Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 23 Oct 2014, 01:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be extinct

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Q38: Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2011, 10:15
good one E it is.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 1

Re: Q38: Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be [#permalink] New post 07 Jan 2012, 21:56
E...according to "necessary but not sufficient condition ."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
GMAT 1: 750 Q V
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 6

Re: Q38: Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be [#permalink] New post 10 Jul 2012, 08:11
The GMAT would be such a more pleasant test if this were really a 700-level question.

Answer is E.

+1 Kudos me - I'm half Irish, half Prussian.

SVP
SVP
Followers: 276

Kudos [?]: 66 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Q38: Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be [#permalink] New post 14 Apr 2014, 16:30
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 15 [0], given: 1909

Re: Q38: Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2014, 05:42
Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be extinct in the wild. The countries in which the tigers’ habitats are located are currently debating joint legislation that would ban tiger hunting. Thus, if these countries can successfully enforce this legislation, the survival of tigers in the wild will be ensured.

Notes
Tigers die from hunting.
Countries in which tigers live are thinking of passing a law that will ban hunting.
Conclusion: tigers will not be extinct

ASU:
Tiger hunters can't find another way around the law.

Tigers won't die from other means such as disease or loss of habitat.

The reasoning in the argument is most vulnerable to criticism on the grounds that the argument
A. assumes without sufficient warrant that a ban on tiger hunting could be successfully enforced

Wrong: no assumption that ban could be enforced. Even if the ban were enforced, tigers could die from other means.

B. considers the effects of hunting on tigers without also considering the effects of hunting on other endangered animal species

Wrong:
Out of scope, because hunting of other animals is irrelevant

C. fails to take into account how often tiger hunters are unsuccessful in their attempts to kill tigers

Wrong: success of hunters is irrelevant

D. neglects to consider the results of governmental attempts in the past to limit tiger hunting

Wrong:
Past efforts are irrelevant.

E. takes the removal of an impediment to the tiger's survival as a guarantee of their survival
Correct:
Tigers could die from other means. Hunting is just one of those means.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Intern
Intern
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 10

Re: Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be extinct [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2014, 10:12
E would be the right choice.. as the premise stands on the assumption that Only hunting is the sole cause of extinction, which is rather one of the reasons.
Re: Unless tiger hunting decreases, tigers will soon be extinct   [#permalink] 16 Apr 2014, 10:12