Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 31 Jul 2014, 03:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS, Kellogg
Followers: 15

Kudos [?]: 256 [0], given: 1

Premium Member CAT Tests
Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 01:34
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
48. Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.
A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 01:43
sondenso wrote:
48. Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio winds through the middle of the business district, and the River Walk, or Pasco del Rio, is the city's most popular attraction.
A) Unlike many United States cities, where a river is no longer the focal point of urban life, the river in San Antonio
B) Unlike the river in many cities in the United Stated, which is no longer the local point of urban life, in San Antonio the river
C)Today the river in many cities in the United States is no longer the focal point of urban life, unlike San Antonio, where it
D) In few United States cities today, a river is the focal point of urban life, but the river in San Antonio
E) No longer do many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river

D.
Sơn Denso, OA is?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 16 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 01:56
It is tough for me as well. I am between D and E.
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 02:27
sondenso wrote:

Both D and E are correct.
but choice D is simpler and to the point. D is the best answer.

JackOfAllTrades
http://pulyanithinks.blogspot.com

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 18 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 02:52
A, B and C have obvious comparison issues - river vs cities or vice versa
I think E is mouthful. D would have been my choice.
CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 06:11
Straight D sondenso - pay attention to the comparisons - in ABC river is compared to United states etc. E is a bit wordy.
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 89 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 07:00
D changes the meaning guys thus it should be E

Persistence+Patience+Persistence+Patience=G...O...A...L

CEO
CEO
Followers: 54

Kudos [?]: 426 [0], given: 210

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 07:08
Yeah on second read, E makes more sense. The usage of comma is a bit awkward in D.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 0

Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 09:52
Quote:

A- Wrong Comparison
B - which - non restrictive clause.
C -'where it' - it not correct. it can refer to anything
D - Incorrect. Might be a good contender if 'but' is replaced with 'like' or 'such as'
E - CORRECT - No longer do and but are used correctly.

Many people dream, but some wake up and work towards it.

CEO
CEO
Followers: 16

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 09:57
Def E. The majority of the answers have city refer to river or vise versa.
Current Student
Schools: Wharton'11 HBS'12
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 155 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 10:06
straight E..

D messes up the entire meaning..the original meaning is that the RIVER IS NO LONGER THE CENTER of attention...D says river is still the center of attention!
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 16 May 2008, 17:11
lexis wrote:
D.
Sơn Denso, OA is?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

saravalli wrote:
Going with E.

Pls attach with your "going with E" some reasons! :lol:

bsd_lover wrote:
The usage of comma is a bit awkward in D

I still not understand clearly why D is wrong! if omittiting comma in D, is D correct?

In timed pressures, I nearly do not pay attention to E, E is arranged at the final and seems wordy. But E is correct. I hate GmatPrep. So tricky! :lol:

I think, most of us will choose D at first and GMAC is very successful to deceice us.
:lol:
OA is E

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 04:01
sondenso wrote:

Are there any similar usages between NO SOONER and NO LONGER? If it is NO SOONER, the auxiliary should precede the noun.
First time I read this sentence, I though it should be:
No longer HAVE many cities in United States a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river.

That why I choose D. But in fact, I fail. So need someone explains in detail.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 13:21
sondenso wrote:

I would choose E because it is the only sentence where the city and SanAntonio are logically parallel.
In D United states cities is parallel to the river which is incorrect.
SVP
SVP

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 17:27
ventivish wrote:
choose E because it is the only sentence where the city and SanAntonio are logically parallel

That interesting finding, but :
many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river winds...

Honestly, I do not see what the parallel here? So confusing! :oops:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools: R1:Cornell, Yale, NYU. R2: Haas, MIT, Ross
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 18:45
sondenso wrote:
ventivish wrote:
choose E because it is the only sentence where the city and SanAntonio are logically parallel

That interesting finding, but :
many cities in United States have a river as the focal point of urban life, but in San Antonio the river winds...

Honestly, I do not see what the parallel here? So confusing! :oops:

Well the way I see it(could be mistaken) there are many cities in United States that have a river as the focal point but in SanAntonio(city), the river winds...

It is not parallel in structure if you look on either side of but you are describing the river in the city.
Therefore in many cities in the U.S, the river is no longer the focal point, but in San Antonio , the river .....is the city's most popular attraction.

I dont mean to confuse the readers but this was part of my reasoning in answering the question, I could be wrong! If so please correct me. :idea:
Director
Director
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 82 [0], given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 19:33
sondenso wrote:
lexis wrote:
D.
Sơn Denso, OA is?

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

saravalli wrote:
Going with E.

Pls attach with your "going with E" some reasons! :lol:

Sure.. :-D .
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 96 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 17 May 2008, 23:28
sondenso wrote:
lexis wrote:
D.

I still not understand clearly why D is wrong! if omittiting comma in D, is D correct?

The use of the word "but" in D is not right. there is no contrast when u say few cities already have river as focal point.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC. Brutal for me! [#permalink] New post 21 May 2008, 09:16
alpha_plus_gamma wrote:
sondenso wrote:
lexis wrote:
D.

The use of the word "but" in D is not right. there is no contrast when u say few cities already have river as focal point.

This is the best finding.
BUT can not be in D.
Re: SC. Brutal for me!   [#permalink] 21 May 2008, 09:16