Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 15 Sep 2014, 21:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 12:11
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:11) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Unlike juvenile diabetes, which is a genetic condition present from birth, type-2 diabetes is acquired in adulthood, generally as the result of overweight and inactivity. The number of cases of type-2 diabetes has been steadily increasing in the United States since 1970, indicating to many researchers that the American population is becoming increasingly heavy and sedentary. If the government wishes to stem the spread of the disease, it should educate the public about the dangers of an inactive, calorie-laden lifestyle and promote healthful diets and exercise.

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason to believe that the proposed education program will NOT be effective?

A School health programs already educate middle-school students about the issue.
B The public already has access to this information through the Internet.
C Food companies encourage the public to indulge in unhealthful snacks.
D The government has not set aside money for such a program.
E Healthful foods and exercise programs are beyond the financial means of many people.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 12:32
Between A and E, I'm picking E.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 76 [0], given: 39

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 12:37
E for me
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 13:20
agree E
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 14:50
Tough call for me...

IMHO, exercise programs are not expensive. People can do simple walking and warm up exercises to keep their body fit with less money or no cost.

There are plenty of free resource materials available which would teach to go for better food intake. There are plenty of ways people could avoid eating fatty food and go for the better healthy food with less cost. We don't need to educate people here to go for organic foods and - still more...

A - talks about teaching info in the middle school.

C talks about only snacks which is also killer for many people to take fatty calories foods. In America, people consume snacks all times in a day .

I will go for A or C. Final choice is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 16:23
One more for E
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 41 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 18:35
go for E
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 18:43
A can't be right. How will the program fail if school going children are educated? How will children getting education help the adults? Adults are not getting educated about type-2.

E on the other hand says that, though those adults are educated, the status of the problem will largely remain the same because of affordability issue.

I will bet on E.

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 19:49
E !

1st 600, 2nd 680, 3rd 760 ? =)

Director
Director
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V42
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 20:09
Clear E. The program will not be effective if people cannot afford to implement the remedial/preventive measures they learned.
Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 23:47
The problem with E is that it is talking about many people.

But many ranges from 2 to millions of people. So if only10 people out of milliond cannot afford such programs, it is not a sufficient to say that the program will not be effective.

I would have chosen E if it were most instead of many.

A is not convincing neither. But we can still suppose that if an health education doesnt work among teenagers, it will be even less effective among adults. A parralele can be done with learning a language, or correct behavior, or education provided by parents. Those educations are learned more effectively by children than by adults.
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 15 Oct 2006, 23:53
I got B. :shock:
VP
VP

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 06:11
karlfurt wrote:

But many ranges from 2 to millions of people. So if only10 people out of milliond cannot afford such programs, it is not a sufficient to say that the program will not be effective.

A is not convincing neither. But we can still suppose that if an health education doesnt work among teenagers, it will be even less effective among adults. A parralele can be done with learning a language, or correct behavior, or education provided by parents. Those educations are learned more effectively by children than by adults.

Karl, hope u agree that "many" means significant number of people.

If significant number of people don't benefit, then the program is not successful. No?

The path is long, but self-surrender makes it short;
the way is difficult, but perfect trust makes it easy.

Director
Director

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 06:41
ak_idc wrote:
karlfurt wrote:

Karl, hope u agree that "many" means significant number of people.

If significant number of people don't benefit, then the program is not successful. No?

I agree that in the common language, many means a lot.
But I've read in a CR material, may be LSAT bible, that many should be considered cautiously, since it ranges from 2 to most.

1 million obese is a lot, isn't it. That represents many people.
But if there are 20 Million of obese, this million of obese, though being a significant number, represents then only 5% of the 20 Million. Are 5% enough to say that the program will not be effective?

May be I am exagerating or became too cautious or too narrowed in my approach.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 07:01
A is out i'm almost 100% (but probably wrong :roll:) , the passage refers to adult diabetes, what if they have only just started to teach it in schools and that education has not yet filtered into the adult population? Under this premise it would be irrelevant. What if diabetes is mainly aquired at 40+ due to bad habits from middle age? We would have to wait for a long while for the education of the 15yr olds in middle school to pay off.

I agree that many could mean 2 > infinite, but in this case i think it is the more appropriate answer.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 07:06
Guys. B is as clear as mud. 12 seconds flat.
Manager
Manager
Schools: HKUST

Kudos [?]: 28 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 07:27
rbcola wrote:
Guys. B is as clear as mud. 12 seconds flat.

I agree
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 07:34
One more for E.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 08:39
(B) is my answer . I cannot go with (E) because I have to assume that "Healthful foods and exercise programs are costlier". But nowhere is it stated.Also it could be that government could be sponsoring such costs.
The plan is to educate the public on this issue. And (B) says that public already have access to this through "internet". Also "internet" is one form of education.

Can someone explain why (B) is wrong..Thanks
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 16 Oct 2006, 08:49
mukeshnathani wrote:
(B) is my answer . I cannot go with (E) because I have to assume that "Healthful foods and exercise programs are costlier". But nowhere is it stated.Also it could be that government could be sponsoring such costs.
The plan is to educate the public on this issue. And (B) says that public already have access to this through "internet". Also "internet" is one form of education.

Can someone explain why (B) is wrong..Thanks

Maybe exposure to the internet is not widespread.Or maybe people do not access the information even though it is accessible.(E) undercuts the conclusion that increased awareness wud cause a decrease in the number of diseases beacause many of them wud not be able to follow it.

A well-balanced person is one who has a drink in each of his hands.

[#permalink] 16 Oct 2006, 08:49