Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Apr 2014, 17:17

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 12:53
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

0% (00:00) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 0 sessions
Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

A. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

B. Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish.

C. Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.

D. It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.

E. Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I selected A. It was wrong. What do you go for and why? Thanks!

Last edited by scgmat on 10 Aug 2006, 13:46, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 13:44
Vote for D.

It is very difficult to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart. - This is the core sentence.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 13:51
if i am to correct C, my sentence would be:

C. Unlike those[male and female] in most warbler species, the male and female in blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.
VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 13:51
b/w C and D... this deals with parallel comparison... I also researched "tell apart", which turns out to be perfectly correct grammar.

A. species compared to wabler

B. species compared to gender... not parallel

C. Unlike those[male and female] in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.

D. It is very difficult, [unlike in most warbler species,] to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.

E. wablers compared to species of wabler

Unless someone can tell me what's wrong with C, I think it's gramatically corrrect, however, it introduces "distinguish", replacing "tell apart"...

I don't see anything wrong with D, and it uses orginal "tell apart", so I'd go with it...
CEO
CEO
Schools: Completed at SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - Class of 2008
Followers: 13

Kudos [?]: 60 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 14:01
u2lover wrote:
scgmat wrote:

C. Unlike those[male and female] in most warbler species, the male and female in blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.

I see it now... so then must be D

:no D is wrong

It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female IN blue-winged warbler apart.

I think E is best.

SAID BUSINESS SCHOOL, OXFORD - MBA CLASS OF 2008

VP
VP
Followers: 4

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 14:04
... these details.... :hammer oh thanks dahiya

Last edited by u2lover on 10 Aug 2006, 14:05, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 14:04
u2lover wrote:
scgmat wrote:

I see it now... so then must be D

D definitely is the first choice to eliminate. there is no parallelism at all. GMAT prefers:

Unlike noun A, noun B... or Noun B, unlike noun A, ...
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 14:09
Quote:
:no D is wrong

It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female IN blue-winged warbler apart.

I think E is best.

only noun can follow like/unlike clause. "unlike in most warbler species," is wrong.
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

[#permalink] New post 10 Aug 2006, 22:28
I barely chose E.. However, I could find no real explanations why. It just appeared to be the least 'awkward' between C,D,E

C- 'Unlike those' is improperly used with 'with the male and female'

D- Just sounds funny (Sorry for the lack of reasoning

E- Although wordy and ugly, the better of the evils
Current Student
Followers: 21

Kudos [?]: 110 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: SC: Test Code 52 #22 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 06:04
scgmat wrote:
Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

A. Unlike most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warbler are very difficult to tell apart.

B. Unlike most warbler species, the gender of the blue-winged warbler is very difficult to distinguish.

C. Unlike those in most warbler species, the male and female blue-winged warblers are very difficult to distinguish.

D. It is very difficult, unlike in most warbler species, to tell the male and female blue-winged warbler apart.

E. Blue-winged warblers are unlike most species of warbler in that it is very difficult to tell the male and female apart.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I selected A. It was wrong. What do you go for and why? Thanks!

B/C can be immediately dismissed because the idiomatic constuction "distinguish between" is incomplete. D makes an unclear comparison between the male (warbler/blue winged warbler).

After several scans I chose (E)

2:46
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 10:11
the oa is E!
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
 [#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 10:59
E is the answer. Although there is temptation to select C, if you closely look at it the comparison is still wrong
Intern
Intern

[#permalink] New post 11 Aug 2006, 14:51
the OA is E.
  [#permalink] 11 Aug 2006, 14:51