Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 08:09

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 11:31
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

  55% (hard)

Question Stats:

41% (01:00) correct 59% (00:46) wrong based on 63 sessions
Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated.

a) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated

b) Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls.

c) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, pit bulls bring out an unwillingness in many people to believe that they might be fully domesticated.

d) Many people are unwilling to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be.

e) Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinchers, which many people are willing to believe can be fully domesticated, such belief does not extend to pit bulls.






Please explain your answer!
Thanks
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Last edited by Zarrolou on 09 Jun 2013, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.
Added OA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 277
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 11:47
Is it D, cause it follows parallelism.

A and E are out for incorrect use of modifiers.
C is awkward.
B does not follow parallelism.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 19 Apr 2008
Posts: 325
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 34 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 13:27
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
Is it D, cause it follows parallelism.

A and E are out for incorrect use of modifiers.
C is awkward.
B does not follow parallelism.



isn't use of "they" confusing in D ? I like B .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 07 Jan 2008
Posts: 297
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 21 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 13:52
'even while' in D is strange if not redundant. Will go for B.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 55
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 14:05
Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated.

a) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated -- Idiom Unlike X, Y. X and Y have to be of the same form. Here Dogs are compared to an unwillingness.

b) Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls. -- Subject is many people. Changes the context.

c) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, pit bulls bring out an unwillingness in many people to believe that they might be fully domesticated.

d) Many people are unwilling to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be. -- Use of 'while' is incorrect. While is one of those words similar to 'being' which are almost always wrong :).

e) Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinchers, which many people are willing to believe can be fully domesticated, such belief does not extend to pit bulls. -- Unidiomatic. Not of the form Unlike X, Y


Ans is C
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1435
Followers: 35

Kudos [?]: 226 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 17:12
a) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated

Compares GS & DB with unwillingness.

b) Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls.

Concise and remove the Dependent clause in between. The sentence reads just fine.



c) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, pit bulls bring out an unwillingness in many people to believe that they might be fully domesticated.

Comparison is good but pit bulls do not bring out any thing as per the Original sentence.


d) Many people are unwilling to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be.

I am not aware of whether while is almost always wrong on GMAT. But sure does have issues with conciseness and clarity

e) Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinchers, which many people are willing to believe can be fully domesticated, such belief does not extend to pit bulls.

Wrong comparsion
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2006
Posts: 1941
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 322 [0], given: 1

Premium Member
Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 18:40
tarek99 wrote:
Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated.

a) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated

b) Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls.

c) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, pit bulls bring out an unwillingness in many people to believe that they might be fully domesticated.

d) Many people are unwilling to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be.

e) Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinchers, which many people are willing to believe can be fully domesticated, such belief does not extend to pit bulls.






Please explain your answer!
Thanks


Agree in timed pressure, I will surelly be wrong. B/c I am in the dark that what is "shepherds or Doberman pinchers", and whether it can be logically compared with "pit bulls".

I find it wrong with "the same of pit bulls", so I choose C
_________________

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 02 Aug 2007
Posts: 187
Schools: Wharton
Followers: 18

Kudos [?]: 104 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2008, 20:27
B.

in C, the "they" is ambiguous because it can refer to the people themselves.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 04 Jun 2007
Posts: 59
Location: United Kingdom
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 01:26
Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated.

==a) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated (Wrong comparison)
b) Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls. (Same usage seems to be problem ,not sure on explanation)
==c) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, pit bulls bring out an unwillingness in many people to believe that they might be fully domesticated. (They can here refer to pit bulls as pit bulls is the main subject of this sentence)
d) Many people are unwilling to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be. (Best among choices .Parallism is maintained and concise .They refer to many people as many people is the main subject of sentence)
==e) Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinchers, which many people are willing to believe can be fully domesticated, such belief does not extend to pit bulls.(Wrong comaprison)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 29 Aug 2005
Posts: 283
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 01:33
My pick for this one is B. I can explain my answer further, if it is the correct answer


What is the OA for this question
_________________

The world is continuous, but the mind is discrete

SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 04:03
OA is B. So start explaining people! :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 25 Nov 2006
Posts: 277
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 23 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 05:01
rpmodi wrote:
Ashwin_Mohan wrote:
Is it D, cause it follows parallelism.

A and E are out for incorrect use of modifiers.
C is awkward.
B does not follow parallelism.



isn't use of "they" confusing in D ? I like B .


True, I overlooked that....Yea now that i see it, I feel the correct option is B
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 55
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 09:45
tarek99 wrote:
OA is B. So start explaining people! :)


I can CONFIDENTLY say that the OA is WRONG!!!

If you look at answer choice B - (Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls).

The statement says that Many people are unwilling to belive the same of pit bulls. This makes absolutely no sense. The 'willing to .... fully domesticated' part is a modifier and is simply a descriptor for 'many people' and can be ignored. Given that the sentence is actually referring to a part of a modifer suggests that there is something worng with it.

There is a reason why you should only solve problems from official/unofficial GMAT questions. (Official Sources- OG, GMAT Official Paper Tests, GMAT/POWER PREP - Unofficial Sources - 1000 SCs, The Sets). Don't waste your time doing problems from other sources. No test prep company can come close to the quality of questions prepared by ETS/ACT.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 10:03
Legend wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
OA is B. So start explaining people! :)


I can CONFIDENTLY say that the OA is WRONG!!!

If you look at answer choice B - (Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls).

The statement says that Many people are unwilling to belive the same of pit bulls. This makes absolutely no sense. The 'willing to .... fully domesticated' part is a modifier and is simply a descriptor for 'many people' and can be ignored. Given that the sentence is actually referring to a part of a modifer suggests that there is something worng with it.

