Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unless the residents of Glen Hills band together, the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
VP
VP
Schools: Chicago Booth '11
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 149 [0], given: 12

GMAT Tests User
Unless the residents of Glen Hills band together, the [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 14:27
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

33% (04:46) correct 67% (01:10) wrong based on 7 sessions
Unless the residents of Glen Hills band together, the proposal to rezone that city will be approved. If it is the city will be able to build the water and sewer systems that developers need in order to construct apartment houses there. These buildings would attract new residents. and the increased population would probably result in overcrowded schools and would certainly result in roads so congested that new roads would be built. Neither new roads nor additional schools could be built without substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills, Ultimately this growth might even destroy the rural atmosphere that makes Glen Hills so attractive.

Which one of the following can be properly concluded from the passage?

(A) If the citizens of Glen Hills band together. developers will not build apartment houses
(B) If developers build apartment houses in Glen Hills, there will be substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills
(C) If the rezoning proposal does not pass the rural atmosphere in Glen Hills will not be lost
(D) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills, the taxes of the residents of Glen Hills will not increase substantially
(E) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills. the schools of Glen Hills will not be overcrowded and roads will not be congested
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 17:16
uhhh.. they all look right to me :shock:

I guess I would click C confirm and move on.
Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 18:05
(B)

"Education is what remains when one has forgotten everything he learned in school."

Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Schools: Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Glen Hills [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 19:15
terp26 wrote:
Unless the residents of Glen Hills band together, the proposal to rezone that city will be approved. If it is the city will be able to build the water and sewer systems that developers need in order to construct apartment houses there. These buildings would attract new residents. and the increased population would probably result in overcrowded schools and would certainly result in roads so congested that new roads would be built. Neither new roads nor additional schools could be built without substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills, Ultimately this growth might even destroy the rural atmosphere that makes Glen Hills so attractive.

(A) If the citizens of Glen Hills band together. developers will not build apartment houses
(B) If developers build apartment houses in Glen Hills, there will be substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills
(C) If the rezoning proposal does not pass the rural atmosphere in Glen Hills will not be lost
(D) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills, the taxes of the residents of Glen Hills will not increase substantially
(E) If developers do not build apartment houses in Glen Hills. the schools of Glen Hills will not be overcrowded and roads will not be congested

I have noticed one thing in CRs. We are finally left with 2 competing choice. To identify the final answer, we should be extremely clear about which is a supported statement and which is an unsupported statement. By supported statement I mean something that is definitely supported by argument. An unsupported statement is one that is not supported.

In the above question B is a supported statement. Because the argument says so. If they build apartment houses, the tax increases will be substantial.

In D, if developers do not build apartment houses, we can't say that taxes will not increase substantially. The taxes can be raised for some other reason. Say for example, Iraq war tax. D is an unsupported statement.

Similar in E, the schools can get overcrowded for another reason. Lets say, there was an earth quake in that region. And most of the school buidings got destroyed. And it takes years to rebuild the school system. In that case existing schools may be overcrowded, without developers building apartments. E is an unsupported statement.

Hence, B is my answer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Glen Hills [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 19:52
aurobindo wrote:
terp26 wrote:

I have noticed one thing in CRs. We are finally left with 2 competing choice. To identify the final answer, we should be extremely clear about which is a supported statement and which is an unsupported statement. By supported statement I mean something that is definitely supported by argument. An unsupported statement is one that is not supported.

In the above question B is a supported statement. Because the argument says so. If they build apartment houses, the tax increases will be substantial.

In D, if developers do not build apartment houses, we can't say that taxes will not increase substantially. The taxes can be raised for some other reason. Say for example, Iraq war tax. D is an unsupported statement.

Similar in E, the schools can get overcrowded for another reason. Lets say, there was an earth quake in that region. And most of the school buidings got destroyed. And it takes years to rebuild the school system. In that case existing schools may be overcrowded, without developers building apartments. E is an unsupported statement.

Hence, B is my answer.

