Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 01:16

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 09:07
B is certainly out, just because they have access to it doesn't mean its easy to access or even that they know its there.

I have access to the top of mount everest, chances of me getting there for all practical purposes is 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000001
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 11:45
I am for D. If government have no fund to educate people, how it can do it.
Please share your thinking why its NOT D.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 65 [0], given: 39

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 12:02
B is completely out of scope ( the stem is discussing Gov efforts and suggestions)

only E in my eyes weakens their assumption because they can educate but still people has no money to put it into action.

Thus the Gov efforts is useless
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 6 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 13:51
you are 10 for E, 4 for B, 1 A, 1 D

OAEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 14:23
Yes E

If the government wishes to stem the spread of the disease, it should educate the public about the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle and promote healthful diets and exercise.

E proves that education by itself won't suffice to address the problem.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 27 Oct 2006, 12:39
One more for E

A School health programs already educate middle-school students about the issue. X addresses only one segment of the population
B The public already has access to this information through the Internet. X Educating is not he same as making infor available
C Food companies encourage the public to indulge in unhealthful snacks. X Out of scope. Exercising and Active lifestyle vs. eating habits
D The government has not set aside money for such a program. X The assumptiopn is that the education programs does happen
E Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people. Yes. Even if the education programs are instituted, the public does not have the financial means.
Current Student
Followers: 23

Kudos [?]: 121 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 07:41
I disagree with the OA. Answer choice (E) is just a "cop-out." How can walking or jogging be beyond a severly obese person's budget :?: All one needs is a $50 pair of sneakers and motivation (free). Additionally, IMHO, barring the most exclusive organic produce, most healthy foods are affordable, if not cheaper than most TV dinners or Big Mac super size combinations that contribute to such diseases.

For Example:

Big Mac Super Size set (in Los Angeles) = ~$6.50

(vs)

A bowl of oatmeal with skim milk and some fresh fruit (in Los Angeles) = ~$2.00

The latter has the same nutritional value as the former at less than a third of the price.

Karlfurt, would you please post the OE for this CR?
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 08:04
One more for E
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2006, 11:09
GMATT73 wrote:
I disagree with the OA. Answer choice (E) is just a "cop-out." How can walking or jogging be beyond a severly obese person's budget :?: All one needs is a $50 pair of sneakers and motivation (free). Additionally, IMHO, barring the most exclusive organic produce, most healthy foods are affordable, if not cheaper than most TV dinners or Big Mac super size combinations that contribute to such diseases.

For Example:

Big Mac Super Size set (in Los Angeles) = ~$6.50

(vs)

A bowl of oatmeal with skim milk and some fresh fruit (in Los Angeles) = ~$2.00

The latter has the same nutritional value as the former at less than a third of the price.

Karlfurt, would you please post the OE for this CR?

I think your raisoning is false, because we have to assume that E is true. Even if sneakers cost only 50$, it is beyond the budget of many persons. What disturbs me is the "many". For me, many people is not enough to make the plan invalid.

Anyway, here is the OE:

The conclusion of the argument is that the government should educate the public about the dangers of inactivity and poor diet in order to stop the spread of type-2 diabetes. The basis for the claim is that inactivity and poor diet are the main factors in developing type-2 diabetes. We are asked to find a choice that will show that this plan likely will not work.

(A) The fact that schools educate middle school students about a disease that is generally "acquired in adulthood" does not address the effectiveness of an adult education plan sponsored by the government.

(B) The fact that the public already has access to this information through the Internet, does not say anything predictive about the effectiveness of the plan. Even with access to the information, there is a good chance that most people are not exposed to the information.

(C) Just because food companies encourage the public to indulge in unhealthful snacks, does not mean that a program that teaches them to do otherwise would not be successful.

(D) The fact that the government has not set aside money for such a program, does not say much about the projected program's effectiveness.

(E) CORRECT. Choice E states that healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people. This suggests that even with the best planning, the program might not achieve its goals simply because people cannot afford to follow the program's advice.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 04:51
I guess it is very expensive to have a health diet in the US
A decent meal in a decent restaurant costs more than a junky food in a fast-food one, besides signing in a gym is expensive. If you want to jog, you need a car most of the time to go to a park,etc....

I understand the American Dilema :)

time is not on my side

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 10:09
I will go for E

isn't it pointless to educate people when they wouldn't have money to follow up on what they learned?
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2006, 10:20
I go for B
  [#permalink] 29 Oct 2006, 10:20