Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 13:38

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike most suspension bridges, the main cables of the

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 445 [1] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Unlike most suspension bridges, the main cables of the [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:33
This post received
KUDOS
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Unlike most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires protection from corrosion.

Answer Choices :

(A) most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires

(B) most suspension bridges, the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge's main cables are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires

(C) the main cables of most suspension bridges those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire

(D) those of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires

(E) those of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now require

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 11:51
IMO E

A and B are out because of incorrect comparison.

D is out because it uses singular "requires" for plural "mail cables"

in C "they" looks ambiguous.
SVP
SVP
Schools: Hard Knocks
Followers: 29

Kudos [?]: 431 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:01
D, see reasons within the quote.

What's the OA Suresh?

x2suresh wrote:
Unlike most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires protection from corrosion.

Answer Choices :

(A) most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires
The phrase "unlike most suspension bridges" is a modifier. What does it modify? According to this answer, the phrase modifies "cables". This is incorrect.
(B) most suspension bridges, the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge's main cables are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires
At first glance, this appears to correct the problem from A, but it doesn't. Williamsburg Bridge's is possessive and so Cable is the noun being modified...again!
(C) the main cables of most suspension bridges those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire
The "Unlike...bridges" is still a modifying phrase and should be set off with a comma before "those".
(D) those of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires
This fixes the modification issues in the prior answers. Also, the word "which" refers to "ungalvanized wire". This is a singular noun so the verb needed is "requries".
(E) those of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now require
This fixes the modification issues in the prior answers but in a different way. Also, "require" is only correct if "which" refers to "main cables", otherwise "which" refers to "ungalvanized wire" and this is a singluar verb that needs "requires", not "require".

------------------------------------
J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

VP
VP
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 114 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:08
x2suresh wrote:

Answer Choices :

(A) most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires -> mismatch

(B) most suspension bridges, the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge's main cables are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires -> incorrectly compares bridges and bridge's attributes

(C) the main cables of most suspension bridges those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire -> wordy and ambiguous they

(D) those of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now requires -> this is incorrect since it says protection for ungalvanised wir but actually protection is meant for main cables made of these wires

(E) those of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now require -> IMO E

Unlike x,y
X,Y should be parallel and same types of objects

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:10
Quote:
(E) those of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge are made of ungalvanized wire, which now require -> IMO E

If what you say is true regarding "which" then it breaks the rules of grammar. The word "which", when used to introduce a modifying phrase, refers to the nearest noun preceeding it. This would be "galvanized wire", not "main cables". Therefore, D is correct.

The correct method to make the phrase beginning with "which" modify "main cables" is as follows:
"Unlike those of most suspension bridges, the main cables of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge, which now require protection from corrosion, are made of ungalvanized wire."

J Allen Morris
**I'm pretty sure I'm right, but then again, I'm just a guy with his head up his a$$.

Last edited by jallenmorris on 23 Jul 2008, 12:14, edited 2 times in total.
SVP
SVP

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:14
try agian..
OA is not D or E

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:16
Then the OA is C. It's the next best... I still stand by D until proven otherwise :-D
EDIT: Nope, I still think C is wrong.

Alright, what's the OA? The suspense is killing me.

Also, Suresh, what is the source of this question?

J Allen Morris

Last edited by jallenmorris on 23 Jul 2008, 12:18, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:17
I agree that which refers to galvanized wire and change my ans to D. Somehow missed this.
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:19
grepro - evidently we're both wrong regardless of D or E. I think i'm going to disagree with the OA, even though Suresh hasn't posted a question I disagree with...yet :-D

grepro wrote:
I agree that which refers to galvanized wire and change my ans to D. Somehow missed this.

J Allen Morris

Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:27
You are correct mate the OA seems to be C (11-p306618?t=43377) though no one agree to that
VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:31
according to the meaning of the statement given here ,protection from rust is for main cables :(
the funda of which is fine ,
If the OA were C ,only doubt that remains is THOSE in the below sentence refers to what bridges or main cables ?????those immediately follows bridges

Unlike the main cables of most suspension bridges those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire -> wordy and ambiguous they

cheers
Its Now Or Never

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:34
you pulled this from the other thread within GMATClub? If you know of the external source, please state so, otherwise, this is a horribly question and I disagree with it!

Suresh...since you pulled this from within GMATClub, i won't let this tarnish your record! Every SC question you post I agree with the OA. I may not agree right away, but I've always seen the question as a good question and I eventually see why the OA is correct. You post high quality questions (except for this one :-D) lol.

x2suresh wrote:
grepro wrote:
You are correct mate the OA seems to be C (http://gmatclub.com/forum/11-p306618?t=43377) though no one agree to that

yeap!! this the source..

J Allen Morris

VP
VP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:39
:(
this is one hell of a question
I actually don't agree with C as OA .Its too wordy and awkward.We can form a better sentence than C .whats the source of this Q??
:shock:

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [0], given: 0

Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:46
How could C be correct? I thought about how this would work when I first saw the question but the complete sentence would be:

Unlike the main cables of most suspension bridges those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion.

I mean it's a little technical but isn't the underlined part being replaced? Makes for a wordy and confusing sentence...
SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:49
You're right, the underlined part is being replaced. I think this sentence could be corrected very easily. See the comma before "those".

droopy57 wrote:
How could C be correct? I thought about how this would work when I first saw the question but the complete sentence would be:

Unlike the main cables of most suspension bridges, those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion.

I mean it's a little technical but isn't the underlined part being replaced? Makes for a wordy and confusing sentence...

J Allen Morris

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:51
jallenmorris wrote:
you pulled this from the other thread within GMATClub? If you know of the external source, please state so, otherwise, this is a horribly question and I disagree with it!

Suresh...since you pulled this from within GMATClub, i won't let this tarnish your record! Every SC question you post I agree with the OA. I may not agree right away, but I've always seen the question as a good question and I eventually see why the OA is correct. You post high quality questions (except for this one :-D) lol.

x2suresh wrote:
grepro wrote:
You are correct mate the OA seems to be C (11-p306618?t=43377) though no one agree to that

yeap!! this the source..

Hey,
I was just going through the few questions posted/answered by "kevincan" (scored Q 51 , V50 --790). I cam across this one..(so called stupid one by everyone.. :lol: including me). Kevincan chose C as answer...

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:55
In my opinion, kevincan got it wrong! lol

again,thanks for posting the question. It's always good to have some more discussion.

I think the sentence has to have a comma or it is incorrect. Otherwise, I think I would have selected it. I remember reading it and thinking "Where's the comma?"

J Allen Morris

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 12:57
jallenmorris wrote:

again,thanks for posting the question. It's always good to have some more discussion.

May be he missed V51 because he got it wrong . :roll: :-D

SVP
SVP

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:00
He probably did ! LOL. It's not like he scored a perfect 800!

I'll count this one as an unscored "test" test question.

x2suresh wrote:
jallenmorris wrote:

May be he missed V51 because he got it wrong . :roll: :-D

J Allen Morris

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 12 [1] , given: 0

Re: SC -bridges [#permalink] New post 23 Jul 2008, 13:54
This post received
KUDOS
Pardon my lingering on this stupid question but it's annoying the hell outta me. What about "from corrosion" at the end.

so "now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion".

jallenmorris wrote:
You're right, the underlined part is being replaced. I think this sentence could be corrected very easily. See the comma before "those".

droopy57 wrote:

Unlike the main cables of most suspension bridges, those of the eighty-year-old Williamsburg Bridge now require protection from corrosion as they are made of ungalvanized wire protection from corrosion.

Re: SC -bridges   [#permalink] 23 Jul 2008, 13:54