There is a reason why you should only solve problems from official/unofficial GMAT questions. (Official Sources- OG, GMAT Official Paper Tests, GMAT/POWER PREP - Unofficial Sources - 1000 SCs, The Sets). Don't waste your time doing problems from other sources. No test prep company can come close to the quality of questions prepared by ETS/ACT.


To satisfy your curiosity, I got this question from Kaplan 800. After reading the OE, I wasn't completely satisfied with it, and so I decided to post it to get everyone's input. Here's the OE:

"The sentence sets up a comparison between Dobermans and German shepherds on one hand and pit bulls on the other. The beginnings of the choices give you a standard 3-2 split, so start with the choices beginning Unlike since there are three of them. (A) and (E) don't compare dogs to dogs so eliminate them. The remaining three choices create grammatically correct parallels, but (C) and (D) are wordier and less active than (B), so (B) is the best bet. We'll descuss active and passive voices later on."


So what's so less active about options C and D?
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 03 Apr 2007
Posts: 55
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 10:08
I guess C is best by process of elimination. I don't really like any of the answers but if I had to make a logical decision based on the rules of standard written English, I would pick C based on a process of elimination. B is DEFINITELY wrong, unless there are some typos in the sentence that change everything.

Hence my advice on solving only official/unofficial GMAT questions.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 14 Apr 2008
Posts: 5
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 11:36
tarek99 wrote:
Legend wrote:
tarek99 wrote:
OA is B. So start explaining people! :)


I can CONFIDENTLY say that the OA is WRONG!!!

If you look at answer choice B - (Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls).

The statement says that Many people are unwilling to belive the same of pit bulls. This makes absolutely no sense. The 'willing to .... fully domesticated' part is a modifier and is simply a descriptor for 'many people' and can be ignored. Given that the sentence is actually referring to a part of a modifer suggests that there is something worng with it.

There is a reason why you should only solve problems from official/unofficial GMAT questions. (Official Sources- OG, GMAT Official Paper Tests, GMAT/POWER PREP - Unofficial Sources - 1000 SCs, The Sets). Don't waste your time doing problems from other sources. No test prep company can come close to the quality of questions prepared by ETS/ACT.


To satisfy your curiosity, I got this question from Kaplan 800. After reading the OE, I wasn't completely satisfied with it, and so I decided to post it to get everyone's input. Here's the OE:

"The sentence sets up a comparison between Dobermans and German shepherds on one hand and pit bulls on the other. The beginnings of the choices give you a standard 3-2 split, so start with the choices beginning Unlike since there are three of them. (A) and (E) don't compare dogs to dogs so eliminate them. The remaining three choices create grammatically correct parallels, but (C) and (D) are wordier and less active than (B), so (B) is the best bet. We'll descuss active and passive voices later on."


So what's so less active about options C and D?


I agree with OA.
Here is what I think:

In D, the pronoun "they" is ambiguous, is it referring to pit bulls or Many people.
With C, its not the "pitbulls which bring out unwillingess out of the people", but the people are unwilling to believe. You can not bring out unwillingness out of someone, rather we someone is unwilling to do something.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 21 Jul 2006
Posts: 1551
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 233 [0], given: 1

Re: SC: Tough one! [#permalink] New post 07 Jul 2008, 11:51
I double checked on the question and I can confidently say that there is no typo.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 18:01
Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated.

(A) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an unwillingness on the part of many people to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated.
(B) Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls.
(C) Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, pit bulls bring out an unwillingness in many people to believe that they might be fully domesticated.
(D) Many people are unwilling to believe that pit bulls might be fully domesticated even while they are willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be.
(E) Unlike German shepherds and Doberman pinchers, which many people are willing to believe can be fully domesticated, such belief does not extend to pit bulls.


-------------
The question is from Kaplan800 and I don't believe in ans provided by Kaplan.

Last edited by Zarrolou on 09 Jun 2013, 01:40, edited 2 times in total.
Merging similar topics.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 69
Location: United States
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Schools: ISB '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V39
WE: General Management (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 15

Re: question from Kaplan800-Unlike German shepherds [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 18:23
It's "B"

A and E are incorrect because the correct idiom is "unlike x, y".

Also A, C and E are in passive voice, active voice is preferred on GMAT.

Between D and B, B is shorter and more precise.
_________________

Kudos are motivating! :)

1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 15 Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: question from Kaplan800-Unlike German shepherds [#permalink] New post 08 Jun 2013, 18:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
vs007 wrote:
It's "B"

A and E are incorrect because the correct idiom is "unlike x, y".

Also A, C and E are in passive voice, active voice is preferred on GMAT.

Between D and B, B is shorter and more precise.




And that's what I wanted to discuss.
Look at option B from this angle

Many people, willing to believe that German shepherds and Doberman pinchers might be fully domesticated, are unwilling to believe the same of pit bulls.

--drop the modifier and search for antecedent for pronoun "same" and you wont find it.

don't you think this error is more critical that the wordiness in option D?
Re: question from Kaplan800-Unlike German shepherds   [#permalink] 08 Jun 2013, 18:37
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
Golden Retrievers, Labradors, and German Shepherds goodyear2013 1 07 Apr 2014, 03:49
1 Golden Retrievers, Labradors, and German Shepherds are goodyear2013 2 06 Apr 2014, 15:31
1 Experts publish their posts in the topic Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an eybrj2 6 13 Jun 2012, 19:41
2 Experts publish their posts in the topic Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an tarun 10 03 May 2010, 01:49
unlike ! vermatanya 8 08 Jan 2008, 08:47
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Unlike German shepherds or Doberman pinchers, there is an

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page    1   2    Next  [ 25 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.