Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:53 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [0]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Upset about the verbal score - SC, CR and RC are going to be my friend
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: Unlike most volcanoes, found mostly along the boundaries of [#permalink]
Expert Reply
My answer, if you may all it the official answer, is E as many have rightly spotted. The clue here is to remove the parenthesis, which interferes with the main course of the sentence, ad make clear the intended meaning that volcanoes are in the boundaries while hot spots are in the interiors.
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: NCC,SAE,YHIA
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: International Business
GPA: -
WE 1: 3 years international sales & mktg-projects
Send PM
(D) Hot spots, harboured on the Earth’s surface and lying deeply in the interior of the plates, unlike most volcanoes, are found along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust

Distorts the meaning , according to this version hot spots lie deeply in the interior of the plates and are found along the boundaries of the plates.

Both the statements cant be simultaneously true until the boundary also lies deep in the interior of plates.
But boundary cannot be in the interior of plate, hence D is wrong....
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
daagh wrote:
My answer, if you may all it the official answer, is E as many have rightly spotted. The clue here is to remove the parenthesis, which interferes with the main course of the sentence, ad make clear the intended meaning that volcanoes are in the boundaries while hot spots are in the interiors.

Removing the parenthesis makes it "Unlike most volcanoes, the hot spots are harboured" and comparing most volcanoes to the hot spots doesn't seem correct to me. I am still sticking with D, but I'm not sure. This is a tough one and I would like to know the OA.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Lethal

I composed this passage as part of my tutorials for my online GMAT students. You will not find a source for these in any other place. Hence, you may take my answer and explanation as the official ones.

Now, you say:

Removing the parenthesis makes it "Unlike most volcanoes, the hot spots are harbored" and comparing most volcanoes to the hot spots doesn't seem correct to me

If you can not compare volcanoes with hot spots, what else is the comparison between? Volcanoes and earth’s crust? The intention is to compare volcanoes found along the boundaries with the hot spots found in the interiors.

(D) Hot spots, harbored on the Earth’s surface and lying deeply in the interior of the plates, unlike most volcanoes, are found along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust

In the case of Choice D, the parenthesis content is “harbored on the Earth’s surface and lying deeply in the interior of the plates, unlike most volcanoes” You must remove both the features i.e., “harbored on the earth’s surface” as well as “unlike most volcanoes” The you are left with –“Hot spots …… are found along the boundaries of the continental and oceanic plates that comprise the Earth’s crust”. Isn’t this an anti- thesis?

Therefore D is wrong

In most of the 700 plus questions, you find more of the altered intent, improper word usage examples with plenty of grey areas, making them quite time – consuming to solve in the pressure – cooker atmosphere of the real GMAT and leading to the downfall of many an aspirant, And that is the crux of GMAT

Hope this helps .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.11
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
It cannot be D as the meaning absolutely changed...E seems the correct one but ya this one was quite confusing.
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
IMO E it is the only option in which the modifiers are linked to the correct object i.e. Volcanoes found along boundaries and hotspots lying deep in the surface
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
OA is certainly Choice E
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 759 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Send PM
This is a good question, though I was stuck b/w D and E but thanks to the explanation of daagh!

E makes sense.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 749 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2013
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
Nice Question, Time consuming but good practice!

Archived Topic
Hi there,
This topic has been closed and archived due to inactivity or violation of community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Where to now? Join ongoing discussions on thousands of quality questions in our Sentence Correction (EA only) Forum
Still interested in this question? Check out the "Best Topics" block above for a better discussion on this exact question, as well as several more related questions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
Current Student
278 posts