I have not recieved my financial aid package yet either. I submitted FASFA on Feb 5th and recieved a email saying to watch the mail, but then nothing since then. I also haven't recieved the fine print on my merit scholarship (GPA requirements to maintain for year 2, method of payment, etc...) The delay is making me a little nervous.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Same here. I think this is an area they could really improve in. I find it incredibly hard to believe they don't know the fine print of our merit scholarships when they are granted.

I emailed them about the renewability previously, and they said things are "only one year" but that "you are welcome and encouraged to apply for a scholarship for year two"
and
"For awards in the second year, our policy is to reward academic performance in year one and contribution to the program"
"Most students who receive a merit scholarship in year one will receive one in year two. However, you should plan to do the following three things: apply for scholarships in April of year one, maintain a strong GPA in the first year (usually 3.5 or higher cumulative is needed to be considered meritorious), and be an active and involved participant in the MBA Program."
Manager
Manager
 Q44  V41
Send PM
I expect you guys interviewed before you learned you were admitted. How long was it for them to contact you for an interview?

jfals
https://www.jaredmalan.com
Intern
Intern
Send PM
It took two weeks to get an email invite to interview. Although, I was told that they waited that long so that the international students could be scheduled first.

Fin aid - I understand that it makes it hard to make the decision to accept over another school when you don't know if you are getting money, but they do spread out the scholarships and the value of the school is already high. You should call them and voice your concerns.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I had to wait about a month before being contacted (mid nov- mid dec). As llmmll mentioned locals should expect to wait longer for contact as it is easier for us =)
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V44
Send PM
I am an international student so I hope my take in this will help. I had applied in the 2nd round and the decision deadline for that round was Jan 25. I was invited to interview on the 12th of December and I interviewed on the 19th. As for the decisions, I must say that UW waits for the last possible moment to inform. I was sent an email at around 4:45 on the 25th. The deadline was 5 on 25th so they spared just 15 minutes and I must tell you that was very nerve racking as I had gotten a ding at the last moment from Yale so I had almost given up hope. They did the same with their scolarship decision as well. I have a feeling there are a few sadistic guys on the adcom or maybe the person that sends out the mails gets some kind of sadistic pleasure out of making people wait till the last possible moment. Anyway, I hope you guys have a better time of it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  18   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts