Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 09:12

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 8

GMAT Tests User
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 23:28
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

36% (02:19) correct 64% (00:58) wrong based on 22 sessions
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.
A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: River Walk, or Pasco del Rio [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 23:33
Comparing c,d and e with A. They are so different. But comparison in A is wrong. That leaves B as answer.

Posted from my mobile device Image
Expert Post
5 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 262

Kudos [?]: 1562 [5] , given: 249

Re: River Walk, or Pasco del Rio [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 09:52
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio ........wrong comparison of cities with river
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river...... The comparison is weak, the river should have been forthrightly compared with the river, rather than in San Antonio.
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it ...... wrong comparison of the river with a city.
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
Using a parenthesis to describe an inevitable part of the sentence is incorrect. Without the clause ‘a river is the focal point of urban life’ the sentence is absurd. In addition, while the text talks about many cities where the river is longer the focal point, D talks about a few cites, where is it is still the focal point. This shift is wrong
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river .....correct choice

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 94 [1] , given: 10

GMAT Tests User
Re: River Walk, or Pasco del Rio [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 09:59
This post received
KUDOS
"E" is the correct answer

Wrong comparisons in options A, B, and C
D is awkward

Therefore, E has to be the answer, because it contains correct comparison.

Check this link

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/invite.do?in=NzYxOTkxJSMlRzF0NGJKQnllT1kzVmRmbTVBb2tLZ1Q4RA==

http://www.rupeemail.com/rupeemail/pages/rupeemail/images/joinImage.gif

Last edited by vyassaptarashi on 23 Mar 2011, 15:12, edited 2 times in total.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Chicago Booth Class of 2015
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 193 [0], given: 123

Reviews Badge
Re: River Walk, or Pasco del Rio [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 10:05
Hey daagh Kudos ! I have one question. You mean the subject of comparison is following "unlike" and it should be the first word in the parallel clause - "the river in San Antonio". Is this correct?

B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river...... The comparison is weak, the river should have been forthrightly compared with the river, rather than in San Antonio.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: River Walk, or Pasco del Rio [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2011, 14:55
+1 to daagh, good explanation.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE: Engineering (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 24 [0], given: 166

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 03:23
Marked D .. but now I get why the aswer is E :)

Nice explanation guys ! thanks ! :-D

Didn't give up !!! Still Trying!!

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 14:58
went for D, but i get why E is better. thanks

Sky is the limit

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: American Management association, American Association of financial accountants
Schools: Columbia university
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 52

GMAT Tests User
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer [#permalink] New post 24 Nov 2011, 14:58
went for D, but i get why E is better. thanks

Sky is the limit

SVP
SVP
Followers: 240

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 21:37
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
1 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 0

Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer [#permalink] New post 01 Apr 2014, 22:07
This post received
KUDOS
the correct answer here is still pretty ugly, so let's criticize the four incorrect choices.

choice a:
faulty comparison:
'unlike many u.s. cities, ... the river in san antonio...' --> can't compare cities to a river

choice b:
comparison isn't so good:
the second part should start directly with 'the river' (instead of 'in san antonio the river...'), so that the comparison is more clear.
much more importantly, poor use of the relative pronoun 'which':
'...cities in the united states, which is no longer the focal point...'
relative pronouns like which, by default, refer to the noun that's closest to the left, which in this case is the united states. therefore, this relative pronoun is used in a way that's either ambiguous (if you allow it to potentially refer to other nouns) or just plain wrong (if you follow the rule strictly).

choice c:
faulty comparison again
'the river...' is being compared to san antonio.

choice d:
drastic change in meaning
this sentence has completely gotten rid of any reference to the concept of 'no longer'. while all the other sentences say that things have changed, this sentence presents the situation as if it's always been that way.
Re: Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer   [#permalink] 01 Apr 2014, 22:07