Ahhh, yes, the necessary and sufficient conditions rear their ugly heads. D and E may or may not occur based on what is stated in the stem. I realize my error now in approaching this question. I actually think that 'find the conclusion" questions can be the easiest, because the answer has to come DIRECTLY from the stem and no outside info or assumption can be used to draw a supported statement. Soooo, with that in mind, B is clearly the only stmt we can directly support by the stem.

Can we also, just for fun, say that answer choice (F) would also be correct if it said:
(F) If the residents do not band together, then the rezoning was approved.
??
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR - Glen Hills [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:00
buckkitty wrote:
aurobindo wrote:
terp26 wrote:

Hence, B is my answer.

Ahhh, yes, the necessary and sufficient conditions rear their ugly heads. D and E may or may not occur based on what is stated in the stem. I realize my error now in approaching this question. I actually think that 'find the conclusion" questions can be the easiest, because the answer has to come DIRECTLY from the stem and no outside info or assumption can be used to draw a supported statement. Soooo, with that in mind, B is clearly the only stmt we can directly support by the stem.

Can we also, just for fun, say that answer choice (F) would also be correct if it said:
(F) If the residents do not band together, then the rezoning was approved.
??

Based on Unless X, Y structure, F also seems to be right. But B seems more right because, it is a broader conclusion :wink:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:02
I choose F!

we should compile a list of top ten signs you've lost it during GMAT study :wink:
VP
VP
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 115 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 20:55
buckkitty wrote:
I choose F!

we should compile a list of top ten signs you've lost it during GMAT study :wink:

Hahaha! Good one!
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 21:00
nervousgmat wrote:
buckkitty wrote:
I choose F!

Hahaha! Good one!

Hahaha... :lol:
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Feb 2007, 21:55
OA is indeed B, reasoning would be from the question:

building apartment houses......would certainly result in roads

Neither new roads nor additional schools could be built without substantial tax increases

therefore

Answer B
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 11:48
Though OA is (B) but I picked (C), because I do not see any difference between (B) and (D)
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 01 Mar 2007, 21:15
rdg wrote:
Though OA is (B) but I picked (C), because I do not see any difference between (B) and (D)

looking at D

but anything could cause the taxes to increase or decrease, doesnt just have to be because of developers and apartment houses

B doesnt make this assumption because from the stem it tells you that taxes WILL increase if roads are built which would def happen if apt buildings are built
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 02 May 2007, 20:55
Can someone pleaseee explain to me why A is not the answer.. ?

Success is my only option, failure is not -- Eminem

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 03:14
Its a tough one. Well frist i got all confused but then after carefully examining each and every choice i choose B. Well my reasoning if x->y then this does not means that if not y-> not x Hence choice B.

Javed.

Cheers!
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 09:06
another B
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 03 May 2007, 09:51

I agree with B for the reasons that A, C, D, and E all contain extreme statements that something will happen but are not supported in the passage.
A) there's a logical gap "assumption" that banding together will result in no buildings
B) no assumption here. new houses -> new residents -> new roads -> increase taxes
C) not passing the proposal "assumes" that the rural atmosphere is not lost by other alternative forces
D) same as in C. not building houses "assumes" that tax increases won't occur for other reasons
E) same as C & D. this assumes that overcrowding won't exist due to other factors
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 13:33
vote for B
VP
VP
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 180 [0], given: 10

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: CR - Glen Hills [#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 17:25
terp26 wrote:

B it is
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 14 May 2007, 21:38
B.
It is the only conclusion that must be true given the premises/statements.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: CR - Glen Hills [#permalink] New post 15 May 2007, 22:38
aurobindo wrote:
terp26 wrote:

Hence, B is my answer.

Quote:
These buildings would attract new residents. and the increased population would probably result in overcrowded schools and would certainly result in roads so congested that new roads would be built. Neither new roads nor additional schools could be built without substantial tax increases for the residents of Glen Hills

I disagree with B. Just for the reason that there is a 'probably' that connects the premise to the conclusion.
Why isnt A the right answer?
Re: CR - Glen Hills   [#permalink] 15 May 2007, 22:38